Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
duroturk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
It was really fun to me to roll in the Saratov Oblasti's long stretches. Now we are in the steppe.

Republic of Kalmykia.

The we finally reach to Volgograd, which is one of our main stops. We were very interested in to see this beautiful city because we have heard and read many stories about Battle of Stalingrad. Movies, books, music... Lots of things about this city.

Volgograd (old Stalingrad) is an important industrial city. Under Stalin, the city became a center of heavy industry and transshipment by rail and river, and as a result was attacked by Axis forces during World War II.

And the city is located by the Volga River and it is very long. It took quite a lot of time to reach our friends place after entering the city. And the traffic was quite bad I really had to use all of my hooliganic skills to get through.

But finally we were at our friends Lera&Sergey's cool and comfortable house.

We had a nice dinner together and again :) went to bed early. We wanted to use the next day on maximum efficiency to see this important city.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
duroturk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next day we spent all of our time to see Volgograd. I think there is no need of comments, I would like to share some photos with some little explanations.

Very importand and nice city.

I think this is one of the good things of motorcycling: Motorcycling did take us to see these part of the country, otherwise it would have been much more difficult.

Mamayev Kurgan is a memorial complex commemorating the Battle of Stalingrad (August 1942 to February 1943). At the time of its installation in 1967 the statue named The Motherland Calls formed the largest free-standing sculpture in the world.

The Battle of Stalingrad is among the bloodiest battles in the history of warfare, with nearly two million casualties.

Panoramic museum "Battle of Stalingrad".

Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
duroturk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This picture shows the life next to the museum. And the famous "dancing bridge" on Volga.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
duroturk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Volgograd.

he Planetarium! They were having all different shows every hour.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
duroturk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We kept riding by the Volga river. Altough our next stop is Kazan, Tatarstan we were needing to sleep somewhere else in the middle. We had no idea where to stop and sleep but soon we were about to witness one of our best moments int his trip.

We stop by this roadside seller to buy fruits and to fill our stomachs. Conversation started in Russian and turned into Turkish. Very good Turkish! This Krygyz woman has lived in Bursa for a couple of years. And she gave us one bottle of condensed milk (sguschonka) as present :)

Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
duroturk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Late in the afternoon we reached to this town. For us "Balakovo" did not mean anything so far but after our stay it became an important place.

First we thought to ride through it and carry on. But at some point we came accross this girl ona a scooter and asked some directions. SHe told us to follow and took us to a square where the bikers meet every day. Time was passing and we asked her for a hotel.

Whlie I was fooling with her scooter under the statue of uncle Lenin, she made one phone call and said "Tonight you guys are staying with us, haraso?"

"Haraso, haraso.. Ocin haraso!"

Then we followed her to the outskirts of this nuclear city. The place we reach is the garage of the local motorcycle club "9th Block".

Boys were inside having their weekly meeting while the girls are waiting outside. They told us that girls were not allowed to join these meetings. They are quite strict on rules.

Then one guy came out of the garage and welcome us. They put our bike inside the garage and send us to one of the guys apartment to change our clothes and freshen up.

And we came back for the party!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
duroturk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There is a nuclear powerplant in Balakovo and it is planned to have 9 blocks in it. Rİght now it is on 5th block I guess but the construction work is on progress. Most of our friends are working in this powerplant and they named their club referring to their work place. IX Block!

They are all supernice people and they have organized a dinner and a small party for us.

And this funny bottle rocks!

We went to their second garage to see the custom works.

After seeing these Ural's I started to think... "Fly to Russia, find an Ural and ride to east...."

They said: "Are you fucking crazy?"
Old 04-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
duroturk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It was a great evening!

We have made our final photos and I was thinking that we are drunk enough and it is time to go to bed. But they say "No. There is one more thing to do!"

We got in the cars and drove into the darkness. I had no idea where we were going. After a while we stopped in the woods next to Volga River.

It was the time to swim in Volga in midnight!

And it was a great experience and unforgettable memory to swim in the warm and clean water of Volga.

Opposite to my expectation only the boys were completely naked. This is the part that I want to forget.

And I owe one more big thank to our host Anton. Great man!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Thanks for the wonderful report and pictures from your travels. Magnificent trip.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
RedLeg
Itchy and Burning

Oddometer: 69
We so have to get a group of people together and go to the Dancing Bridge...that was friggin awesome!!!
RedLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
Jimdamit
не стреляйте

Oddometer: 42
This is a very cool ride report! Thank you for sharing it with us. I hope you heal fast and are able to enjoy more rides like these... and ski in the off-season!

"Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." -- Unknown
Jimdamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #27
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,419
Great ride report!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #28
duroturk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I thank you all for your interest. I am happy if you guys like it!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,321
Awesome stuff! Keep it coming man, especially the pictures!

I really, really, really want to do a Russia ride some day.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php

KMC1 screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 10:45 AM
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #30
duroturk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Awesome stuff! Keep it coming man,me specially the pictures!

I really, really, really want to do a Russia ride some day.
I am sure you'll make it man!