Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #31
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
5 has more gravel and less paved - including some fun creek crossings on the south side of the Smokies. Also the abandoned scenic highway - the post apocalyptic highway.

6 has a higher percentage of paved, but also has a few sections of tough stuff in the NRA in Va.

What you ran tire wise probably would again be a good choice.... I used K270's when I laid it out, but I was scouting some stuff that was much tougher - ended up I couldn't use it.

Glad you enjoyed it.....
Thanks NorthernTraveler for your effort in putting this together, and thanks for the reply. I think I've settled on some Metzeler Sahara 3's then.

Thanks.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 755
I did this trip in May of last year. It was much warmer and I could go from 6am to 7pm. I was able to average 300 or so miles a day with one day 340 miles and longest was 366 miles. Florida sure was fun going fast on the sand roads while Alabama was the slowest with all the turns and connections to dirt.

You have lots of good pictures. I don't think I took that many.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #33
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
More from GA:

This was the river I had crossed earlier. By the way, the awesome creek crossing and these pics shortly to follow are easily bypassed by the TET 4 BBB (Big Bike Bypass). I don't have any pics of how gnarly this section really was, and correspondingly how fun it really was. I think a 1200 cc adv bike could do it - if the rider was above average. There is steep and loose hill climb on this section that was challenging for me on my husky. It wasn't the hardest stuff I have ever been on, but it was the hardest stuff I faced on this trip. If you are teetering on this bypass, my advice is to take it and find out. The 100+ foot creek crossing is only bypassed by the BBB.

Here is that creek crossing again:

Loving your RR. Your in my stomping grounds(Rabun Co, Ga) and I am familiar with the areas you are riding through. When I owned my Yamaha Super Tenere I rode these trails a lot and yes it's doable on a big bike but a lot of work. Riding a Husky TR650 now and the last time I crossed the Talullah river I filled my boots and was concerned about filling the air box as well. The river has been a little high this year due to good rains.
wolftrax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #34
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Cool report. Thanks dude
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Thanks Wolftraxs and drags. Wolftraxs, I use to own a Super Tenere. I miss it badly. I kept wondering if it could have handled this tough section in northern GA, and I came to the conclusion that it could. I had taken it on worse stuff before. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #36
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Thanks Wolftraxs and drags. Wolftraxs, I use to own a Super Tenere. I miss it badly. I kept wondering if it could have handled this tough section in northern GA, and I came to the conclusion that it could. I had taken it on worse stuff before. Thanks for the reply.
I'm getting older and picking up the 600 lb beast really was getting to be too much. It was a blast though plowing through the trails. The Terra is no light weight, but 400 lbs is a heap easier than 600. Hey if you ever get down this way again PM me.
wolftrax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #37
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Alright, thanks.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
John65
D Ol Man

Oddometer: 1,387
Good Report
as LJRider posted earlier, we rode this last year, but we rode it on 3 different trips, and we rode all but Alabama in CCW direction.
The first one was Alabama section in May on the way to 2nd part of TAT (for us), and the Florida section in August (very wet) and Georgia portion in November.
On our trips, Florida was extremely wet and all other portions were dry. The Talulah river crossing at end of Charlies Creek Road was less than 18" when we crossed it.
We live in this area (south Ga) and are accustomed to the stops and starts, so we made close to 300 MPD except in mountains of North Ga.
Take a look at 'TET Florida' below and see what sand is like when fully saturated.
TET Florida Section
TET Georgia Section
John65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #39
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by John65 View Post
Good Report
as LJRider posted earlier, we rode this last year, but we rode it on 3 different trips, and we rode all but Alabama in CCW direction.
The first one was Alabama section in May on the way to 2nd part of TAT (for us), and the Florida section in August (very wet) and Georgia portion in November.
On our trips, Florida was extremely wet and all other portions were dry. The Talulah river crossing at end of Charlies Creek Road was less than 18" when we crossed it.
We live in this area (south Ga) and are accustomed to the stops and starts, so we made close to 300 MPD except in mountains of North Ga.
Take a look at 'TET Florida' below and see what sand is like when fully saturated.
Wow John65! You definitely did FL wet! I remember those very roads and crossings, as well as the missed turn (I missed it too, but made an about face before it was too late). The night before I did Tate's Hell (going north out of Carabelle), there was a pretty steady thunderstorm, so I was swimming as well, but not as bad as you guys seemed to have had it. That whole day from Carabelle, FL to Eaufala, AL was wet and muddy, with many close calls.

But gees, it wasn't as wet as your endeavor. Nice pics and RR.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
John65
D Ol Man

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Wow John65! You definitely did FL wet! I remember those very roads and crossings, as well as the missed turn (I missed it too, but made an about face before it was too late). The night before I did Tate's Hell (going north out of Carabelle), there was a pretty steady thunderstorm, so I was swimming as well, but not as bad as you guys seemed to have had it. That whole day from Carabelle, FL to Eaufala, AL was wet and muddy, with many close calls.

But gees, it wasn't as wet as your endeavor. Nice pics and RR.

Thanks.
We had as much fun riding that trip as any we've done, and we've been on quite a few.
Enjoyed reading your report,,, was beginning to think nobody else was going to do a report on it...
after missing that turn, I decided to build an overlay map for all our trips after that
TET Florida Section
TET Georgia Section
John65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #41
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Tet-s

Thank you for your report!
There is very little posted about the TET-S. I plan to ride it this summer and am glad to have some more feed back on the ride.

Thanks, Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #42
TreeManG23
TreeMan Racing

Oddometer: 902
Awesome trip & pics!!!

2004 KLR650, 1985 KLR250
2001 KX 250 #762 B
SmugMug Discount Coupon d5HbqatMuaR3a
TreeManG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #43
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeManG23 View Post
Awesome trip & pics!!!
Thanks TreeMan,

I just got back from the Ocean Pond to Key West trip. I had to reroute quite a few times but it was still an awesome trip. I'll do a ride report within the next week.