User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
bete OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
wee vs 990

I know I'm asking this in a pro KTM forum but it's a start, Local dealer has a used 07 990 adv. well equipped and I,m ok with the price, if I buy this I have to sell my 650 v-strom so is this a bike that will do everything better than the wee? I really like the wee but would like more power and better off road capability's, any help? thanks. bete.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,614
The Wee is a fine machine that will never let you down. Change the oil every few thousand miles and you're good to go. I've owned two and they got me where I wanted to go. My first ride on the 990 was like HOLY SHIT! Way more offroad capable. Ass end kicks out on a gravel road and it doesn't feel like the end of the world like the Wee would. Feels natural. The only down side for me is having to carry extra fuel to get me back home but in my mind it's a small price to pay for the performance of the 9XX. A little more maintenance with the 9XX but nothing that anyone can't do.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
bete OP
Studly Adventurer

Speaking of fuel, what's the range on the 990?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,561
Perspective

I have an 07 Wee
And an 07 990

Comparing them is totally apples to oranges.

Wee is better for daily commuting and running around town, It gets better MPG, is more suited to stop and go traffic and can handle the heat without having the fan run all the time. Lights are better at night.

It is the jack of all trades master of none motorcycle.

I have over 110K miles on mine and it has been a flawless tool for the job.

990 - This bike is pure unadultered fun, so long as your not having to sit in traffic, it has an undersized cooling system. The bike was built for racing and performs as such.

From a riding perspective it is no comparison. The 990 is faster, flicks easier in the twisties, has better suspension and brakes. Performance wise it is miles ahead of the Wee.

Flip side it is more difficult to maintain, requires more attention than the wee but makes that up in spades.

Oh and while the Wee gets 55mpg all the time the EFI on the 990 might get you 45 while commuting but the refinement of the EFI is poor compared to the Wee right out of the box and depending on what year 990 you get. There are solutions but it has to be sorted.

So that said, the question to be asked is what are going to be using it for. My Wee is ridden every day for work, errand and running around town or taken on the pavement only trips which are far and few between.

The 990 is purely my touring off road weapon of choice for multiday off road trips.

Dont know if this helps but regardless there is my .02
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
bete OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guy's, this bike would be my long range explorer bike, if I sell the wee I still have a KLR to use for short runs and such. So far the 990 is sounding pretty good. bete.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,384
I was smiling with the "do everything better than the Wee" comment. Everything but fuel mileage.

I've never been able to get much better than 35 mpg on mine, which is stock. It doesn't matter what sort of riding I'm doing either. I would feel uncomfortable trying to go 150 miles on a tank, but I've come close to that. It has a low fuel warning that starts counting up when it detects a low fuel condition. Supposedly the number of miles you have left is different for each bike, but I know that mine is good for at least 25 miles without hitting true empty. The last time I tried to go a bit too far I was up around 20 when I finally found that gas station that I was sure had to be just a mile or two up ahead (for about 15 miles).

Other than that, it should do just about everything else better.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,561
On the 990's MPG is a funny thing, it really has a lot to do with what map you get loaded.

When mine was still EFI I tried everything to get it sorted, finally just ditched the EFI and went to carbs.

Then TuneBoy came out, and with that all the EFI woes have been sorted and there are loads of maps out there for specific applications (pipes, prefilter etc) so at least now there is a solution to the problem that forced me to the ultimate solution. Carbs (for me that is)
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
Speaking of fuel, what's the range on the 990?
My buddy and I just did a 2000 mile trip with some highway, lots of secondary roads and 500 miles of dirt. Through it all we averaged about 40 mpg, which means hitting reserve right a 160 miles. Mine's a standard '11 with aftermarket pipes and his is a '12 Dakar, both running stock maps.

Never owned a Wee so I can't comment, but I sold my KLR which didn't even get one ride after the day I rode a 990.
el queso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Wee vs 990? Not trying to sound obnoxious but is this even a question worth asking?
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
The Wee also has a considerably smoother motor. Having owned an LC4 I didn't find the LC8 a problem and I'd never really considered that it vibed significantly but riding it back to back with my friends Wee, the DL650 is a *way* smoother. I prefer the hydro clutch on the LC8.

My buddies all get mid 50s mpg on their DL650s. 35 seems very low. The mid 50s and regular 87 make the Wee far cheaper to run, when we went to Copper Canyon I figured my fuel bill was about 50% higher than my friend on the DL650.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
The Savage Rabbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I commute on my '12 Dakar 60 miles round trip in LA traffic. Bike handles that better than my KLR 685. Selling the KLR since I've completely ignored it since buying the 990. The 990 is like the illegitimate love child of my KlR and Ducati 848 Evo.

I've owned 11 bikes in my 5 years of riding. I've had cruisers, super standards, super sports, sport tourers and adv bikes. 65,000 miles of commuting, canyon riding, touring, weekend trips, and light off road. The 990 is the only bike that I feel can replace them all. It is the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Ductati fun. KLR useful. FJR comfortable. Harley sound (with the akra pipes).

This thing might have saved me a ton of money had I found it first!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
I have an 07 Wee
And an 07 990

Comparing them is totally apples to oranges.
I think it's more like comparing Oranges to Potatoes.

I've had both at the same time. The Wee is a big angry scooter, no - maybe just slightly miffed scooter. Solid bike, but much more of a street bike. Every thing is built to a price point. Almost every minute riding it, I wished I was on the KTM instead.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Wee and 990 makes more sense to me than KLR and 990.

I'd sell the KLR.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #14
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
Thanks guy's, this bike would be my long range explorer bike, if I sell the wee I still have a KLR to use for short runs and such. So far the 990 is sounding pretty good. bete.
Sell the KLR, keep the Wee, buy the 990
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #15
bete OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys, going for a test ride this afternoon! bete.