User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
ducnek OP
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 987
Ozark Trip Info

I'm planning a trip to the Ozark NF and NW Arkansas. The dates are May 11-19th, 2013. I will be traveling from Mid-TN, slabbing it.

We will be on a 1200GS, and a F800GS, both of us are experienced dual sport riders. We will be camping most nights and probably do a moto cabin/cheap hotel every 2-3 nights for a good shower etc.

I have a tentative base camp of Clarksville Ark, but I am open to suggestions.

I have a TWTEX book & MVUM maps that has route suggestions NW of Clarksville Ark. I am using it as a rough guide.

We will be pre-loading routes into a Garmin 600 to use for navigation and for food, gas, etc.

I am looking for route suggestions, info links, ride report links, GPX files, paved twisties, and big bike gravel/dirt.

Also looking for info on camping, moto cabins, hotels, food, etc.

I would like to exit I40 as far East as possible and travel through the NF as we head West.

ducnek screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 06:02 AM
ducnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,355
SLAP

NWA SLAP trax

Welcome to the Ozarks!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
ducnek OP
Misadventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
SLAP

NWA SLAP trax

Welcome to the Ozarks!
I'm on it! Thanks!

What are the best moto camping spots or areas North of Clarksville Ark?

In other NF I usually just pick a spot and throw up my tent out of site somewhere.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,652
for the twisties
get a copy of the butler maps for the ozarks, not that you really need it,, so many of the roads are great, but this will help optimize your trip, they rate good roads as gold, orange and red go for the gold

http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle.../45/Ozarks-Map
Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner

Oddometer: 238
Camping
If you can camp in the NF and feed yourself, you won't have any trouble finding spots....they are everywhere. There a bunch of campgrounds dotted throughout the NF too.

Twisties
If you are going to be in Clarksville I'd certainly take Hwy 103 north to 215 and eat at the Oark General Store. There is gravel east of the store but the best road is Hwy 215 to the west. It will run into Hwy 23 (Pig Trail). From that intersection, you can go south on 23 and hit Hwy 352 which will take you back to Clarksville (short loop) or go north on 23 to Hwy 16 east to Hwy 21 and back to Clarksville (longer loop).

One of my favorite roads begins just east of Clarksville at Lamar. Hwy 123 north from Lamar to Pelsor is great but it gets even better if you continue on up to just southeast of Jasper to Hwy 374 (I think). Hwy 123 is beautiful and there are many NF roads off of it to explore. The Ozark Café in Jasper has pretty good grub and is right on the north side of the square.

Another favorite is Hwy 27 north of Hector (northwest of Russellville). I like running this road from south to north because you will be going uphill for the tight stuff. This will take you to Tilly where you can take Hwy 16 west back to Pelsor (junction of Hwy 7, 123 and 16)

Jasper west to Boxley on Hwy 74 is nice and will put you back on Hwy 21 where you can go south back to Clarksville.

There is a short cut between Hwy 21 and Hwy 103 on Co. Rd 4400 (again, I think). The turn off is just north of the Cum-N-Go (not making that up) on Hwy 21 north of Clarksville. It takes you to Harmony and makes it so you don't have to drive through Clarksville again.

Damn, that was a long post. PM me if you need more info on any specific roads in the area. This is my back yard.
Have a great trip,
Mike
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
slowarc
Whiskey Tango

Oddometer: 2,431
For good routes in the Russellville area I suggest a PM to Dagwood_55. He saves all our big bike tracks in a database. Enjoy.
slowarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
slowarc
Whiskey Tango

Oddometer: 2,431
Also

devrodirt for a resource on tracks/routes. I rode with him yesterday and I think he invented AR. He knows every knob and holler.
slowarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowarc View Post
devrodirt for a resource on tracks/routes. I rode with him yesterday and I think he invented AR. He knows every knob and holler.
yeah..but he's gettin old!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
rboett
posser noob 205

I just did a ride today , one spot that you may want to stay is Jasper, AR. Lots of twisties in and out, central to lots of good roads,, they have a few places to stay since they are on the buffalo river, and since there is a tourist focus on canoe trips .

There are like 5 two laners converging on Jasper, each one a great ride. So you can go north, east , south or west,, do some great loops and return.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
ducnek OP
Misadventurer

Awesome!

Thanks for all the responses!

Old 04-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
devrodirt
devro

Oddometer: 505
Jasper is a great central location, I think someone told you of that. No beer there, bring your own. Ozark Cafe is there for food. They have a couple rooms to let if you want, The Back Porch I think. On the corner is the best pastry shop south of the Artic Circle. They make an AWESOME breakfast sandwich of your liking too.

I'll give ya one little ride, gravel and hard road:

South of Jasper, on Hwy 7, there is a wide spot in the road, Cowell. There is a sign that says, "Cowell" on it and one house. You can buy dirt and Watkins ointments there.
Take the gravel road from Cowell to Mount Judy. Stop in the Eagle Nest Cafe in Mt Judy and see what the daily special is. Don't insult the natives by calling their community "Mount Ju-de-a", it's Judy.
Take Hwy 123 south out of Mt Judy.
After the major switchbacks a few miles look for a little sign for "Sam's Throne" on your right. Ride to the parking place and walk to the bluffs. If you are lucky there will be 1/2 naked collage girls laying in the sun and climbing the bluffs.
Continue on 123 until you get to the gravel forest road that takes you to Richland Creek Campground, will be a left turn. Visit the campground for a swim, or dip in at the bridge, or just hang around. Will be "greenies" there and others from Little Rock who are WAY above your level of appreciation of the Ozark National Forest. Don't even bother talking with them. You will know who they are by sight, they are very intellegent looking, drive Toyota RAV 4's and Honda Pilots, they wear the latest hiking gear and might be dorning bear bells. Might be a good 'ol boy or two there too who might give you a beer and let you shoot a few rounds through their new guns.
Continue on that road, it's Falling Water Road now, all gravel.
Stop at Falling Water Falls on your left, take pictures and talk with the locals who will be letting the kids swim and jump off the falls. You can jump off the falls too if you want to. Maybe a horse person or two there too. Lots of horse trails in that area so watch out for them, they like to drink and drive/ride.
Continue on Faling Water Road until you get to Hwy 16. Figure out where you want to go from there, there are about 16 ways back to Newton County from there and you aint got enough time to get to many of them.

You have a Garmin so I figure you can map/track/route that little journey by yourself.

ride straight and don't run over snakes, leave 'em alone.
devro
Out here where you can breathe. Lyle Lovett
devrodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #12
ducnek OP
Misadventurer

Thanks Devro, sounds perfect, will get to routin' that out this week, less than 2 weeks till departure!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
devrodirt
devro

Oddometer: 505
Not a problem.
Let us know how your trip goes.

ride straight,
devro
Out here where you can breathe. Lyle Lovett
devrodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
rboett
posser noob 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
We have had a rear wheel bearing fail on my buddies
f800. Does anyone know a shop to get it pressed out near Orark AR?

PM or txt/call me 615-351-6567
Bummer. If you need a bmw dealer there is one in Bentonville.
not real close, but I'm sure they could help you.

479-273-1807
bentonvillebmw@cox-internet.com

Ill take a look at the Bmw anonymous. Book for you
, maybe someone close by can help

update,, I left a couple numbers on your voice mail for 2 guys from the BMW anaonymous book in Clarksville,, call them and tell them you got there numbers from the book.

good luck

rboett screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 06:47 PM
rboett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
ducnek OP
Misadventurer

Thanks for the info. It shit the bed in ozark at i40
We are staying in eureka springs. Had to double back up 23 75 miles thru rain fog & darkness. Lost a lens from my glasses along the way, LONG DAY