Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Tunderpants
n00b sauce

Oddometer: 5
You can remove a significant amount of weight off the newer Speed Triple by simply going to an after market slip on. The stock pipe is big, heavy and high on the tail end. Comp Werkes makes a small one that is said to be a huge improvement (under $400) that I'm looking at. That being said, the handling is already outstanding in my opinion. I've only ridden liter bikes and above though.
Tunderpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa View Post
If U think the Speed Triple is a Pig wonder what you would think of my B King set up as a sport tourer? Surprise it handles well in the twisties!
Fellow B-Kinger here, those side pod's throw off a lot of people. They assume it is heavier because of the looks. You're looking (per Suzuki's Site) a weight of 573lbs for a 2012 Hayabusa (don't know if wet or dry, assume wet). The King is 526 dry. The illusion is caused by the Busa being 28.9" wide and the b-king being 31".

I've always liked the triples and would love to have one. Only issue is the lack of close by dealer support for them around me. Going solely by looks I like what appears to be the more humpbacked tank of the speed triple.
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
trapperj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Triples

All good points..thanks. I don't have dealer support for most of the bikes I own. The big local dealer with all the euro bikes went belly up in the summer. Rumor has it someone else is going to open up but who knows?? I usually avoid the dealer at all cost (except for warranty) anyways.

Knoxville is not a metropolis ...but having to drive to a smaller city for a dealer seems kinda nuts....110 plus miles to nearest BMW,Husquvarna, Triumph dealer.....KTM is 150 miles away for full on street bike service. Looking tomorrow in Kingsport...then riding over to Asheville. I phoned the Ashville dealer and asked about the street r...told them I was riding over. They said they "might" find time to unbox a 2013 so I can have a look...

Of course maybe they don't want it to sell....?
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
JeffPM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I have a Street Triple R and LOVE IT! It is the most fun street bike I have ever owned. In fact, I'm surprised I haven't lost my license yet (knock on wood). I'm 5'11" and 165 and the bike fits me well. I've done a few track days with it and plan several more this year. Light and flickable. Power-wise you get enough of both worlds, and the sound of the bike when you're start pushing 10k is intoxicating.

I did test drive both the Speed and Street (this was several years ago), and for me I liked the Street better.

Good luck with your decision, buying a new bike is always fun.

'09 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom
'09 Triumph Street Triple R
JeffPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
Dankarnov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I have a '12 Speedie and can confirm that the sensation another poster mentioned of constantly being stuck behind another car is 100% true. On the other hand if a passing opportunity comes up, you don't accelerate as much as teleport past.

I haven't ridden a Street but the general consensus seems to be, the Speed has better fit and finish, and better individual pieces parts, but the Street is the more fun total package. Keep in mind that if the stock suspension / brakes underwhelm you, you don't necessarily have to step up to the R, the Street easily takes upgrades from other middleweight bikes (CBR6RR shock, that sort of stuff)
Dankarnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 701
We have both. The Street gets WAY more time than the Speed. The Street is like a 2 wheel F1 car-SO very quick to change direction.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #22
NCGS
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 1,181
There's a fella in GA who has a low-mile 15th Anniversary S3 for sale/trade in the Flea Market. That's always been one of my favorites.

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.
NCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #23
3sum
local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
I know it's considered heresy to not like a Speed Triple. Sort of like not liking the Beatles.

But the Speed Trip is a pig. A pig with lots of power, but a pig nonetheless.
A pig? Wow. Compared to a full-on race bike I guess it is. Anyway....

Trapperj, I am the one NCGS spoke of. I'll actually in your close vicinity in two weeks (Tellico Plains to be exact). Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #24
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 492
I'm a small guy and have never ridden the Speed, so my input may not carry much weight. However, I'm about your age (52) and have owned many larger bikes and I love my Street Triple R. I tend to trade bikes often but this is one I have rarely ever considered parting with (only when I start seeing Ducati red!). Right now it is my only ride, so I not only take it on local rides, I have taken it on a few trips as well. Strap on some Kriega's and off you go!

Shep
Old 04-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #25
Taarne
Hello World!

Oddometer: 48
I test rode a 2012 speed triple and a 2012 street triple back to back during the Triumph demo day last spring. I loved both bikes but honestly, the street triple felt better to me. It will happily chug away from ridiculously row rpms, yet seemed to rev endlessly. It was plenty fast for me.

The speed triple had a similar powerband where the motor is basically awesome through the whole rpm range, but the redline came was a few Ks lower. I'm sure it pulled a bit better than the street triple, but I must have been grinning wide enough to never notice on the street.

FWIW, I sold my last bike last fall and will most likely pick up a used street triple this spring. I was thoroughly convinced of Triumphs bikes :) I could stretch the budget to a speed triple, but see no reason to - I'm pretty sure the street is the perfect one for me.

Taarne screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 01:57 PM
Taarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
trapperj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Triples

Thanks for all the replies. I made it to the Asheville Triumph dealer Saturday. They had just unboxed a street r in the Matt finnish.It had not been serviced yet. Didn't get a chance to ride it. I am going to buy speed or street....really like the idea of the smaller bike.....just worried that I'll look like a duck on a junebug. Comparing the 2 bikes on the floor....they seem fairly close in size as far as how you fit on the bike.

I have always bought into the "bigger is better" thing....a few years ago I wouldn't have considered the street. My weight is near my high school weight after being too big for too long...less than 200# with all gear.

If I can convince myself I'm not too big for it I'll have one soon.....what's your thoughts on a color choice? I really like the white....but wonder if it'll make me look even bigger. While the black or especially the Matt color would maybe make me not stick out so much?..
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 431
google riders hill nice dealer in north ga.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
3sum
local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post

Shep
Do I recognize that pullout as the one on Richard Russell close to the 180 end?
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #29
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sum View Post
Do I recognize that pullout as the one on Richard Russell close to the 180 end?
Somewhere on the BRP, not too far from Asheville I think. I spent a week there last year and took daily rides out then relaxed each night at the Thirsty Monk. Plan to do the same this year.

Shep
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical Pilgrim View Post
So this may sound a little ridiculous, but hear me out:

I took a '12 street triple for a test ride last week, and it is haunting me. I come from an '03 Monster 620 and a '75 BMW. The Street Triple is an amazing machine. The Duc made me grin, the BMW made me smile. The Triumph made my jaw drop.

Shopping for a daily rider/commuter/occasional road tripper, I was looking at a BMW F800R, F700GS (mpg) and the Street Triple. Now I'm pretty much just looking at the Street Triple. My concern is a rather silly one. If I'm going to buy a first new bike, I might as well get it specced out. So my thinking is the R, right? Kinda like buying a BMW M3 vs. a 335 with a sport package (forgive me, my primary language is bimmer). But I really dislike the color red on bikes, cars, etc.

And I also want to see this thread grow, cause, DAMN that ride was fun. The world would be a better place if more people took one of these things down the road.

As always, much thanks to the ADV crew for insight, vitriol, and love.
There you have it.