Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #31
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
I've ridden both the new and old speed triple and they're very different bikes but I would never call either a pig!

The old bike you kind of steer from the rear. The suspension is a little bit on the soft side and it's kind of a "sunday-drivish" version of a hooligan bike with a cracking engine if that makes any sense at all.

The new Speed Triple is more focused and feels more like a modern Ducati Monster - there is significantly more weight over the front end and also much better feels for what's going on. It's still not super, super planted when pushing through long sweeping corners compared to something like a Fireblade - but then I've only ridden the stock Speed Triple and not the Speed Triple R. I imagine that the R bike would have everything 100% sorted.
i concur!
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #32
3sum
local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer: 128
The problem with these comparisons to me is that comparing a *sport*bike to a *race*bike is unfair. Does the Striple handle as well as a Daytona? No. Now, the Striple just might be the best overall streetbike going as a lot of people have said, but there's something to be said for twisting the throttle of a liter bike to get you out of trouble (or at least ending the suspense).

I'm a big bore whore though. I'll admit it.
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #33
flatland964
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I know your asking about the Triumph triples, but I also note that you mention favorably the upright seating position of the GS. I have a GS and was looking for something sporty as a second bike (I am selling the others). I sat on the Triumphs and on the Ducati Monster (the looks of which I love). While I won't say I was uncomfortable on any one of them, I was looking for a little less aggressive position.

This weekend the salesman put me on a Diavel, which I had never given a second look to. It is a more relaxed position and turns out to be very comfortable ergos for my 57 year old body, and 162 horses to boot. Took it out for a test ride and was absolutely floored by it. Took it out again on Monday and really, I have never ridden anything as fun - including my test ride of the Multistrada. I'll be signing for a pre-owned one later today. It's a financial stretch for me, but there is nothing else quite like it as far as I can tell. I have already forgiven it its looks.

Anyway, if you haven't already, it might be worth checking out. Maybe its not exactly a track bike with its big rear tire and relaxed ergos, so might not work for you, but for the street is all grins.
2001 BMW R1150GS
flatland964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #34
Taarne
Hello World!

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatland964 View Post
This weekend the salesman put me on a Diavel, which I had never given a second look to. It is a more relaxed position and turns out to be very comfortable ergos for my 57 year old body, and 162 horses to boot. Took it out for a test ride and was absolutely floored by it.
I totally agree that the Diavel is an amazing bike. I loved the ergos as well, it felt very light and the motor was spectacular, much better than any other Ducati I've ridden.

However, at least here in Finland the Diavel costs roughly three times as much as the street triple and over twice what the speed triple does. Running costs are likely much higher as well. I think we're comparing apples to gold-plated oranges here.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #35
flatland964
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taarne View Post
I totally agree that the Diavel is an amazing bike. I loved the ergos as well, it felt very light and the motor was spectacular, much better than any other Ducati I've ridden.

However, at least here in Finland the Diavel costs roughly three times as much as the street triple and over twice what the speed triple does. Running costs are likely much higher as well. I think we're comparing apples to gold-plated oranges here.
The difference is clearly not as great here, especially if you compare a pre-owned, low mileage Diavel to a new Street Triple, and there is little difference at all if you compare to a new Street Triple R. Of course, if you go pre-owned on the Triumph you are back to a difference. And I'll admit that difference is killing me, as I was originally in Street Triple price range, and am having to dig much deeper for those hidden pennies.
2001 BMW R1150GS
flatland964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #36
trapperj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Street triple on way to my garage!

I am the OP. Thanks for all the feedback. I found what I wanted in Chattnooga...may go get it tomorrow...or may wait and let them deliver a little later in the week. I am excited. It never gets old....the warm fuzzys you get when waiting on a new bike. I'll post pics and thoughts later on..

Now if I can just go to sleep."
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote