User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
petdav OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
best handguard/mirror/stabilizer combo

I'm just getting my new '12 990 [White] ready for some more adventure riding after badly crashing the 950 last year.
This time, I will make an effort to minimize potential crash damage to the levers, mirrors, master cylinders etc as my skills don't often match the terrain I ride.
I'm looking at the HDB mirror/handguard combo as an alternative for off-roading, then screw the stock mirrors back in for the street. How good are the HDB mirrors for street use? Or maybe the KTM folding mirrors from MotoScience with handlebar mounts instead of using factory mounting points?
Anyone know if the HDB stuff works with Scotts dampener and/or Kaoko throttle lock?
Thanks guys
petdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,652
The HBD mirrors work well- they're small, but well-positioned.

Been scrimping and saving grocery moeny to get a set and jettison my street mirrors- have some on my 525 and they work a treat.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Schleprock
Let's Do This!

Oddometer: 106
Kaoko and Fastway recommendation

I have a Kaoko and it works well. Myou just need to tell them because the right hand guard is a little longer to allow the Kaoko to fit. Go with the Fastway stabilizer, easier install and way less expensive. I have had both and the Fastway is just as good and the company is great to deal with. Hth
Schleprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
I've got some ram mounted mirrors and they are great. Tons of adjustment and if you crash they just get pushed out of the way
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
I have the KTM fold away mirrors and stock handguards and everything has been great. The stock ones are pretty damn strong, i've been down a few times on them.

The HDB are pretty sweet but I was worried the mirrors are not big enough and feel no need to change the stock handguards (yet).

Did you break the handguards on your 950 in your crash?
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Tremblant1
Tremblant1

Oddometer: 13
I broke my stock hand guards just moving the bike from the trailer to the shed coming back from the dealer. Still sitting in shed not ridden yet. ( snowed in with lots of salt still out there)

Cracked it right at the base of the inner brace. So 0 km and hand guards fails!!
No going to replacing them with stock that's for sure!
Tremblant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I have the HDB, flexx 12 high enduro bars with the kaoko and scotts sub mount. If you get the HDB there's no reason to use a different mirror for in town.

here's a pic http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...74&postcount=2

I'm doing the exact same setup for my 2013 690.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,048
i just put the HDB setup on my 990, and i love the handguards, but i do not get along with the mirrors. the way i have my guards (for max hand/lever protection, essentially parallel to the ground) i cannot adjust the mirrors high enough. all i see in the mirror is the 990 sticker on the side panel when i ride. i would have to heat up the plastic and bend the guard out of the way so i can adjust the mirror to work. they look good though

the top clamp switch setup is second to none, and i love it! currently i am running the stock mirrors and am considering the double take mirrors.

Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rodney View Post
the way i have my guards (for max hand/lever protection, essentially parallel to the ground) i cannot adjust the mirrors high enough.
Sure you can- I do it on mine. Pivot the mirrors down (round part towards the ground) then twist them- the mount has a dimple on th eside that touches the handguard. You might have the bolt too tight.

I made the same mistake until I got a little more aggressive with them.

Lemme see if I can grab a snappy....

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
petdav OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
best handguard/mirror/stabilizer combo

Re: Did you break the handguards on your 950 in your crash?

They didn't break but twisted during the ~50 mph endo in the Black Rock Desert - result bent clutch lever, broken clutch perch etc. Bike was totalled this time but even in a lesser crash, I worry about this type of damage stranding me in a desolate area without spare parts. I feel proper handguards may make the bars bend slightly - but I could limp home with bent bars!

Re: i just put the HDB setup on my 990, and i love the handguards, but i do not get along with the mirrors. the way i have my guards (for max hand/lever protection, essentially parallel to the ground) i cannot adjust the mirrors high enough. all i see in the mirror is the 990 sticker on the side panel when i ride. i would have to heat up the plastic and bend the guard out of the way so i can adjust the mirror to work. they look good though

This is the type of info I am curious about - I also tend to ride onroad with the wind deflectors parallel to the ground [and need a good mirror for the traffic] then when offroad I tilt the bars upwards [Renthal 608's] for standing on the pegs.

Sorry, but I have trouble with the looks of the ram mounted mirrors.
petdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Sure you can- I do it on mine. Pivot the mirrors down (round part towards the ground) then twist them- the mount has a dimple on th eside that touches the handguard. You might have the bolt too tight.

I made the same mistake until I got a little more aggressive with them.

Lemme see if I can grab a snappy....
so, you run the mirror UNDER the bars, not like my pic?

these are the mirrors i am contemplating: double take mirror

Old 04-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rodney View Post
so, you run the mirror UNDER the bars, not like my pic?

these are the mirrors i am contemplating: double take mirror

Nope.

Hard to explain.

From the seated position, rotate the mirror clockwise until it contacts the aluminum handguard. Then push the mirror away from you. It will feel like it's bending backwards. Try it first with the pivot bolt very loose.

The part of the mirror through which the bolt runs is actually a ball-and-socket type joint, intended to swivel a bit. If you loosen the mounting bolt, you'll see what I mean.

Give it a try.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer: 108

HDB is a great piece of kit and the customer service from Paul is top notch. Took a little bit to get used to the mirror set up, but other than that no regrets. No problems adjusting the mirror. I usually position one so I can see behind me when standing.
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessJoe View Post

HDB is a great piece of kit and the customer service from Paul is top notch. Took a little bit to get used to the mirror set up, but other than that no regrets. No problems adjusting the mirror. I usually position one so I can see behind me when standing.

i am used to riding with mirrors like that on my supermoto, but i cannot seem to adjust them to work. these mirrors were stupid cheap, and were convex and i could spin them the way i wanted them:

Old 04-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
The Rizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Hey guys, I'm trying to find a stock left hand side mirror. The standard righty tighty, lefty loosey thread. I will send you a right hand mirror in trade or some cash. Thanks!

Sold, stolen, or totalled: 2004 525 EXC, 2009 Street Triple, 2005.5 950 Adventure, 2003 DRZ400e, 2000 DR650, 2004 KLR650, 2003 DRZ400s, 2002 DRZ400s, 2003 FZ1, 1998 VFR800, 1996 Ninja 250 race bike, 2000 TL1000R, 2000 ZR7.
The Rizz is offline   Reply With Quote