ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
dmasters458 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I-80 Sacramento to Reno question

I want to go to Reno next week with my wife on my Concours 14 and do some riding in Nevada. If I time it so that I am riding through the higher elevations mid-day am I going to have to worry about snow/ice? Its it that cold this time of year? I am from Buffalo, NY and I have only been here in Oakland since August. I have lived most of my life at sea-level and do not know when it is safe to travel into the mountains. thanks.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
nomad guy
nonaffiliated

Oddometer: 784
At the current condition of the I-80 you shouldn't have any problem.
BTW- this is the official CA road condition site.
It is a great time of year to travel over the sierra as the vistas are great.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
80 should be good. It gets a lot of sun. Just look out for sand on the shoulders of the road and CalTrans crews.

Tahoe has two seasons, winter and road construction
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,384
I would suggest that you take Highway 50 rather than I-80. It will take about an hour longer and will be about 30 miles further that way, but will be a much more enjoyable ride. Road condition will be similar.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasters458 View Post
I want to go to Reno next week with my wife on my Concours 14 and do some riding in Nevada. If I time it so that I am riding through the higher elevations mid-day am I going to have to worry about snow/ice? Its it that cold this time of year? I am from Buffalo, NY and I have only been here in Oakland since August. I have lived most of my life at sea-level and do not know when it is safe to travel into the mountains. thanks.
Weather looks good in the low 50's until the end of the week. It HAS been freezing over-night, but as long as you cross mid-day no problem. I wonder about the I-50 recommendation though because 50 has a lot of shaded areas that don't get full sun like all of 80 does.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
50 and 88 are ok as of now. 50 was super sketchy back in December when the overnight lows were colder and longer but now sand will be the only thing to watch out for as long as you're there after 10 am or so.

88 is the most roundabout path but it has some good alpine scenery and a couple of lakes that are still partly frozen over. Maybe you can use it as your return route.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Slatz
m00b

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasters458 View Post
Check the weather and temps for Truckee Ca. That will be very close to the conditions at Donner Summit a few miles away. The ten day forecast shows rain showers possible for part of the week, lows in the low 30's.
Slatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Just drove across yesterday and it was raining at the pass. Well, and tiny hail. Temp was 36 outside and dumping.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
How do you guys think the conditions will be for end of April? Gotta go to Tahoe for business and was really hoping to ride my vulcan there. I usually take 80 then 50. But seems like some guys also recommend 88. Definitely looking likely since I've never done that! I'll be coming from the bay area. Any ideas or Thoughts?

Thanks!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
How do you guys think the conditions will be for end of April? Gotta go to Tahoe for business and was really hoping to ride my vulcan there. I usually take 80 then 50. But seems like some guys also recommend 88. Definitely looking likely since I've never done that! I'll be coming from the bay area. Any ideas or Thoughts?
I can promise you wonderful weather when you go. Guaranteed or your money back!

You just have to decide how long you want to be riding and how twisty you would prefer the road to be. It takes longer to ride the more interesting roads. The east end of Highway 50 is about as good as the east end of Highway 88. But 88 is better down around Jackson while 50 is a freeway until you get to Placerville.

Where in the Bay Area are you coming from?

If you're coming from anywhere south of Concord, you should also consider Marsh Creek Road, Deer Valley Road, a little bit of Highway 4, then Highway 160 along the Sacramento River. Much more scenic and interesting than I-80.

Half of the fun of riding longer distances is picking out a route that looks interesting, then trying it out. Then afterward figuring out how the ride could have been better for "next time". Go to maps.google.com, put in your start and end locations, then move the blue line around until you're happy. It will give you a pretty good idea how much time each route will require as well as the distance. You can zoom in to tweak the route to visit places of interest slightly off of the route or to avoid places that you really don't want to ride through.

Just go ride.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #11
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I can promise you wonderful weather when you go. Guaranteed or your money back!

You just have to decide how long you want to be riding and how twisty you would prefer the road to be. It takes longer to ride the more interesting roads. The east end of Highway 50 is about as good as the east end of Highway 88. But 88 is better down around Jackson while 50 is a freeway until you get to Placerville.

Where in the Bay Area are you coming from?

If you're coming from anywhere south of Concord, you should also consider Marsh Creek Road, Deer Valley Road, a little bit of Highway 4, then Highway 160 along the Sacramento River. Much more scenic and interesting than I-80.

Half of the fun of riding longer distances is picking out a route that looks interesting, then trying it out. Then afterward figuring out how the ride could have been better for "next time". Go to maps.google.com, put in your start and end locations, then move the blue line around until you're happy. It will give you a pretty good idea how much time each route will require as well as the distance. You can zoom in to tweak the route to visit places of interest slightly off of the route or to avoid places that you really don't want to ride through.

Just go ride.
Oh! Thanks for the very good tips! I'll be coming from Eat Bay Area like Hayward, Newark, Fremont Union City area so those roads sound prefect to me! How have you liked Highway 88? Have you tried that route yet?

Thinking of doing Marsh road creek and that area in the way up and then Highway 88 on the way back.

I'm just hoping for little to no rain bc I doubt my cruiser will like the rain hahs
Old 03-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
How have you liked Highway 88? Have you tried that route yet?
Highway 88 is a bit more of a high speed road than what I normally search for. I usually seek out roads more like Morgan Territory Road - which is an option for you, by the way, to get to Marsh Creek Road, if you start in Livermore.

You have to decide how far you want to ride and how much time you're willing to take, then pick a route that meets your needs. In general, when going over the Sierras, the further south you go, the tighter the road is. The choices are I-80, and Highways 50, 88, 4, 108, and 120 (through Yosemite). They're all scenic roads, but some are better on a motorcycle than others.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,991
You may want to watch the CAltrans webcams. I used to be able to check the live feed one at Blue Canyon, but can't seem to find it now.

http://www.skimountaineer.com/MtnWeb....html?size=med

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Highway 88 is a bit more of a high speed road than what I normally search for. I usually seek out roads more like Morgan Territory Road - which is an option for you, by the way, to get to Marsh Creek Road, if you start in Livermore.
I'll be riding a pretty low vulcan 800. I'd love to take the smaller, super tight roads but if afraid that if the road are top thought, I won't have much of my footpegs left by the end. so for Morgan territory and Marsh road, would you say they are to tight for a cruiser or you think is still be able to have fun? I absolutely LOVE windy roads n but my footpegs not so much.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
I'll be riding a pretty low vulcan 800. I'd love to take the smaller, super tight roads but if afraid that if the road are top thought, I won't have much of my footpegs left by the end. so for Morgan territory and Marsh road, would you say they are to tight for a cruiser or you think is still be able to have fun? I absolutely LOVE windy roads n but my footpegs not so much.
Mentioning Morgan Territory Road was sort of meant as a joke, although I do like riding on that, unlike most people.

Marsh Creek Road is still good for your cruiser as long as you don't push it too hard. Ride near the speed limit and you won't have to worry about scraping any pegs.