Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,517
So....what's the score now? did you survive? did you break anything?
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,749
Blaster for the Win!

Final dirt nap tally for the weekend.
Blaster -6
Dorito -5

Carnage report:
(1) Tweaked bum knee
(2) Forearm raspberries
(1) Foot heal bruise
(1) Rubbed (non-lactatable) nipple
(1) Knee raspberry
(1) intake manifold
(1) stuck carb float

.......gained and a hoot of a time.

In the spirit of starting with the ending: The closing thought from class. There are 2 things in life you will never teach a man. The first is how to make love. The second is how to drive a car

The second reference is how valuable training is. Of course, most folks believe that training is over-rated as they can already do the skill, with never the second thought of how much you are leaving on the table.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,297
Thumb Way too much fun for the $ spent!!

I am sore and beat but had a great time and learned some new mad skills! I had a great time today with putting the things we learned yesterday together. My bike had a few minor issues but I worked through them and made me a better rider. First was that the float kept getting stuck which made keeping it running a bit of a task at times but I learned to keep the throttle on a bit. The second was that I had the TTR with the heavier suspension but the brake lever would bottom out on the peg mount so I would push through some of the turns, we got that fixed and got to working the breaking exercise. Of all the classes we have taken I think I came away with more new skills from this one....money well spent!! I will definitely be back again and again. If you have worries about wrecking and ending up on the ground this is not the class for you. If you aren't wrecking you aren't pushing. The tally for the day for me was I think 4 dirt naps....everyone of them is because I was pushing the new skills to the limit.....no extra bumps or bruises for the day but the ones from yesterday are still pretty sore.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #19
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macorell24 View Post
Excited to hear what you have to say about the whole adventure...what did you think of one-hand-on-the-tank loop?

If memory serves me you'll get the "Ribbon of Shame" tomorrow afternoon. I took dirt naps every time I tried this, Garrett did much better than I did on this exercise, I believe it was his favorite of the day.

Post some pics if you get a chance.
The one hand on the tank drill was really fun and eye opening, especially when baking it in too the corners. I never would have dreamed that I would be doing the things I was doing by the end of the class. One hand on the tank with the rear brake locked or almost locked and the front brake on the threshold of locking all while backing it in and getting through the corner....woohoo!

By the time I got to the ribbon it was the third exercise of the morning and I was getting a bit spent so I didn't really get much out of that exercise.

We didn't get many pictures but a ton of video with quite a few dirt naps captured, the GoPro's worked pretty well for my first time out with them.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
When Aaron first told our group we would ride with one hand on the tank I thought he was joking...and then the wave of panic set in. I thought there was no way I could ride the circuit at the same speed locking the wheels and powering out. I knew I was going to be the worst in the class and make a complete fool of myself...I was never so happy and proud to be wrong. Body control was the best skill I learned and something that I continue to use and work on.

Who were your instructors besides Aaron?

Glad everyone had a great time!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #21
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

The equipment

For people:

The rental protection for people was in really good condition, clean and well worth any money you'd spend on it. It was primarily all late model Alpinastar. All looked to be clean, good selection of (male) sizes, and in good working order (some even looked brand new).

It's on the CornerSpin website, but do not come to class without beefy knee pads. Nobody will dissuade you from using your kit, but really give this a good think. I was very happy with my Aerostich knee pads, but Blaster got himself a nice raspberry through 4 layers (including the Bohn armor). He happily paid his $10 to get the following knee pads for the weekend:

These were the rental ones, and probably the most suited for the task
AlpinaStars Bionics

For Bikes:
I thought I was in Oz. Land of the little people bikes. All the bikes are 100cc-125cc (7 HP). The majority of the fleet are the Honda XR100. There were some Yamaha TTR125s for the big boys, and even some Suzuki DRZ125. The tires were all in with good tread, and all kick starts. However, as some of the bikes had been in the rental fleet for over a decade, some could use a little TLC. My second steed (#8) was a great! Nice soft clutch, started on the first kick and good brakes. Blaster had a TTR and spent a good time kicking it all day and the back brake was quirky.

For Lodging:
The recommended hotel (Comfort Suites in Salisbury) was a mixed bag. The good news is that it is right off the expressway. The bad news that it is right off the expressway. If you are unlucky enough to get a room on the expressway side, be prepared to listen to 18-wheelers all.night.long. The internet appears to be via Satellite, and it is woefully slow. The pool was closed for winter, and boy, would a Jacuzzi would have been worth! I don't know what the heck is wrong with the programmable keys, but they needed to be rekeyed daily. The room was clean, and decorated well. It is centrally located to many restaurants (Pizza Hut, Outback, O Charleys, Chic Filet, Cook Out to name a few). The breakfast was acceptable (egg patties, hard boiled eggs, biscuits and gravy, toast, coffee, juice, milk)

Dorito screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 03:01 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Dana and Bruce,

glad to see you guys made it through to the other side. When's the debriefing breakfast?
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

This weekend sugar grove couch is still open
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
EOD3MC
What will break next

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post

smooth Bruce...just bait him into going
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post

smooth Bruce...just bait him into going
Bastards!!!

I think the best I can do is hold out for the one in June. She just let me go to Blacksburg for a few days, I don't think she'll go for another trip back to back. Unless of course I get the 16 month bathroom project finished this week.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
EOD3MC
What will break next

Bring her....
Karen is coming and has no intention of riding...she's bringing a book, food and wine.
Escaping from the chaos of the house

(and if you need a spot to get the bike out there, that shouldn't be a problem either)
Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #27
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

The instructors

Aaron is proprietor of the school.

He's been working on developing the site for about 7 years now, and is handy with everything from grooming the track to teaching.

He describes himself as a 13-year with 4 decades of experience. And experience he has. There are references to both US and OCONUS tracks peppered throughout the class. One of his most recent gigs was commentator for SPEED channel.

Delightfully funny, he can impersonate most any top bike pilot. Perhaps the most interesting quote of the weekend was a top rider (Rossi) who said:
Quote:
I've never lost the front end when I was on the throttle.
Sure enough, we will have time to perfect that over the next 2 days.

Aaron is joined by a roving bunch of characters. All have racing in the backgrounds, and zip around the course. Instructor to student ratio is 1:2.

Jamie Ray, "the pro", doing light duty

Our resident "unibomber", Tim Matte.

And the "youngster" which I apparently didn't get on film.

All ride the weekend with us, often yelling corrections or providing leads for us to follow. But make no mistake, they are gone in flash as good racers are. Supposedly, a good amateur racer can complete VIR 2.5 miles track which are separates the men from the boys with less than 20 seconds. Their measure of success is 1/10ths of seconds thoroughout 17 turns. Wonder where they are ranking?

Dorito screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 12:11 PM
Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #28
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Comical Satire

We had story time interlaced among our rest periods. The first was one was about the stolen bikes chronicled here:

Story here

I guess the old adage is true...all stolen kit eventually shows up on Craigslist. Just recently, one out of the 3 bikes was located. Sadly, the one that was located was pretty much in trashed condition. However, It's good to have some resolution. Funny enough, I guess the guy who received the stolen bike wanted to send his kid to class after the cops recovered the bike. The kid was told not to take it to a dealer because they would run the VIN....but they didn't know it was stolen.

The other story which was comical was about instructor XXX. Apparently in his younger days he was played linebacker, and at that time was about 260 lbs. He's now won a few championships, and didn't really believe in CornerSpin. Well, after Aaron finally coaxed him into a weekend, he went ass-over-teakettle and landed in a heap. One of the other instructors in his best southern drawl, sauntered over to XXX still laying on the ground and looks down. He politely said: So, do you believe me now?

I guess it was the beginning of a budding relationship. XXX also does 2-up rides during the track days. I guess people are amazed when he gets another good sized guy on the back (600lbs of human payload) then goes honkin' down the track to beat everyone passing riders.

Last one, next time there is a mid-week class. Go to it! It seems the folks taking those classes, are the ones that are normally off racing their own toys on the weekends. The "rain-date" class last week was filled with the Ferrari racers, the kart racers and other notable folks.

Dorito screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 02:39 PM
Old 04-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #29
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

No "C" Zone

If there are two things you should forever ingrain in your head as you walk (hobble?) away from class, it is these principles:

1) Get your outside arm elbow up in all turns
2) Eliminate Coasting. You are either on the brakes or on the gas.

While mentally you think that your arm is above your head, some might have ways to convince you it's not. This is the real reason you need elbow protection. Since really need some encouragement to lift it, how about a talking softly, but bringing a big stick!

The second principle is you are either on the gas or on the brakes. At first, I thought this was really about racing principal, you know every second counts. However, hindsight it is more about control of the bike and when coasting you really don't have any. In other languages, riders are referred to as pilots. It seems we will begin to change the thinking about coasting and piloting..

Dorito screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 04:16 PM
Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #30
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

The one huge kudos I have to give to Aaron. While listening to him is like drinking from a firehose, he provides exercises to teach the concept in progressive bits.

Exercise 1: The single most important thing on riding is your hands. You must begin to think of them as "screwdriver hands". No allowing the line from the throttle to the shoulder to be non-linear (e.g "W" wrists).

Part of this, is also pushing your outside arm up (pretend you are putting deodorant on), and the inside hand straight down. This is better imagined like you are shooting pool:

On the same vein, no T-rex arms...

Off to ride the track using our new found screw driver hands!