ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 282
Tahuya on 800GS

Hi guys, I need to decide if I am going to keep my 1200 or the 800 (can't have both due to garage space and promise to my wife), so I was thinking taking the 800 for some dirt riding.

I will be solo and already got stuck couple of times with the 1200 so any recommendations which trail to take and which to skip would be great.

Thank you!

Tomas
tomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
the Jeep trails

I've ridden big bikes at Tahuya a bunch of times, if you come in to the 4x4 trails off Goat Ranch Road and you'll have a blast. Some of those jeep trails are gnarly !

redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,953
Sell the 800 , use some of the money to expand the garage, buy a 250 you can park in the extra space
Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,217
You can download a Tahuya State forest map from the DNR site I think.
I would stick to quad-allowed trails as they are wider and get a bit more traffic in case you get stuck and need assistance.

Mission creek trailhead gives access the the Mission creek trail, and eventually connects with Overland Trail, but the navigation can be tricky even with a map. Overland is easier to use from the sandhill road stage area, and much easier to find your way back. Finding a crew to ride with is the best approach.

During the week you can have the place mostly to yourself.
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 282
Thanks for the tips guys, I got the map downloaded but I wasn't sure which trails to select. After looking at some picture from the 4x4 trails I wasn't sure I want to get stuck there all by myself. Target day is next Wed.

I already had an episode with the 1200, where I was about 30 miles from the closest road and the read wheel slipped out in a washout down the hill. It took me 3 hours, bunch of wood and rocks to get the bike back on the trail, facing the opposite direction and that I was I gave up and started walking back only to realize I would probably get very, very cold, hungry and tired...
tomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,217
Post up an invite to others or to see if someone else is already going. Post up on thumpertalk, too. Quite a few riders over there are trail nuts and often invite others to join in a planned ride day.

No point in spending the night in the brush with the coyotes if you have mech or other problem. Riding with others is the best plan.
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
I could well be up for a trip, if you want some company. Wednesday wouldn't work for me, though. I'll even bring a matching F800, and leave the 'Berg at home.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
muddyJ
Shortcut ahead!

Oddometer: 158
I wouldn't recommend riding out there on a big bike if you don't know the trails. The trails are poorly marked, and vary in condition/difficulty greatly.
I'd also avaoid the 4x4 trails this time of year.. heres what they look like in april,

I do know at least a couple locals who occasionally ride bigger bikes there who might show you around a bit. (wed might even work...)

muddyJ screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 05:59 PM
muddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote