Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Guy Jinbaiquerre OP
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
OK, here's what I want in a helmet/bike camera:

(1) 1080p resolution at 30 fps or higher

(2) A separate LCD screen (or connectable to such a screen I could get elsewhere) that I can mount on the bike to show me what the camera is filming.

(3) Camera controls separate from the camera so I can mount the controls on the bike for easy operation while riding.

(3) Everything waterproof, at least enough so rain won't destroy it.

Bonus points if everything is wired to the bike's battery so I don't need to change batteries in the camera.

Is there any camera system on the market with all those features? If not, could one be hacked together from available products and parts?
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,248
VIO POV sounds like what you're after... not sure about the hard-wire part.

A bunch of the guys that film snowmobile videos use them. Pricier than the GoPro/Contour, but the picture quality is great and the onboard LCD and remote make capturing the video easy.

http://www.vio-pov.com/
Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
(1) 1080p resolution at 30 fps or higher

(2) A separate LCD screen (or connectable to such a screen I could get elsewhere) that I can mount on the bike to show me what the camera is filming.

(3) Camera controls separate from the camera so I can mount the controls on the bike for easy operation while riding.

(3) Everything waterproof, at least enough so rain won't destroy it.

Bonus points if everything is wired to the bike's battery so I don't need to change batteries in the camera.

Is there any camera system on the market with all those features? If not, could one be hacked together from available products and parts?
Yes the Pov.1 cam does all you have asked----the hard wire part is an accessory which replaces the battery pack and feeds 12 volts off your bike into the recorder.

My favorite part of the Pov cameras is the remote (no wires) switch that comes with it to start and stop recording. This leave me unattached to the bike. I don't like being attached to my bike with any wires.

But when your hard wired--you'll be connected to your bike. I prefer using lithium batteries for long life------and when I dismount my bike I'm not attached and can just walk around freely-----doing video if I like.

I got by with just one set of lithium batteries on a 27 day ride. But--I've learned not to take video all day long--just turn it on when the scenery is excellent. Others---I see---record all day long and got more boring video than anyone would want to watch in 6 months.

Nobody wants to watch a 9 hour video---even if you went around the world--------7 times.

Oh you can edit and cut out alright---but that's a pain in the ass---if you just record the good stuff--you may not have to edit at all. That's the way I do it anyway. Makes it easy.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,539
Here is the POV HD you need.

http://www.vio-pov.com/products-all/pov-hd.html

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Does the POV HD take pictures? And can you set it to take a picture every xx seconds / minutes?

One more feature that would be nice to have is a camera and camcorder button, so you can switch from film to pics and back without having to stop and fiddle with menus, does the POV do that?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Does the POV HD take pictures? And can you set it to take a picture every xx seconds / minutes?

One more feature that would be nice to have is a camera and camcorder button, so you can switch from film to pics and back without having to stop and fiddle with menus, does the POV do that?
No to your questions.
What it does is record in a standard fashion and will also record in a continuous loop mode of varying duration and you can choose to save the last loop if you happen to pass something interesting and don't want to turn back,or something happens and you can't press the record button right away(that bear crossing the road in front of you)

Probably a number of imaging software programs will allow you to pull out single frames,if that's what you are looking for.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
rahbert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I have the same requirements. I want to have

1) front and rear facing cameras
2) central dvr
3) powered off the bike battery (switched so its off when bike is off)

Reason is I want to record the azzbrains who follow too close or turn into me
on the freeway commuting into work. Then I can upload to youtube and shame them, or provide to the cops if I get hit.