User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
GSAragazzi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Question Steering question

Wasnt sure this is the place to ask vs riding myths but here goes: I've been riding for 20 plus yrs but this is the 1st bike (1200GSAdv) where I cannot steer or "load" the bike using the pegs during turns at highway speeds. Is this normal for the GS or is there a way to -in my case- lower the pegs here can step/push while turning. This is my 1st non sports bike therefore I may be wrong on wanting to use my legs to steer but sitting on the saddle feels weird to me.
Any advice welcomed btw for those who may say get a sports bike if you want that I get it. Just understand that I'm a newbie at this geometry. Love the GS and I'm not trying to make it into something it is not, I just want to feel involved when doing switchbacks not just takn for a ride.
Cheers
Old 04-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,651
It will..does..just not as responsive as your sportbike..much more relaxed, neutral handling..

Next time you're out..as you pressure the peg..take that opposite knee and push a touch..you'll see a big difference I think..

If you stand on the pegs, and weight them back and forth, you'll see it works..just different geometry..the bike is built to be stable on rough roads..if it were sportbike quick at turn in..you'd spend even more time picking it up from dirt naps..

Enjoy.
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,376
The telelever/paralever suspension doesn't respond to peg inputs as much as others. You'd want higher pegs not lower pegs to get more response.

I get up off the seat a tad and try to weight THE OUTSIDE PEG in a turn, but my legs aren't really long enough!

Considering the make up of the bike it can really rail corners without too much operator input other than throttle control and other functions. I like to get off the seat and minimize my lean angle, but all in all it does very well on it's own.

I compare it to flying an airplane. Move around and lean all you want, but in the end the machine is totally stable and only responds to inputs from the operating functions from pilot...some of which can actually be negative.

I practice a more relaxed approach sometimes.

Just come in to a corner and pick an entry, get all my braking and gear changing done ahead of my entry (let the bike do it's job)

Then roll on the throttle slightly through to the apex (let the bike do it's job)

Then at apex crank it....you got it....LET THE BIKE DO IT'S JOB.

I like to get off the seat a tad, I especially like to put my weight/shoulder over my inside mirror, leaning out and forward a bit....but too much operator input can upset this bike.....it's a BIG RIG....it just goes with the inputs from the operating functions....it's like you are a pilot.

It responds to revs very well, in my old friend Reg Pridmore track days he says "revs are your friend" so don't be afraid to have this baby in a low enough gear to have it running pretty hard coming in to a corner.

All in all I'd say it responds to the pilot input very well and does it's job. It's a 'different' ride, technologically advanced to the point when rider body movements tend to have less use.

YMMV

TUCKERS screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 01:19 PM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote