Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
bikes&guitars OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Pilot Road 3 tire pressures F&R??

Hello--

Was just wondering from those who have installed PR3's on their GS (I have a 1150), what tire pressure are you running on the front & rear? And, what differences have you noticed at different pressures, if any.

Thanks,
Appreciate it.
bikes&guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikes&guitars View Post
Hello--

Was just wondering from those who have installed PR3's on their GS (I have a 1150), what tire pressure are you running on the front & rear? And, what differences have you noticed at different pressures, if any.

Thanks,
Appreciate it.
I was chatting about tires with the head tech at my dealership a few weeks ago. He's pretty knowledgable about tires and has discussed the topic of tire pressures and tire wear with most of the factory reps. His input, based on his discussions with the reps, is that for a big bike like the GS you should run the maximum indicated tire pressure on the sidewall. Anything less does not improve handling but negatively impacts tire wear. I didn't fully trust him so I've played around with tire pressures a bit and have not noticed any difference in traction by going with a lower pressure so I run the max.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
40 up front and 42 for the rear has proven exceptional for the last two sets of PR3's here

1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE View Post
40 up front and 42 for the rear has proven exceptional for the last two sets of PR3's here

That's where I've run mine. The front is wearing beautifully, the rear not so much. I should get over 10,000 miles on the front. I'll be lucky to see 5,000 from the rear.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
bikes&guitars OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Thanks for the replies - this helps a lot.
appreciate it.
bikes&guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
That's where I've run mine. The front is wearing beautifully, the rear not so much. I should get over 10,000 miles on the front. I'll be lucky to see 5,000 from the rear.
I was expecting around 8 out of the rear. On the last leg of a trip two weeks ago, I had to replace it at 6K to get back home. I loved these tires on the street and were OK on the dirt and will probably put a new pair on this fall for my AR color ride.

For the OP, I run 40F 42R.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

They're great tires. Like glue in the rain, and they're awesome in dry weather as well. Really predictable when you're throwing the bike around, and they don't do anything nasty in fast left-right transitions. They run smooth and quiet, and the front is wearing really well.

The rear isn't the "Trail" version; it's a standard PR3. I don't know if that's the reason behind the wear issue or not, but I'll try a "Trail" next time.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 448
My wife has run PR3s on her '10 1200RT and now has just put them on her '12 1200R. She got 10k miles on the RT tires, running at BMW recommended pressures. We expect she'll do about the same with this set.

Great tires! Good in the corners, smooth and excellent in the wet. Highly recommended!

Caveat: She only weighs 135, never carries a passenger and is one of the smoothest riders you'll ever see (drives me crazy... :) ). We're also religious about tire pressures.
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I was chatting about tires with the head tech at my dealership a few weeks ago. He's pretty knowledgable about tires and has discussed the topic of tire pressures and tire wear with most of the factory reps. His input, based on his discussions with the reps, is that for a big bike like the GS you should run the maximum indicated tire pressure on the sidewall. Anything less does not improve handling but negatively impacts tire wear. I didn't fully trust him so I've played around with tire pressures a bit and have not noticed any difference in traction by going with a lower pressure so I run the max.
This is the latest and up to date tire info. For maximum mileage you run what it says on the tire wall, and believe it or not, those high pressures are excellent in the rain! It is a harder ride that's all, you can feel it if you run over a toothpick on the freeway.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
This is the latest and up to date tire info. For maximum mileage you run what it says on the tire wall, and believe it or not, those high pressures are excellent in the rain! It is a harder ride that's all, you can feel it if you run over a toothpick on the freeway.
Respectfully, I question this.

Here's Conti's inflation page.

Here's Avon's.

Here's Bridgestone's.

And here's what the MSF has to say.

Max pressure is max pressure. You put the tire under more stress during impact, and you put the wheel at risk for bending and/or breaking. I agree that in general terms you're better off running a few pounds heavier than recommended, but if max pressure was what was best, you'd think either MSF or the manufacturers would say so.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
mfbRSV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Run mine at 34f/39r solo with no luggage. Can't stand them any harder than that. Hope to get 5k out of the rear and will change both at that time.
mfbRSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
For maximum mileage you run what it says on the tire wall, and believe it or not, those high pressures are excellent in the rain!
What does BMW, the manufacturer of machinery, know about tire pressure?

As the Honourable Mr. Tuckers say, the ideal is what the producer of the tire wrote on the tire itself.
It is correct that this is also the maximum.

My experience is that BMW produces nice motorcycles, but they, with all due respect, do not make tires.
And you should not listen to their advices on tire pressure.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
You put the tire under more stress during impact, and you put the wheel at risk for bending and/or breaking.
Together with Capa Superiore della Famiglia, I have visited Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway.
In our 180.000 km of riding the last decade, every single one was with maximum tire pressure. Never ever have I bent or broken a wheel. Or, if I may say so, have I seen any report here on GSpot related to that.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post
Together with Capa Superiore della Famiglia, I have visited Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway.
In our 180.000 km of riding the last decade, every single one was with maximum tire pressure. Never ever have I bent or broken a wheel. Or, if I may say so, have I seen any report here on GSpot related to that.
That's great. I've posted information from 3 manufacturers and the MSF stating that the "max pressure" number isn't what you should be running. Can you supply a similar link stating you should?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train
you put the wheel at risk for bending and/or breaking.
I call BS here. In order for that to be true, the rubber sidewall of the tire would have to be more rigid than the metal wheel rim, which it is not.

I would agree that running a tire at too low a pressure can result in bent rims due to the sidewall collapsing under impact and the rim coming in contact with the ground, but high pressure in a tire isn't going to result in the impact force being transferred through the tire, to the rim at great enough intensity to bend the rim.

I would agree that over inflating a tire could result in the tire deforming and coming off the rim...and hence the rim being bent when it came in contact with the ground after the deflation. So maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote