User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Question Transmission Differences

Probably been covered but I bought an R90/6 recently and I'd forgotten how clunky and resistant to change they are compared to the post 81 boxes.
Is it just the flywheel being lighter or is there differences within the transmission itself.
Although the heavy flywheel gives the 'vintage' feel I don't know if I can put up with it long term.
Other than " it is what it is" any thoughts?
Voltaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
I was told it was the rider - so I am obviously a much better rider now than I was when I had the R60/5. Is your riding getting worse then ?
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I was told it was the rider - so I am obviously a much better rider now than I was when I had the R60/5. Is your riding getting worse then ?
Maybe I was spoilt with the R65..... what was that Joni Mitchell said.....
Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,977
I've recently gone from an oilhead to an airhead and I'm lucky if I can make it through the first few gears without it sounding like I'm a novice.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
what was that Joni Mitchell said.....
We are stardust ? Oh yeah, we got to get back to the garden. On tomorrows list.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
Plaka
Banned

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Probably been covered but I bought an R90/6 recently and I'd forgotten how clunky and resistant to change they are compared to the post 81 boxes.
Is it just the flywheel being lighter or is there differences within the transmission itself.
Although the heavy flywheel gives the 'vintage' feel I don't know if I can put up with it long term.
Other than " it is what it is" any thoughts?
Time your shifts more carefully...and lighten the flywheel.

Also check your clutch cable adjustment. Nickel thickness of free play at the bars. If the shift lever pivot is worn and the lever sloppy, fix that. If the shift lever rubber is missing, replace it.

Past that (and running synthetic oil if you ever replace the seals) just dig the vintage feel...
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 973
+1 on the timing. There are times when I just know my 1st to 2nd gear transition is going to be ugly, usually when leaving a light in traffic and I am behind a cage that isn't sure if it knows where the accelerator is. Prolly better for me to learn this and be patient, let the engine spin and shift a little higher in the RPM range. I find this to be the case on my '74 and on my '92.

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys, I'll have to rummage thru my Dads old box of coins to find a nickel.......that's the Jefferson bloke...?
Seriously though, the bike has only 66k kms on it so its most likely me...... and yes its only really noticeable in traffic in the lower gears.

Hey Motu, no chance of them putting up a parking lot any time soon down your way...
Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,337
Hey bro I suspect my old box was pre 81 & huge difference with that & my new one.

One tin soldier rides away
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,016
A few things I noticed on shifting my 1978:

1. Preload helps considerably on upshifting.
2. Each gear shift must be complete before upshifting (i.e. preload is only good after completely in gear for a moment).
3. RPM's matter when downshifting. Syncromesh gears are not in the gearbox and the rider has to help synchronize the gears by keeping the RPM range where it would be for the gear selected.
4. Expect the transmission to clunk some. It's the way they were made.

YMMV.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm interested in what the differences are that contribute to the later ones being smoother, I took my latest purchase an 89 R100RT for a ride this morning and its quite a nice shifter ( by BMW standards)
Is it a matter of upgrading the selector mechanism or changing the flywheel/clutch/input/release mech or what?
Just wondering, I like to know how stuff works.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,004
The up dated shift mechanism will fit the early gearbox. It won't effect the clunkiness. The shift mechanism helps to prevent the broken detent spring and helps to eliminate false neutrals. I believe that's it. It is an improvement but you can still have false neutrals and you can still have a broken detent spring.

The majority of improvement in the feel and ease of operation is the lightened flywheel.

I think you made one illusion to a 1974 bike? This is a 1974 R90/6? If so you need to change the gearbox, flywheel & clutch and the starter motor.

The clutch carrier will be drilled for 11mm bolts in the crank so you have to have spacers made to accept the 10mm bolts or change the crank. Not sure what you do about the clutch carrier spacer that your early /6 doesn't have?

It was maybe a more common operation back in the day but every time somebody these days considers it they back out. I think it's not really worth it. All this time and money spent on a 38 year old rubber cow and instead you could be riding a Ninja.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
ontic

Oddometer: 1,039
Aside from everything else mentioned, I followed someones advice and added a significant percentage of 'Moreys Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer'- it is sort of like thick oily snot. There is another brand of stuff I can't recall that offers a similar product. Very noticable improvement in ease of shifting and general transmission behaviour, not just on my bike but two other pre-81 bikes as well. Worth a try IMO.

Genrerally for me, 1'st second and back is rarely very pretty, for the 2nd to 3rd shift it gets sorted by a bit of care with preload and RPM and timing, 3rd to 4th is hard to stuff up and 4th to 5th nearly impossible to stuff up.
Running with a broken clutch cable for a while and having to clutchless shift teaches a lot about these boxes... and 1'st to second still sucks!
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The up dated shift mechanism will fit the early gearbox. It won't effect the clunkiness. The shift mechanism helps to prevent the broken detent spring and helps to eliminate false neutrals. I believe that's it. It is an improvement but you can still have false neutrals and you can still have a broken detent spring.

The majority of improvement in the feel and ease of operation is the lightened flywheel.

I think you made one illusion to a 1974 bike? This is a 1974 R90/6? If so you need to change the gearbox, flywheel & clutch and the starter motor.

The clutch carrier will be drilled for 11mm bolts in the crank so you have to have spacers made to accept the 10mm bolts or change the crank. Not sure what you do about the clutch carrier spacer that your early /6 doesn't have?

It was maybe a more common operation back in the day but every time somebody these days considers it they back out. I think it's not really worth it. All this time and money spent on a 38 year old rubber cow and instead you could be riding a Ninja.
Yes its a 1976
I'll probably leave it as it and live with it...My 73 R90 racebike has all the mods you speak of and yes there is no comparison. I pretend its a Ninja ...Ninjacow...I like it.

I have however collected the parts to do dual discs and a S fairing ( not the one on it, that's a junk Emgo one).
Cheers
Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
motu
Loose Pre Unit

When I had my /5 I'd ride around town and look to see if heads of any pedestrians turned when I changed gear - it was really embarrassing. One in ten shifts would be perfect - I'd kinda hope someone would notice that, it was such a real achievement for me.