User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
cenji OP
out4fun

Oddometer: 163
Stock speedo of a 81 g/s replacement with VDOVDO

I am tired of the unreliability of the stock BMW MOTOMETER speedo/odometer on my 1981G/S.

The Motometer stock speedo is calibrated as a W1244, which means 1244 revolutions of the cable will indicate the travelled distance of 1 mile. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As most of you have dealt with it, I came across the same options:
1) have it rebuild by Palo Alto Speedometer in CA or Reno
2) replace it with something more modern
3) replace it with old skool VDO

TO1)
after seeing the prices involved in option 1, I decided it is not the way to go.

In addition, when talking to the staff, I had no confidence that the person I talked to would be able to answer simple questions at all. NO need to mention the name.

To2)
Very tempting as there is lot to be gained when one spends even half of the money of one. I am talking about combination-instruments that would even include a GPS. Maybe as a back-up down the line , when I go in more desolate areas. I looked at the ICO, but they seem to be fading out the VR at $185. The rallye is $325, but essentially the same. It only reads in both km and miles. But maybe I misunderstood?

To3)

I know of one person only, that has done a conversion from a VDO enduro speedometer from the 70's, his ratio is 1.2 or 1200 revolutions to travel one mile.
Is this applied math correct? It would help me to determine if it is worth to invest in a "gear reducer" to align the VDO to the transmission?

1244 minus 1200 = 44 revolutions difference or 3.6% difference

1 mile = 5280 feet apply the 3.6% deviation = 190 feet difference

In other words, if I travel with the new VDO installed
1) and using the stock speedo cable - out of the transmission , but with smaller nut at the other end of speedo cable where it would mount into the VDO receptacle,

THAN

If I travelled a measured distance of exactly one mile, did I actually travelled 190 feet less or more than one mile?

I can live with that deviation. I don't even know if there is a gear adapter available to make it more accurate?

How do the lesser revolutions effect the actual speed travelled? Do I apply the 3.6% difference as above?

I am willing to deal with all the fiddling of fitting the new VDO into the original position in the head shell.

Your help is as always appreciated. I couldn't find an existing thread, is there is , please be so kind and point it out.

Of course I encourage anybody that has done the VDO conversion to chime in about their experience with it. Thanks. About to get ready to test some new changes to the bike.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,109
If you didn't like Palo Alto, try North Hollywood Speedometer or Terry Vrla (on this forum as Wirespokes).
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,501
+1 on Wirespoke... he aslo has a brassx replacement for the stock plastic speedo cable attachment point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
cenji OP
out4fun

thanks to comments from anton and Solo lobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
If you didn't like Palo Alto, try North Hollywood Speedometer or Terry Vrla (on this forum as Wirespokes).
I will try them in the next few days, back to work now.
Any chance to get some feedback about some answers about the math? Or maybe wirepsokes has them? Will find out when I contact him.thanks
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
You will need 1244 revolutions to go a mile, but when you reach 1200 revolutions your VDO speedo will say you are there already. You'll be 190 feet short of a mile. Most factory speedometers are off by about that much. A change in tire size will affect the reading somewhat also. Install the VDO and go ride
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Usually the cable mooves and break the plastic speedo fitment.
So i've put a bracket in the plastic housing, to fit the speedo cable.
You can replace the plastic attachment cable with a /5 part, if you find a destroyed /5 speedo
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 865
I've been using Palo Alto for about 20 years. Hartmut and Daryl know what they're doing. Walk in the shop and there's a Farrari, Porsche, '63 Olds, or Rolls Royce clusters on the counter ready for rebuilding.

Only had 1 come back and that was repaired in less than a week. Some have over 100K on them and are still accurate. Just remember to replace the cable when you get the speedo rebuilt.

Ours are easy in comparison. They also replace the plastic with metal if requested.

Alternatives beside bicycle stuff...try this

http://www.speedhut.com/

Sorry for the blue color ;-(
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Fudmucker
ex-lurker

Oddometer: 268
I have two '81 G/S machines - neither speedo works!
Do they also work wonders on the W773 (Km/h) versions?
If so, where can I contact them on the other side of the world...?
Thanks guys.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 865
http://www.paspeedo.com/
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,972
You can try this.........

Before:

After:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,546
This is just from a very quick search. it's even American made (VDO is made in Indonesia):

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338-...r-Gauge-120mph

Lots of variation on that theme. The Speedo/odo is GPS driven so it doesn't matter what size your tires are....no factors on the bike matter. The thing works independently of the bike. It tells you how fast and far it's moving. If it's bolted to your bike then the bike is doing the same thing.

I've used a cheap little hand held GPS as a speedo in the kayak. It's handy for micro navigation...like telling what direction you're moving in and how fast.

The next time my instruments give out I'm not getting them repaired. Good money after bad. Enough with the crappy plastic pod and the fragile and silly expensive MotoMeter stuff. The bike shouldn't be outlasting it's instruments by factors of something.

Plaka screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 06:05 AM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
cenji OP
out4fun

Palo Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerguru View Post
i've been using palo alto for about 20 years. Hartmut and daryl know what they're doing. Walk in the shop and there's a farrari, porsche, '63 olds, or rolls royce clusters on the counter ready for rebuilding.

Only had 1 come back and that was repaired in less than a week. Some have over 100k on them and are still accurate. Just remember to replace the cable when you get the speedo rebuilt.

Ours are easy in comparison. They also replace the plastic with metal if requested.

Alternatives beside bicycle stuff...try this

http://www.speedhut.com/

sorry for the blue color ;-(
thank you for all the feedback, just posted here with in this quote, because greg knows my bike.

The only reason i wasn't impressed with palo alto, they couldn't answer the question how the different ratio ( motometer/versus old vdo) would relate to an actual mile ridden. He would need a week to calculate was his answer. But jrp was so kind to clarify,thanks.

i had looked at speedhut and was tempted to go with the $280 version, built in gps, no cable,..thanks plaka for confirming that we found the same resource. Talked to the staff and he said that they work well. When pointing out that i prefer off-road to pavement, he mentioned some instances were electronics had suffered quite a bit -they are primarily made for pavement was his final statement-some of his friends use the ico, which is more used for off -road.
Hence i have looked more for a mechanical version again, found two vdo's from the seventies, old stock unused in original box. Will try to make them work and will update you when i get the job done.
Again , thanks for all your help, from anton to caddy to gsd4me,..

cenji screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 07:53 AM
cenji is offline   Reply With Quote