User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
fwalti OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Convert F650GS to F700GS Double discs

I was wondering if anyone had tried to put the 700's double discs on an F650GS?
fwalti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
Why would you want to? Just for looks?

The single disc F650GS stops faster that the dual disc F800GS per Motorcycle consumer news tests. check it out.

The limiting factor is not disc power but tire to road adhesion. The F650GS has a wider dire with more pavement contact area...that is why it stop shorter than the F800GS

The dual disc adds more unsprung weight(a bad thing) and more complexity.

Modern disc offer huge stopping power. Most often single disc stopping power exceeds the tire limits...so a dual disc in not needed. On racing bikes the dual disc help offest the racing heat build up.....which most of us never experience on the road.

I'm sure there will be interesting responses
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 319
vtbob is bang on. We have one of each in the family (800 & 650 twin) and the 650 stops great. Fantastic now that we have upgraded the forks with heavier springs and Racetech emulators. No more diving under heavy breaking.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post

The single disc F650GS stops faster that the dual disc F800GS per Motorcycle consumer news tests. check it out.

The limiting factor is not disc power but tire to road adhesion. The F650GS has a wider dire with more pavement contact area...that is why it stop shorter than the F800GS

Modern disc offer huge stopping power. Most often single disc stopping power exceeds the tire limits...so a dual disc in not needed. On racing bikes the dual disc help offest the racing heat build up.....which most of us never experience on the road.

It may stop faster once, but running hard in the twisties I have had that front disk smoking pretty good on the wifes 650 twin. The F8 has noticeably less brake fade when running hard consistently, especially when 2 up or carrying a load.

Ryan
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
fwalti OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
It may stop faster once, but running hard in the twisties I have had that front disk smoking pretty good on the wifes 650 twin. The F8 has noticeably less brake fade when running hard consistently, especially when 2 up or carrying a load.

Ryan
Well, I use to think the single brake was good enough too. Then I just spent 600 miles riding through the mountains and found the brake fading several times -- that was a first. So, I got to wondering if the 700Gs's double discs would be better
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Yup, would be better. Probably need a whole front end swap though. Fork, wheel, MC, additional caliper and hoses.

Could be considerably easier and maybe cheaper to get a used F800 unless the height is an issue.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
fwalti OP
n00b

I would have (probably) bought the 800 the 1st time around, but height is a big issue for me: ) Hence, i've essentially made my 650 into a mini GS capable of on/off stuff pretty well. The brakes are acceptable, I was just hoping that another disc, caliper and some hoses would have been all that's necessary: )
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

The fork on the F650 only has one brake mount, so you'd have to get a fork, wheel, caliper and hoses from an F700. the master cylinder is probably different for only driving one brake, so getting one from an F700 or 800 would be a good idea.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Metalsapo
R.E. Ordoñez

Oddometer: 41
Thumbs down

It is about the looks, jajajja, of course, i have a F650GS twin also and the only thing that i envy the F800GS is because the front suspension looks, double disc, bigger inverted forks, is just "bad a.." , just like a big horse stallion.

Now, i love my motorcycle, every detail of it, and drive allot, and i see her as a beautiful and capable mare, i have the F650GS by luck, i was looking to buy a G650GS used, but none, and one day the called me for a try for the F650GS and i was in love, F800GS was way expensive for me and way tall, and like nervous horse, for a first GS my motorcycle i think is perfect.

Also the break overuse is not a bad driving habit?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsapo View Post

Also the break overuse is not a bad driving habit?

Me? Bad driving habits? Never....

I would call them spirited driving habits!!

Ryan
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #11
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Overuse is subjective. :)
Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #12
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
I had read quite a lot of hype about dual v single disc. I changed to a single on my F8. I changed the master cylinder also.

Verdict?

Meh! I think it works far better at legal speeds, not quite as good going flat out 2 up.

But that's exactly what I expected.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I had read quite a lot of hype about dual v single disc. I changed to a single on my F8. I changed the master cylinder also.

Verdict?

Meh! I think it works far better at legal speeds, not quite as good going flat out 2 up.

If I were only going to ride in the woods and do some occasional spirited riding around town I'd drop the other disc and abs just to save the weight. Having two is nice when the thing is all loaded up with gear or another person and you want to have some fun in the hills.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

Verdict?

If I were only going to ride in the woods and do some occasional spirited riding around town I'd drop the other disc and abs just to save the weight. Having two is nice when the thing is all loaded up with gear or another person and you want to have some fun in the hills.