ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Talking Help creating a single track version of WABDR

This is the thread for planning a route from the Washington/Oregon border to the Washington/Canada border using as much single track trails as possible. This route will be for plated dirt bikes and small dual sports such as the KTM 450 or 500, WR450, Husqvarna 310, CRF250, DRZ400 and similar. This is NOT for larger dual sports, for that I recommend the Washington Back Country Discovery Route

First off, I want to say that I really appreciate all the work that the Back Country Discovery Route guys are doing for dual sporting (for those who don't know: http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/WABDR), the routs are great for larger dual sports and the work they've put into compiling and sharing these rides is amazing and much appreciated.

My issue is that, with a plated KTM (250 2T and 525 4T), I'm just not that interested in riding on a series of linked forest service roads and 2 track. It's my goal to link together as much single track from the Oregon border to the Canadian border as possible, only using the forrest service roads of the WABDR route when absolutely necessary to get from one section of single track to another.

There's no way I can figure all of this out alone, I'm hoping we can map this out as a community.
I've started mapping out the proposed route on the maps below and am looking for volunteers to do the FUN part, ride the trails this summer with your GPS device and camera in hand, get the GPS data for the ride as well as any pictures, videos or trail descriptions (difficulty would be helpful) you care to add and send it all to me to compile the route. If you are interested in riding a particular section please PM me so we can cover as much ground as possible.

All MAPS are clickable to much larger versions

Routes are proposed routes based on my experience and input from other riders I know, if you feel there is a better trail than I have listed, whether less/more difficult, more scenic or just more fun, let me know and I will take it into consideration or add it as an alternative. All trails MUST be dual sport legal and not on private property.

Map of Cle Elum to Cashmere proposed single track here:

Cle Elum to Casmere proposed single tract route description details:

Cle Elum >Airport Rd. > Masterson Rd. > Red Bridge Rd. > Teanaway Rd. > Teanaway River Rd. > #9703 Stafford Cr. Rd > Iron Bear Trail #1351 > Hwy 97 (briefly) > FS Rd #9711 > FS Rd #9712 > Table Mt Trail #1209 > Old Ellensburg trail #1373 > Howard Cr. trail # 1372 > Howard Cr. tie #1373.2 > Back onto FS RD # 9712 > Mission Ridge/Devils Gultch trail 1201.1 > Choose your poison Mission Ridge #1201 or Devils Gultch #1220 > Choose again Red Hill # 1223 or Red Devil #1221 > Sand Cr Rd > FS #7100 Mission Creek Rd. > Cashmere

Here's the proposed route from the Naches area to Cle Elum. Once again, feel free to tell me if one of my choices is boring, crazy or if there is just a better route. Also, see the map at the beginning of the thread.

Little Bald Mountain Trail #961 > Indian Flat Trail #955 > West Quartz Creek Loop Trail #952 > Quartz Mountain Trail #948 > South Fork Taneum Trail #1367 OR Taneum Ridge Trail #1363 > keep riding on #1363 OR take Fishhook Flat Trail #1378 > North Fork Taneum Trail #1377 > Either option meets Cle Elum Ridge Trail #1326 > follow that to Woods and Steele Rd to Cle Elum

Map of Gray Rock Trail in the Divide Ridge/Ahtanum Areas just south of Rimrock Lake:

The proposed route for this section is simple, Gray Rock Trail (I've never ridden this trail, if you have please let me know what the level of difficulty is)

Here's the GPNF route as proposed by MuddyJ, follow trail 80 to 3 to1 to 261 to 294

Here's the route into Entiat and Chelan:

Follow the Mad River trail 1409 to upper Mad River 1409.1 stop at Mad Lake for lunch....OR you can vere off of 1409.1 a few miles before Mad Lake and take 1426 by 2 little lakes... either way yu will come to 1425 to Klone Peak, follow that up and down to FS road 5605, take this road down about 1/2 way to Entiat River Rd. to a trailhead for lower Tommy Creek trail #1424, take this to Entiat River Road, cross the road and take 1443 Lake Creek Trail, follow this to a trail head at FS rd 5900, from here you can either take FS RD 5900 or continue on trail 1265 (be aware that this trail is rated black diamond which is most difficult) and follow down to the road along Lake Chelan, this is a paved road into Chelan where you can fuel up, eat and sleep.

After this is Foggy Dew area, I'll have a better map with more info soon:

After this I don't know of any official trails, and I won't post locals trails so basically from Methow area Highway 153 your on your own unless one of you knows some single track up north of 153 or hwy 20

OK, here's what I'd like to do now to help keep this moving forward:

-Anyone interested in signing up to ride a section or trail please respond to this post with the section you can ride (duplicates are fine, more info the better)

-You must have a GPS device of some sort to volunteer for a section (you'll need to save tracks and waypoints and share them with me so I can build the route) (feel free to correct my GPS lingo, I'm still learning)

-Data needed from each section:
- GPS data (Mandatory)
- Trail conditions (helpful)
- Points of interest (helpful)
- pictures (helpful)
- Video (helpful)

videos of some of the trails on this trip (not mine, grabbed em from youtube):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcT2...iEHoE8Sy1IXP0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipEEpNrRoE0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXCkLAVisX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oczOCuzPeZs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avLy...l_WXGsENG469rT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePVI...5A47F5&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukIHCgRaS9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEo-OYIDrsA
--

gameyogi screwed with this post 10-14-2014 at 12:06 AM
gameyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,076
Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
:popcorn

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,409
May help a little http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722577&highlight=foggy+river

I don't think it can be done without linking some road sections in.
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I too, am plotting something like this for 2014, to include Washington and the other two states next to it.

Short of hitting the Pacific Crest Trail, I don't think your going to be able to do the whole thing with single track. And if you do the PCT, you'll want to do a couple of pre-trips to clear the logs out so you don't get hung up with the cops chasing you

Replacing as much of the WABDR as you can with bike trails would be great, but the trails to do the whole thing just aren't there. Even the WABDR hits the highway from Packwood to Rimrock Lake.

Idaho: easy. there's the TID from S to N, T2 E-W across the south end of the state, and it looks like there are plenty of trails to put together an E-W from Hell's Canyon to Yellowstone. Obviously easier said than done.

Oregon: LOL! I think it was hard enough to find a dirt road route let alone motorcycle single track. There might be enough bootleg trails to put something together, but there will be a contract out on whoever puts maps of it all on the internet

Solo on a dual sport through the gnarliest the Cascades have to offer? You sir, know how to party
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
muddyJ
Shortcut ahead!

Oddometer: 158
It's easy to plan a route, but another thing to ride it...

(I'm using a benchmark washington atlas and an assortment of trail maps...)

From the Columbia River you could follow the WBDR N on FS 86 to near peterson ridge where (my map) shows the middle trail heads NW to the Surprise Lake indian Camp. its a quad and bike trail. Then FS 24 to FS90 to get to the main GPNF trails. Lots of choices from there, but many of the trails are very difficult. Ride trails north to Randle and then back on the WBDR for a bit on HWY 12 and then Hwy 123(theres some single track just north of rimrock lake you could ride on the way) to hwy 410 and head east on FS 70 to the naches 4x4 trail. Skip the first mile of the 4x4 trail because it is brutally steep and follow the rest of the trail to the Naches/Taneum trails. Again lots of choices to head NE towards Cle Elum and then north again to the table mountain trails which connect to the devils gulch trails which take you up towards Cashmere. After lunch in Cashmere, ride north past Sugarloaf peak to access the Entiat/mad river trails where you'll head east towards Chelan and the WBDR route (at the snowberry camp you join the WBDR again). If its not dark yet, you could ride to the north side of lake chelan and ride the trails around foggy dew before jumping back on the WABDR route and setting up camp for the night....

Seriously tho, you'd want a support truck and excellent trail riding skills plus lots of time, I'd expect it to take 8-10 days. And IMHO, a bike that is fun on the trails sucks on FS roads and vice versa. (Don't let double H fool you.. those trails are challenging and I don't see many people on a 290 lb bike ride 'em..)

Edit: links added
Middle trail map
Cle Elum trail map includes naches/taneum, table mountain and the Naches 4x4 trail
Entiat trail map
GPNF trail map
Devils Gulch map

muddyJ screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 08:39 PM
muddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
Where can I get a benchmark map at?? I don't have an REI or anything close to me. Online maybe? I just picked up my first map of the county in in for forest service roads but I want another help?
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Where can I get a benchmark map at?? I don't have an REI or anything close to me. Online maybe? I just picked up my first map of the county in in for forest service roads but I want another help?
I use Amazon for other states, but you should be able to find your state in most sporting goods stores, Walmart, most book stores, Fred Meyer, I even saw them at an AM-PM station once.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
muddyJ
Shortcut ahead!

Amazon has the best prices I've found. I recently purchased oregon, nevada and Idaho for $7 each shipped. (they were used but in new condition)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
Thanks guys. Probably gonna go with amazon, I despise wal-mart.

And now, back to your regular scheduled programming....
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
@Double H Thanks for the link, thats a good start! I'm familiar with some of those trails, would be nice if the OP had shown his route on a map but still very useful

@OrangeYZ I have no delusions that I can do the whole thing on single track, though that would be AWESOME I'm hoping to get close to 50% single track similar to the TID (tour of Idaho). I figure we can link the WABDR with single track at places like Cle Elum and Taneum etc. I'm hoping people can post some maps of those area as well as GPNF and others, all I can find on line is trail names and descriptions

@Muddy1 I should have been clearer in my post, when I said a plated KTM I meant a 525 EXC and similar, I'm pretty comfortable on the type of single track you mentioned. I don't think I'd need a support truck, the tour of Idaho is 1400 miles total and 7+ days and plenty of people have done it, the key is to end each section at a town. Thanks for the clear directions, this is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for, this and MAPS that is :)

Keep it coming!!
gameyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
muddyJ
Shortcut ahead!

Your 525 would be a good choice. (I should have wrote "I'd want a support truck" cuz I don't like my beer to get shook up!)
Fuel might be a challenge, my route from the Columbia to Randle is probably 80 miles of FS roads and 40-50 miles of trails.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Did someone say "Fuel?"

Actually I think a 3.0-3.5 gallon tank might be enough for a trip like this. I can get about 150 miles on 3.1 gallons on my 540, and this route wouldn't be in the serious middle of nowhere like the TID is.
I think the Columbia River to Packwood stretch might be the longest assuming the Shell Station near Naches River is open, and then you're just weaving back and forth over Hwy 97.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Sound Rider (www.soundrider.com) sells them, and Tom (founder) even contributed to some updates/changes to new editions. Besides, he's a good guy and deserves the biz.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
muddyJ
Shortcut ahead!

I'll add a few more route suggestions,

In GPNF I'd ride (from south to north) #80, #3, #1,#261,#294. The area between dark meadows and jumbo peak is incredibly scenic.