ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
FlagRS OP
Gone to the Dogs
 
FlagRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: N. AZ
Oddometer: 1,172
Question Fort Huachuca

We are riding road bikes next weekend down on unfamiliar southern AZ roads. One leg takes us from Bisbee over to Patagonia and I was looking at Canelo Rd. also called Cimarron Rd. leaving Fort Huachuca westbound to hook up with Hwy 83 south of Sonoita. Is that road open to the public or is that off bounds to us civilians? If it’s open is it paved over to 83?

Gracias fom Northern AZ

Edit: Looks like it is open to the public, but requires picture ID - driver's license, vehicle registration, proof of insurance and obtainium of pass. The Canelo Rd. exits the fort at the west gate, but is it paved and worth the hassle?

FlagRS screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 04:03 PM
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Twentyniner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 288
A better way to get from Bisbee to Patagonia would be to skip Ft Huachuca entirely, and go the southern route. Hwy 92, FS 61 over Montezuma Pass out west to Lochiel near the Border. 61 then heads north, and splits. Stay right on 49 to 58 then left. All well maintained and signed gravel roads and great scenery. One of my favorite day rides. Eat at the Gathering Grounds or the Velvet Elvis.

The West Gate road(Cimmaron) is paved, as is Hwy 83, if that's what you're looking for.
__________________
Do Epic Shit.

"Two men can learn more from milking a cat, than they could learn from a fourth, much taller man."
Twentyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave
 
StmbtDave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Loveland, CO summer - Green Valley, AZ winter
Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
Edit: Looks like it is open to the public, but requires picture ID - driver's license, vehicle registration, proof of insurance and obtainium of pass. The Canelo Rd. exits the fort at the west gate, but is it paved and worth the hassle?
Unless they've changed the rules in the past year, you also need proof that you have taken a motorcycle safety course and you must be wearing hi viz clothing (jacket or vest).

Dave
__________________
Why are we stopping? We don't have time for that!
StmbtDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
FlagRS OP
Gone to the Dogs
 
FlagRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: N. AZ
Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyniner View Post
A better way to get from Bisbee to Patagonia would be to skip Ft Huachuca entirely, and go the southern route. Hwy 92, FS 61 over Montezuma Pass out west to Lochiel near the Border. 61 then heads north, and splits. Stay right on 49 to 58 then left. All well maintained and signed gravel roads and great scenery. One of my favorite day rides. Eat at the Gathering Grounds or the Velvet Elvis.

The West Gate road(Cimmaron) is paved, as is Hwy 83, if that's what you're looking for.
Thanks - I'm sure the southern route is spectacular, we will probably stay north of the Huachuca's & may try Cimarron Rd. to 83. Gathering Grounds looks perfect for a lunch stop .
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
FlagRS OP
Gone to the Dogs
 
FlagRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: N. AZ
Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
Unless they've changed the rules in the past year, you also need proof that you have taken a motorcycle safety course and you must be wearing hi viz clothing (jacket or vest).

Dave
Thanks Dave - I found a number to the front gate so I will give em a call. I think I still have my “Motorcycle Safety Foundation Completion Card”, but no hi viz gear .
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
mergatroyd
Loser
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 101
Cimarron road is paved, and kind of worth it (certainly better than HWY 80 t0 90). Beware of cows. Same on 83 south of Sonoita.

hi-viz in military speak means yellow, orange, white, pink, bright green, and I think red.

Civvies no longer need proof of MSF course.

Don't speed on post.
mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
FlagRS OP
Gone to the Dogs
 
FlagRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: N. AZ
Oddometer: 1,172
Thanks troyd - I went down to our local industrial supply store and picked up a couple of mesh High Viz Vests. I'm looking forward to passing through the Fort and wouldn't mind stopping at the museum. Although my riding buddy probably has zero interest. Found some pretty cool stuff about Fort Huachuca's history on their website.

"Fort Huachuca is a product of the Indian Wars of the 1870s and 1880s. In February 1877, Colonel August B. Kautz, commander of the Department of Arizona, ordered that a camp be established in the Huachuca Mountains. This camp would offer protection to settlers and travel routes in southeastern Arizona while simultaneously blocking the traditional Apache escape routes through the San Pedro and Santa Cruz valleys to sanctuary in Mexico. A temporary camp was established at the post’s current location on March 3, 1877, by Captain Samuel Marmaduke Whitside with two companies of the 6th Cavalry. The site was selected because it had fresh running water, an abundance of trees, excellent observation in three directions, and protective high ground for security against Apache tactical methods. Camp Huachuca was redesignated a fort in 1882."

FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
Unless they've changed the rules in the past year, you also need proof that you have taken a motorcycle safety course and you must be wearing hi viz clothing (jacket or vest).

Dave
as an aside not related to OP, military bases CANNOT require anyone other than military personel and government employees to have taken the MSF course.

I can't find the DODInst right now. I may keep looking. THat doesn't help you if you get challenged without the REF but it exists.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
FlagRS OP
Gone to the Dogs
 
FlagRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: N. AZ
Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
as an aside not related to OP, military bases CANNOT require anyone other than military personel and government employees to have taken the MSF course.

I can't find the DODInst right now. I may keep looking. THat doesn't help you if you get challenged without the REF but it exists.

DoD Traffic Safety Program, Number 6055.04 page 13 & 14

It looks like this requirement is for military personnel and DOD employees only. When I called the MP this morning they only mentioned ATGATT and High Viz.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,095
I found the too but it doesn't specifically reference the paragraph I know exists which makes it explicitly clear to even the most dense gate guard.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
FlagRS OP
Gone to the Dogs
 
FlagRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: N. AZ
Oddometer: 1,172
Canelo Rd gets a

Great little ride, we entered the Post at the main gate wearing our Hi-Viz vests, the guard was very polite and asked for ID only. The ride on Canelo Rd and 83 up to Sonoita was awesome. It's great little twisty old road with changes in elevation with almost every turn.

Thanks again
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014