ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
RocknTroll OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Trail funding cuts

Email from the AMA

"The American Motorcyclist Association has learned that Gov. Jerry Brown intends to opt out of the federal Recreational Trails Program. To save this vital program, the AMA encourages everyone who enjoys the network of recreational trails in California to contact Brown today.

The RTP was created on a bipartisan basis in 1991 to provide funds to the states to develop and maintain recreational trails and trail-related facilities for both non-motorized and motorized recreational trail uses. Funds for the RTP come from excise taxes generated by fuel used for off-highway vehicle recreation -- by snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, off-highway motorcycles and off-highway light trucks.

The AMA believes the RTP is a fair, equitable program that benefits all users of recreational trails, not just motorized users. The grant guidelines established by the program assure all types of trail users receive funding for a diverse set of projects.

Additionally, since the grant program requires a sponsor, federal, state and private dollars are leveraged to produce the greatest amount of recreational opportunities for OHV users, hikers, bicyclists and the four-wheel community. Throughout its history, the RTP has proven to be very successful in helping to fulfill the needs of recreationists of all types.

The proposed budget for fiscal 2014 indicates that Brown’s administration is seeking to opt out of the RTP. As a result, this money will be unavailable to fund recreational trails in California.

The AMA thinks it is unfair to continue to ask recreational trail users to continue to pay into a system and not receive any funding in return."

Just thought I'd pass this along, haven't seen anything on here about it.

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,372
Sounds good to me, now we can start developing our own trails and the trails we all want. Developing trails takes hard work and clever bike handling skills. It's nice that the government will be stepping out of the way for once.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
hbmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Ten-Four!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
Sounds good to me, now we can start developing our own trails and the trails we all want. Developing trails takes hard work and clever bike handling skills. It's nice that the government will be stepping out of the way for once.
hbmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
RocknTroll OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Take a look at the budget and see where the $$ is spent. Every time you buy fuel a Federal tax is collected the feds get the money. To get the $$ back we need to have some group raise 12% of the cost of a trail project and feds give back 88%. Brown doesn't want to go after any of the taxe $$ we already paid.

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknTroll View Post
Take a look at the budget and see where the $$ is spent. Every time you buy fuel a Federal tax is collected the feds get the money. To get the $$ back we need to have some group raise 12% of the cost of a trail project and feds give back 88%. Brown doesn't want to go after any of the taxe $$ we already paid.
Because for his effort he would then have to spend the money on trails. There is nothing in it for him. He doesn't care about your trails.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote