Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,467
Intermittent Miss/Engine Drop

Hi guys

Leaving Belize and riding into Guatemala today Mayas engine started to every now and then drop then continue.

Too fast to see if the dash lights come on, fuel pump seems fine also if it were fuel it would bog and die whereas this is an instant off and back on which make me think electrical.

Going to push and pull plugs everywhere tonight but any pointers from anyone who has experienced similar probs please chime in.

Cheers all
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Hi guys

Leaving Belize and riding into Guatemala today Mayas engine started to every now and then drop then continue.

Too fast to see if the dash lights come on, fuel pump seems fine also if it were fuel it would bog and die whereas this is an instant off and back on which make me think electrical.

Going to push and pull plugs everywhere tonight but any pointers from anyone who has experienced similar probs please chime in.

Cheers all
I'm sure you've checked the obvious; battery connection/cables,sparkies, VR. , vents ??

Are you able to monitor your charge rate while under way??

Good luck.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 738
side stand switch,key ign switch,clutch safety switch would be the three of the things I would check. Battery connection have been known to come loose also.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Check around the starter relay. Basically everything goes through there and they are know to corrode.
Gabby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,010
Coil connections. Spark plug and spark plug cap.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
I'm sure you've checked the obvious; battery connection/cables,sparkies, VR. , vents ??

Are you able to monitor your charge rate while under way??

Good luck.
Yeap, sitting constant at 13.8 Volts.

Only checked a few goodies under the seat before the sun fell out of the sky but nothing struck me as out of place or unusual.

Thanks for all the pointers guys, will hopefully find something simple in the am.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Many have had problems with the ignition switch:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472908
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592703

Probably not this, but there is always the concern that the contact on the back side of the starter relay can go bad (pic borrowed from Aurel's thread):
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Ok, checked everything under the seat, pushed and pulle every connection, relay, fuse etc.

A couple of relays had a minor amount of crud but I wouldn't have thought it would be enough to upset it but I cleaned them anyway.

Took off the headlight mask and did the same, checked everything I could.

Lastly I checked the off on switch which is a Euro switch, it has a very small amount of greasy stuff on the terminals so I cleaned them as well.

Short of removing the tank etc I have done as much as I can do, will see what happens from here now.

I have done a heap of searches and reading but couldn't find much on items slowly breaking down causing issues so has anyone had anything like that with electrical items breaking down slowly?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Ok, checked everything under the seat, pushed and pulle every connection, relay, fuse etc.

A couple of relays had a minor amount of crud but I wouldn't have thought it would be enough to upset it but I cleaned them anyway.

Took off the headlight mask and did the same, checked everything I could.

Lastly I checked the off on switch which is a Euro switch, it has a very small amount of greasy stuff on the terminals so I cleaned them as well.

Short of removing the tank etc I have done as much as I can do, will see what happens from here now.

I have done a heap of searches and reading but couldn't find much on items slowly breaking down causing issues so has anyone had anything like that with electrical items breaking down slowly?
From the HOW.

cpmodem: In the case of a broken ignition switch, lost key, or broken switch wires, it is fairly simple to "hotwire" the 950 Adventure (2003-2006). In the fuse box inside the glove box, simply jumper the Acc1 fuse to the Ignition, Headlights, and Instruments fuses (right three). Make up the jumper ahead of time and keep it on the bike for emergencies. Use a minimum of 2mm (14 AWG) insulated wire for your jumper. Be sure to connect the right three first. Leave the fuses in place and your circuits will be protected as usual. There is no additional load on any wiring as the jumper simply replaces the ignition switch in the circuit. The branch circuits remain un-altered. Jumpering to the other side (bottom side) will leave the circuits unprotected and may cause smoke to escape from the wires.

Hotwire the bike and see if it stops happening. If it does, your ignition switch is dying. This is an easy test to perform. I wish I'd found this info before I'd chased an issue similar to what you describe for two riding seasons.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
From the HOW.

cpmodem: In the case of a broken ignition switch, lost key, or broken switch wires, it is fairly simple to "hotwire" the 950 Adventure (2003-2006). In the fuse box inside the glove box, simply jumper the Acc1 fuse to the Ignition, Headlights, and Instruments fuses (right three). Make up the jumper ahead of time and keep it on the bike for emergencies. Use a minimum of 2mm (14 AWG) insulated wire for your jumper. Be sure to connect the right three first. Leave the fuses in place and your circuits will be protected as usual. There is no additional load on any wiring as the jumper simply replaces the ignition switch in the circuit. The branch circuits remain un-altered. Jumpering to the other side (bottom side) will leave the circuits unprotected and may cause smoke to escape from the wires.

Hotwire the bike and see if it stops happening. If it does, your ignition switch is dying. This is an easy test to perform. I wish I'd found this info before I'd chased an issue similar to what you describe for two riding seasons.

Like to do that too but we are on 2007 950 SE, how difficult is it to do to the SE or is it the same other than not in the glovebox?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
damn.... more bad luck.... I feel bad for ya'll! Next bike outta be a KLR
Old 04-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
damn.... more bad luck.... I feel bad for ya'll! Next bike outta be a KLR
Yes this fucken thing has cost us dearly and is still costing us dearly in repairs, we continue to be plagued with shit going wrong on it.

Have to say it is wearing me down and I am getting pissed with it cos one day after another we are having to do all sorts of fixits and on the road this is 10 fold more difficult ... I don't mind a few things but fuck me I wouldn't mind a bit of a clean run.

Today is one of those "I regret buying this bike" days and unfortunately there are still too many of them
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Good morning guys

Ok we set off for our next leg and she coughed and spluttered, we only got 6 km out of town and now we are back.

On our return she ran fine FFS!!!!

Going to pull the tank now and get into it a lot deeper so any assistance would be grateful.

I am one step off ditching the bike for ever I have had enough
Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Found this traced it back to the off on switch, assume it is to be connected at the bottom, about to check the wiring diagram as well but if any SE owners can confirm this would be great.

I have the bike scattered all over the courtyard now and I don't want to pull the ignition switch set apart if I can help it.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Is it behind the headlight mask?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/103697227/1.xps
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/103697227/2.xps
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote