Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Looking for route ideas around the springs.

I'm coming down to Florida for a week long camping/ biking trip. I've already got a route that brings me down the east coast stopping at state parks and brings me as far as miami, then I'll ride the loop road and back up to Naples. From there the idea was to head up the coast and eventually work my way back on and explore the springs around the Santa Fe river area.

Any route recommendations up that way? I grew up not far off in Flagler beach but never really explored much of the springs that weren't in the Ocala national forest or down towards Apopka and Orlando.

Thanks,
Dom

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
you're gonna need a canoe/kayak to enjoy most of the springs, particularly those on the Santa Fe. I've not been to all the spring but i have most, in a canoe or kayak, and the very best 'i've' found is Silver springs. launch your boat at the bridge on 40 and paddle up stream into silver river and up to silver springs. the water is chrystal clear the entire trip. ALL other rivers i've paddled in Fla are dark from tannic acid. just getting off the bike to look at a spring is over in 2 seconds and not rewarding. but, you can camp at Jenny Springs and dive or snorkel them. Jenny also rents canoes. rent a canoe from santa fe river outfitters and paddle down to jenny Springs. haven't heard from you on stromtroopers in a while...
Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 11,967
Rent a tube and float down towards the Sante Fe

Here

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 11,967
Or come to Weeki Wachee and paddle the river, it's even better

Let me know, I could arrange a no fee paddle

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
you're gonna need a canoe/kayak to enjoy most of the springs, particularly those on the Santa Fe. I've not been to all the spring but i have most, in a canoe or kayak, and the very best 'i've' found is Silver springs. launch your boat at the bridge on 40 and paddle up stream into silver river and up to silver springs. the water is chrystal clear the entire trip. ALL other rivers i've paddled in Fla are dark from tannic acid. just getting off the bike to look at a spring is over in 2 seconds and not rewarding. but, you can camp at Jenny Springs and dive or snorkel them. Jenny also rents canoes. rent a canoe from santa fe river outfitters and paddle down to jenny Springs. haven't heard from you on stromtroopers in a while...
Yeah I've been mostly just commuting lately and not doing many epic rides so yeah I've been absent from stormtrooper. In thinking of changing the front and rear suspension here soon so I'll be around more in the not too distant future. This trip is more about riding so I'm good with just checking out the springs and going for a quick swim. We will come back with the kayaks in a few months. I'll check out Jenny Springs, I don't belive I've been to that one. I've got loose plans to check out a bunch of the springs on the santa fe.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote