User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
AndyGilbert OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
XR650L - Engine case won't split

Howdy, how is everyone? I'm working on an XR650L at the moment. I have to get the engine case apart to replace the counter shaft during my rebuild process. I have every bolt out and the little bits off the side, but, the case doesn't seem to want to split. I made a pair of splitting pliers out of a couple 2x4's laying around. I ended up breaking my homemade pliers and the case halves never budged. Any thoughts?

Thank you, in advance.
Andy
AndyGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
There's a thread in Thumpers , building an XR650L engine.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
AndyGilbert OP
Adventurer

That is a good thread that I have read a couple times, but it doesn't cover any disassembly. I have the head, cylinder and side covers off. I have the shift rod and spring removed. I have all the stater/magneto parts off. I have the timing chain and reduction gear parts off. I have all the bolts around the two halves removed(both sides) and it doesn't seem to want to open up at all. I got the idea for the homemade pliers from this vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbQJdLP94MI

I duplicated the operation on my workbench to no avail. I just ended up bending the bolt I used to pin together my 2x4's. It feels as if it is just really stuck together or that there is a bolt/part still in it that is keeping it together.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,088
rubber mallet. go buy one
Old 04-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
AndyGilbert OP
Adventurer

A pic of the right side. I do not see anything else to remove from the engine.

The setup, and , the mess.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Post this in the XRL thread in Thumpers. Someone will have something for you.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,940
Get a proper case splitter. The last one i bought was only $20, about 10 years ago. It will spread the tension over a larger area. If it feels stuck then take a brass hammer (or a piece of wood) and tap on the transmission shaft and the bolt that is pressing on the crank. Tight fitting crank bearings and gasket sealer are what usually hold them tight. I would never pry at the cylinder hole like the video suggests. I would not slide anything in between the cases either, that is an easy way to gouge the mating surface.

I made a couple of case splitters when I was young. Use the side cover to mark the holes on a piece of plywood. Dill a hole at the crank center and taper (with a grinder) the bolt that you will use on the crank end so it stays in the hole. You WILL need big (fender) washers on the bolts or they will pull through the plywood. I did this on the first few bikes I tore apart. Then i found that I could buy a case splitter for about the same price as all the bolts and washers, since your side cover bolts will most likely be too short.

rufus screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 04:28 PM
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
AndyGilbert OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the advice, guys. I looked up what a case splitter was and it definitely is the better way to do it. I will probably make one to save time, but that case isn't going to come apart without something like that. Thanks again, guys.

The bike has been down since last year and I am ready to get it going again.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
I have been down this road a few times. Put the stator rotor bolt back in the end of the crank all of the way. Get the biggest steel hammer you have and bang on the stator bolt and the counter shaft as you hold the left side case. It WILL come apart.

No case splitters needed.

Once you do get the cases apart get some sand paper and clean the rust off of the three case locating dowels. Grease them upon reassembly.

This may be of some assistance:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713831

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,363
Ive also split many cases in my everyday business.

Check 1. take a flashlight and make REALLY sure all circlips on shafts and any screws are removed.

Check 2. Make sure somebody didnt get there before you and use Yamabond or something like that to glue the cases together,heat is used to break such a bond.

Having done all this Ive never found a set of cases that wouldnt tap loose with a wood block and hammer,carefully.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
I've never seen an engine without pry points built into the case, find them and use them. There will be offset notches where you can get a screwdriver in to pry the cases apart.

DO NOT HIT THE STATOR BOLT WITH A STEEL HAMMER!!

Dead blow only if you're gonna start hitting things or at the very least a chunk of wood. Good way to bend a crank, pounding on it with a steel hammer.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote