User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
steveindenmark OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Talking Coast to Coast.............Denmark

That is Denmark...Scandanavia and not some place hidden away in the States .

Having watched and read http://www.scootersinthesahara.co.uk/ we decided it would make a change to leave our Moto Guzzi California 1100i in the garage and not worry about going going back to the Swiss Alps and Italy.

We decided we would ditch the testosterone and the biker image and get down to simple riding, just like the BMW GS riders on Scooters in the Sahara.. I raided my money box with Jannies permission, and went out and bought a 2012 Honda Innova 125.

The bike was obviously not just bought to ride across Denmark. I wanted something to use to get to work and back every day and to take small trips in the area where we live. What an eye opener it has been. The first big surprises about this little bike is that is does 55km per litre and has a top speed of 105kph. That is what the brochure says and that is what I am getting. It has a 3.5ltr tank and I carry an extra litre under the rear rack. It costs TEN times as much to fill my little car as it does the Innova each week.

Coast to Coast........Denmark

We took this trip during the summer on a lovely summers day. It is about 200km round trip and we were 2 up with our swimming gear and lunches. We even picked up a kite on our travels. The average speed was about 80kph (50 MPH), we were not rushing and it was a lovely easy ride where we could pull in whenever we wanted to look at things. Jannie is used to being on the back of the Cali but says she had lots of space on the Innova and that it was comfortable.

The words end here and the photos tell the story.

We followed this trip up with a 4 day 400km trip in Northern Germany with our camping gear. No problems at all.

What we have found is when we stop "Real" bikers tend to avoid us but we make a point of looking at their bikes and you know how bikers like to talk about their own bikes :O) Then when they find out we have been all over europe on the Cali, it gives us some biker credability.

The Cali has spent most of the year in the garage and we have put just over 4000km, all fault free on the Innova.

I really did not expect to enjoy it this much. Next time you see a guy on a small bike with all his gear on the back, talk to him. You do not need a big bike to go motorbike touring. I have found that out.

Next year I am hoping to donate my Innova to a hospital in Africa, riding it all the way. It is only a hope at the moment, but watch out for me.

Safe riding, whatever you ride.

Steve
steveindenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Viking from Denmark
VikingRider

Oddometer: 20
Honda Innova forever

Hey Steve
I just agree. Have one myself. Nice bike
Viking from Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenmark View Post
That is Denmark...Scandanavia and not some place hidden away in the States .

Next year I am hoping to donate my Innova to a hospital in Africa, riding it all the way. It is only a hope at the moment, but watch out for me.

Safe riding, whatever you ride.

Steve
Is this really an excuse for a road trip? Sounds good enough to me. Ride on.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Volksg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Undoubtedly a great trip, I share the same opinion with regard to travel in small displacement bikes, hi really like to do my trips in my little 125cc, and also notice that we are somewhat sidelined by guys that has big bikes, I got myself another bike with more cc but it gives me immense pleasure roll in small 125cc, in relation to the project to give the small innova for africa i think its a great idea, if you pass by Portugal tell me about it, cheers.
Volksg is offline   Reply With Quote