Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #31
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
FWIW, I had a similar problem with Mefo Super Explorers on my SE.

Thanks to Bas at Hyperpro and the people at Mefo, I got it replaced under warranty, but the general consensus was that the tire likes to be run at much higher pressures than we are used to.
Even in the dirt.
Mefo recommends something like 43psi at all times

I know these tires are similar, so that might be something to consider.

$.02

D
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #32
motocrotts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
Ran the K60 scout rear for some long trips, two up, and inflated to 33 psi cold. Never had a single crack so the whole over inflation thing makes total sense.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
I have to agree with you. I'm just going to keep a close eye on it. As far as balance goes, with the Alpina tubeless wheels the balance is great.
few other oldies
motocrotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #33
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
13000... How?
Probably Kilometers from the kiwi.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #34
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,474
We currently have 6600 miles or 10646 km on the rear now and it should easily get us to Bogota.

This is running two up with house and content in Central American heat, not our MT 21 dissolved quickly on coarse and hot chip.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #35
TMoore
Arai Test Dummy

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrotts View Post
Just getting to roll over 5K miles on the bike. I usually ride the Dirt bikes in the winter and switch to D/S when it gets hot. I put Alpina Tubless wheels on the bike and installed the K60's at the same time. I still have the Conti and super Mefo on the oem wheels setting in the garage. To be honest the front is good but the Conti is better and the super Mefo is probably better too. I'm just scared of tubes at speed. When I wear these heidi's out I'm putting the mefo and conti on the tubless wheels.
The bike is the most amazing motorcycles I've ever owned, period. I simply love it. Sold the low seats and got a Saddlemans, with the taint relief strip. Very Nice. Had Dillon install an extra fan and I put the OEM mirrors back on. Never have figured out the GPS but no big deal. It's been a great bike for me Jeff, and it's been super friendly even two up in the dirt. I shut the abs off when leaving the pavement as I always stop and adjust the air pressure. Plus I love the ability to just shut off the rear. I was telling Dillion just the other day I bet you wish you hadn't sold it.
Watch out. The Mefo Super Explorer 150/18 is a Tube Type tire. I put a new one on a new Woodys tubeless rim and it leaked air at the
bead. Replaced with new K60 Scout no prob. My bad.

T
2001 Aprilia RSVR Mille
TMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #36
motocrotts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoore View Post
Watch out. The Mefo Super Explorer 150/18 is a Tube Type tire. I put a new one on a new Woodys tubeless rim and it leaked air at the
bead. Replaced with new K60 Scout no prob. My bad.

T
Well, thanks for the good news. I like the Hiedenau's for sure. The grip is excellent on and off road. I do believe the problem is over inflation combined with an abundance of rocks. I was down at the shop today and saw another 990 with a K60 and he had a LOT more cracks and cuts than I do and it was still going strong. I'm not giving up the tubeless rims for tubes. Anybody want a Mefos with 500 miles on it? I may have to look into the TKC-80's, I know they don't last as long but I like to error on the side of caution, I've gone down at 65mph before and it ain't fun.
few other oldies
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #37
sea2sum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I've had a couple sets of K60's and have found the sweet spot two up is 28psi front, and 32 psi rear. I have TPMS, and at 80-90 dergees ambient on pavement the actual rolling pressure goes up to 35-36 in the rear, and 31 in the front. I had some cracking with my first set, but I got 11k out of them.

One thing you might consider for a lot of soft dirt riding is a TKC in the front,and a K60 in the rear. I have found that you'll have great traction on the front, and the rear doesnt matter as much as people give it credit for. Especially on the heavy bikes. You should have to Replace both the front and the rear at the same time.

Just a thought. I ride my GS with that combination a lot in Baja.
sea2sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #38
motocrotts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2sum View Post
I've had a couple sets of K60's and have found the sweet spot two up is 28psi front, and 32 psi rear. I have TPMS, and at 80-90 dergees ambient on pavement the actual rolling pressure goes up to 35-36 in the rear, and 31 in the front. I had some cracking with my first set, but I got 11k out of them.

One thing you might consider for a lot of soft dirt riding is a TKC in the front,and a K60 in the rear. I have found that you'll have great traction on the front, and the rear doesnt matter as much as people give it credit for. Especially on the heavy bikes. You should have to Replace both the front and the rear at the same time.

Just a thought. I ride my GS with that combination a lot in Baja.
Thanks for the tips, I'll try lowering the pressure more and rechecking when their hot. We don't have a lot of soft dirt here though.
few other oldies
Old 04-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #39
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
You can really abuse them without failure.

I rode mine until bald as I couldn't get the tire I needed until Almaty.

and I thougt I used mine up... you win...
bhorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #40
TMoore
Arai Test Dummy

Oddometer: 211
K60 Scout

As a side note/question: I mount all my tires by hand, the hard way on the floor with my knees & spoons. The K60 Scout was the most difficult tire Ive ever put on a rim other than the original 150/18 Karoo. The tire was cold (60F-ish) so Im sure it would have been easier had I left it in the sun for an hour. But Jeebus! I barely got on there. Anybody else? Changing one roadside would not be a happy time.

T
2001 Aprilia RSVR Mille
TMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #41
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,474
Quote:
As a side note/question: I mount all my tires by hand, the hard way on the floor with my knees & spoons. The K60 Scout was the most difficult tire Ive ever put on a rim other than the original 150/18 Karoo. The tire was cold (60F-ish) so Im sure it would have been easier had I left it in the sun for an hour. But Jeebus! I barely got on there. Anybody else? Changing one roadside would not be a happy time.

T
We left ours in the sun for 1/2 hour and it was no worries at all, same method manual armstrong
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #42
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:

T
Yeah, mine was a bitch to get on. Maybe not warm enough. Guess I'll put it in the oven next time.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #43
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
My K60's were a bitch to mount when new also, but I had a flat on the road one time and it was easy as pie to fix, guess they need a few miles to loosen up. bete.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #44
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Good to know. I hope I don't have to find out.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #45
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 310
10,000 kms and probably another 5,000 kms left

I also suffer from a weak right hand. I spend a lot of time running backroads at 80 to 100 kms on as much gravel as possible. Even on highways I tend to run at the speed limit and only occasionally open it up if I need to pass in a hurry. If anything I have my tires a bit underinflated all the time at around 33 psi. The OEM Scorpions were good for 8,000 kms and I could have got another couple thousand out of them but I was heading out on a big trip and wanted a fresh set of rubber. I echo the challenge of mounting the rear tire. I have read somewhere that the issue is the 150-70-18 rear tire is tubeless and consequently is a tighter fit than a tubed tire would be. I do know that I had to inflate the tire to over 45 psi to get the bead to seat on the rim. I then deflated it to my usual running pressure of 33 psi. Mounting the front Heidenau was a breeze, but it is a tubed tire so perhaps that explains it. I sure hope repairing a flat in the field is easier than the initial spooning on of the rear, otherwise I may be stuck for a while. At the moment it is all moot as winter has dealt us another blow here in the great white north and we are getting another 10 - 20 cms (4 - 8 inches) of snow. Now that is depressing. Cheers, David
Fatallybitten is offline   Reply With Quote