'04 KTM 950 Adventure 25 100.00%
'00 Bmw r1150GSA 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
StorBjorn OP
n00b Adventurator

Oddometer: 19
Wicked The Great 950A vs 1150GSA Conundrum

Howdy dudes, long time lurker, first time poster so forgive me if this is post is in the wrong spot....

So heres the problem...

3 days ago I sold my beloved klr685 (might have been a mistake, lol)

I currently have the opportunity to purchase the following bikes with the following mods.

2004 Ktm 950 Adventure with "s" suspension
comes with the following
40,913 current miles
"S" suspension
High fender kit (low fender included)
Excel front rim w/Braking rotors (all brand new)
SW Motech crash bars
AL skid plate
BDCW sidestand relocator
Oberon slave cylinder
CJ Designs waterpump kit
Dr Bean fuel pump mod
BDCW over-sized rear luggage rack
KTM racing mufflers
Renazco seat with brand new leather cover
LED taillight
Anti-gravity battery
Quick change oil drain valve
HDB handgaurds with folding mirrors
Rox bar riser
Pro Taper bars (Carmichael bend)
Heated grips
Fastaway footpegs
Auxiliary power plugs in glove box
Oversized kickstand foot
T63 front tire (95%)
Superexplorer rear (5%) (will include 95% TKC80 rear)
Jessie hard bags
All common issues have been adressed

I also have a truckload of extras:
Crash bar bags
Giant Loop tank bag
Complete set of scratched body work, including fuel tanks
All stock parts (muffler, seat, mirrors, etc)
Spare tubes (front and rear)
Oil filters
Facet fuel pump
Service & repair CD

The guy is asking $6500

2000 BMW 1150GSA
Sargent custom seat (two piece)
Jesse Luggage System
BMW locking top box
Staintune exhaust (sounds really awesome, with a warm, throaty growl. Not loud, just lovely.)
Touratech Engine Guards
BMW skid plate
BMW heated grips
BMW ABS-2 (can be cancelled)
Odyssey PC680 sealed battery
54k miles
also $6500

both bikes have a full maintenance history and from the looks of things, the owners have taken very good care of them both.

I have been investigating the common issues of both bikes and from what I can tell, the beemer seems to have a greater reputation for reliability. I will be doing most of the maintenance on these bikes myself.

Here are the main things I'm looking for in a bike

Reliability(dont wanna be stranded on the side of the road..tooo often)
Ease of maintenance
service intervals
FUN factor
resale value
parts availability

I mostly ride within a 300 mile radius of my house but will occasionally do longer trips. If I can help it I try to stay on dirt gravel roads most of the time, but I always seem to end up on tarmac at some point. I have been riding for a year or so and have about 10k miles of on/off road biking experience.

Sooooo...whatcha guys think? Are these reasonable asking prices (i was thinking 5900-6000 seemed more reasonable). Which bike would be the best, most reliable all rounder given the above information.

StorBjorn screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 06:55 PM
StorBjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,189
The KTM is priced about right considering the extras. They don't go for much cheaper than that. Can't comment on the Beemer.

Here's the deal. Ride them both. Get 10-20 miles on each bike, and then come back to this thread and let us know what you think. The Beemer's a good bike, but it's not a KTM V2. The KTM is a different kind of beast. The 950 can be very reliable. I ride mine to work every day that I can, it's gone up the highest navigable road in the US (Mt. Evans in Colorado) two up, and I'd have no fear of jumping on it and going to Alaska or Ushuaia. The Beemer? I'm sure it would get me to work just as well, and I'm sure that it would also make it to both ends of the continent.

The question is you. Do you want a bike that makes you giggle when you think about putting on your riding gear? If yes, then you don't want a Beemer.

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
If FUN factor is important, go with the KTM.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
StorBjorn OP
n00b Adventurator

Thanks for the reply. I was already kinda leaning toward the ktm...It sounds like it would just be a lot more fun to ride. Each of these bikes are about 7hours away from where I live so its a bit difficult to test drive them at the moment. Hopefully I can get up there within the next week or so. I have been in contact with both of the current owners of each of the bikes. They seem to have taken really good care of of them and have kept on top of common issues and maintenance. Any Specific questions I should ask them??????
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
The BMW weighs 70lbs more than the KTM (not including options and extras). On the tarmac it will feel very planted and will drone on for hours without much input from the rider.

The KTM will require you to drive it.

I've owned both. If I was going to ride I90 from West to East etc, I'd take the R1150GS of course a Connie or FJR would be better.... Maintenance on the BMW is easier. The KTM requires removing a fuel tank for almost any maintenance.

For Adventure riding the KTM is the way to go. Think of the KTM as a KLR with 3 times the power and 10 times the braking. In terms of dual-sport capability the 1150 is a step backwards from your KLR.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
StorBjorn OP
n00b Adventurator

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
The BMW weighs 70lbs more than the KTM (not including options and extras). On the tarmac it will feel very planted and will drone on for hours without much input from the rider.

The KTM will require you to drive it.
Kinda what I was thinkin...either way either one of them has to better than the klr, that thing was all over the place. the beemer would be nice on longer trips
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,503
Depends on how much off road riding you want to do. If you ride alot on the road in rainy conditions . . . Drive shafts are nice. If you plan to do rocky/muddy dual sport riding . . . KTM is the pick.

2014 DL650A for the "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
I had an 1150GSA and now ride a 950SE, ridden the ADV too.
Man, for the 1150 to be considered 'fun' you have to change the exhaust, drop the suspension and chip the motor, otherwise it is just a vehicle doing a pretty good (actually amazing) touring job.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
Radio1
Adventurer

My 2 cents

I rode a 1988 BMW GS r100 from Germany to Australia a few years ago, so I've had a bit of experience on a big boxer - sure maybe 16 or so years less technology - That bike was 210 ks - much lighter than the 1150 gs - and felt it. The boxer engine is kind of like a tractor on two wheels - albiet a fast one. Really reliable but not really very exciting. I now own a 2012 KTM 990 A, it weighs 209 kg, but it doesn't feel it at all, its just the way the thing balances and leaps into action when you want it to. If you want to ride any off road - the Ktm leaves the BMW for dead, it's not that you can't do it is just alot more difficult to do on a bike that is not really made to do it. A 600 CC bike is easier again and 450 CC easier again and in many ways lighter bikes off road are heaps more fun.... it's just getting to the off road bit, that's where you need the big bore engine especially if you carry extra stuff, like a tent or a wife.

The other thing is a heavy bike stops you from trying to do really fun stuff, ive invited some GS riders on some fun semi challenging trails and their eyes glaze over with fear. Mine would to - steep down hill descents into sandy washouts get harder and harder with each kilo as does creek crossings, cornering, mud ect ect.

If you want to really enjoy yourself go with the KTM you won't regret it. It's always the GS riders checking out the KTM riders wondering what if, not the other way around.
Radio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
ABuck99

Oddometer: 510
I own both- used for different purposes. Countless posts & articles comparing these two bikes; end story: KTM 950 will substantially increase your fun factor on & off road. The KTM suspension, geometry, & componentry is superior(far superior)off road- its designed for that purpose, and its limits are only defined by the skill level of the pilot.

KTM maintenance isn't difficult, or unusually more frequent than the BMW. If you have some intermediate wrenching skills and can read, you can do most everything yourself. The common problems have more than likely been sorted out already ( you might look into those at http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html). The collective wisdom found on this forum is extensive, and you'll quickly find solutions to any problems you might encounter. I don't know of a more supported owners forum with so much available data ( & passion) available for one bike.

Buy a 950 or 990
Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
KTMADV
Hammer Down

Oddometer: 166
The KTM is a great bike. It has all the great parts on it and the price is right too.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
StorBjorn OP
n00b Adventurator

So far 100% of voters are saying the KTM is the way to go. Guess thats what I get for posting in the OC forum...

is there any reason at all to consider the 1150gsa. if my main rinding goals are 70%dirt/30% street?

What about resale, if I ever decide to upgrade to a newer/bigger/better bike?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
StorBjorn OP
n00b Adventurator

Also...what should I be looking for when I go tot test ride this thing??
Old 04-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by StorBjorn View Post
So far 100% of voters are saying the KTM is the way to go. Guess thats what I get for posting in the OC forum...

is there any reason at all to consider the 1150gsa. if my main rinding goals are 70%dirt/30% street?

What about resale, if I ever decide to upgrade to a newer/bigger/better bike?
What kind of dirt woul that be then? Flat fireroads or the real deal with deep ruts, loads of mud and mixing in some high speed. The real deal is ALLOT easyer with the adventure. More fun on the street aswell, no boxer engine can match a fat v-twin. Nothing against the GSA but it's a heavy boring turd compared to a 990/950. If u want smooth, slower and the most comfort of all adv bikes the GSA is the pick. Everything else is for the ADV. The ADV can do basicly anything the GSA can, that's not true the other way around.

U need to look at the 990/950 as a big dirtbike, with moderate comfort. The GSA is a big comfortable touring bike, with moderate dirtbike capabilities.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R

Katoom72 screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 03:16 PM
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
StorBjorn OP
n00b Adventurator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
What kind of dirt woul that be then? Flat fireroads or the real deal with deep ruts, loads of mud and mixing in some high speed. The real deal is ALLOT easyer with the adventure. More fun on the street aswell, no boxer engine can match a fat v-twin. Nothing against the GSA but it's a heavy turd compared to a 990/950.
Well around here we have mostly flat ish FS and farm roads. There are rougher trails up in the hills, but lately Ive been held mostly within the offroad limits of my KLR. I basically want a bike that will be capable of conquering pretty much what ever I can throw at it.....sounds like the ktm is the way to go