Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
and if it was a speed camera instead of a LEO you would be getting a greeting card from the state instead...

Just goes to show they are not all a-holes with a chip on their shoulders...

I had a similar experience in my Jeep...Was running late for a class I was teaching on vehicle recovery...probably going 50 in a 35....saw the LEO...slowed down but he pulled out, I pulled over...couldn't find my registration. He said don't worry about and we started shooting the shit about Jeeps and lift kits etc.....I would have shot the shit there all day if he wanted as long as I didn't get the ticket....
Old 04-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,350
The original Triple Nickel...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555th_P...(United_States)

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,335
Wink Needs more Abuse of cowbells!

This story needs embellishing! Are you sure that it did not involve him chasing you for several miles, but you did not realize it because you were into the ride and going so fast that you didn't need to check your mirrors and then when he did catch you. He jumped off his Cop bike with the helicopter over head and beat you until his buddies showed up and tased you, then they agreed to let you you go if you told that nicer version of the story?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
Do you live in NJ also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
This story needs embellishing! Are you sure that it did not involve him chasing you for several miles, but you did not realize it because you were into the ride and going so fast that you didn't need to check your mirrors and then when he did catch you. He jumped off his Cop bike with the helicopter over head and beat you until his buddies showed up and tased you, then they agreed to let you you go if you told that nicer version of the story?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,335
Why do the trees in Mo, lean towards the west??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Do you live in NJ also?
No, but Kansas is real close!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,521
It never even occurred to me that riding with earphones would be against the law. But as it's been brought up on this thread, I used the magic of the internet and came up with this:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.480

of course, it reads like it was translated from japanese or something, but that's the law for you.

The interesting bit is this:

"This section does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles, motorcyclists wearing a helmet with built-in headsets or earphones as approved by the Washington state patrol, or motorists using hands-free, wireless communications systems, as approved by the equipment section of the Washington state patrol."

Like I'm supposed to know what earphones are approved by the Washington state patrol. In any case, the cop never said a word about it and appeared willing to wait until I could hear him, so my guess is it's legal here.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,831
Heading into Portland to see a bunch of the idiots from Jo momma....I'm on I-5 and I see what looks like a K Bike in the median, a crossing maybe?

I put on the left turn signal, to the shoulder and I realize......Oh, shit .....its an Oregon HP Chic shooting laser/radar....

"ma'am, Im sorry, I thought you were a broke down idiot heading to the BMOA Rally".

"Thanks for giving me away", as she slams the gun in her side box and starts up the bike.

I laughed all the way to DireWolfs house
Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
"Thanks for giving me away", as she slams the gun in her side box and starts up the bike.
Sitting in the median and she thought that she was hiding? Did she have her head behind a tree?

k-moe screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 08:29 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #24
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Had a 3.5 hour similar situation with a cop in AZ, not all cops are bad!
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #25
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
My comment was primarily tongue-in-cheek, but in my life experience, people who have "hang-ups" are usually aware of them and "prudent" when it comes to displaying them. I actually prefer the neanderthals that wear such opinions on their sleeves; they're much easier to spot and dismiss.
Gotcha.

I have had several people that I know express issued with LE interactions., however. My personal experience has been generally positive however. It's made for some interesting discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
and if it was a speed camera instead of a LEO you would be getting a greeting card from the state instead...
I hate speed cameras. I don't think they do anything to improve safety--they're money grabbers, pure and simple. Plus, honestly, if states start using them, I'm convinced that more and more people will "accidently" have obscured or blocked plates--that'd take a real cop to notice and enforce.

Red light cameras, however, I think are a fair idea. Seems like more and more people run reds *if* there's not a camera at the intersection.

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 03:55 AM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #26
jk3campbell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
As a LEO I get asked all the time "How do I keep from getting a ticket?"

My favorite response is always "Try breaking only 1 law at a time."

I'm from a fairly small jurisdiction and we don't tend to run alot of traffic, but we have a huge number of squids that come out when it gets warm. I have to admit that they don't usually get a warning. If you're out driving your GSXR without a motorcycle endorsement, while wearing shorts, flip flops, a tank top and no helmet, you are just biding your time until you become a statistic and kill or maim yourself. Which causes my and every other motorcyclist's insurance to go up.
jk3campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
As a white man that's known quite a few visible minorities, I wish I was surprised by your comment. I've also known quite a number of cops and it's never them that have different standards based on skin color. So it's a mystery who these bad apple cops that do exist are. Likely, they can turn it "on" and "off" because they know what the correct answer is when quizzed.
He's in the SouthEast; You're in the NorthWest. Mystery solved.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #28
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
Red light cameras, however, I think are a fair idea. Seems like more and more people run reds *if* there's not a camera at the intersection.
Except, as they've done here in Wenatchee, when they shorten the yellow light cycle time by about a third to generate revenue. Excuse me, I meant 'enhance public safety'.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #29
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Except, as they've done here in Wenatchee, when they shorten the yellow light cycle time by about a third to generate revenue. Excuse me, I meant 'enhance public safety'.

1911fan
It's my hope that cities that do that get spanked by the state or Fed. Or, eff it, ruin it for everyone and yank them. Like speed cameras, if Joe Citizen thinks the enforcement is unfair, then "accidently obscured" plates will become more common.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #30
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
Like speed cameras, if Joe Citizen thinks the enforcement is unfair...
Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Hello? Mr Camera?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote