Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #31
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
I forget the yada-yada on that, but it's something to the effect of a officer (or authorized official) reviewing video that's recorded. From that video, the officer/offical issues the citation.

*If* a high enough percentage of drivers challenged the tickets, the the cities would consider their viability. As it is, enough people just pay and move on.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #32
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,095
Then they get you for that also.
Altered tag= ticket.
Even mud is good for a ticket, and might get you pulled over just for that.
NJ now has camera's on cars (big things on trunk) that scan tags as they drive (or sit) and looks up your info real time.
The system can scan something like 800 tags a minute, and spits out wants, warrents, etc, and if a tag is unreadable they pull you over.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...ystem_sca.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
Gotcha.

I have had several people that I know express issued with LE interactions., however. My personal experience has been generally positive however. It's made for some interesting discussions.

I hate speed cameras. I don't think they do anything to improve safety--they're money grabbers, pure and simple. Plus, honestly, if states start using them, I'm convinced that more and more people will "accidently" have obscured or blocked plates--that'd take a real cop to notice and enforce.

Red light cameras, however, I think are a fair idea. Seems like more and more people run reds *if* there's not a camera at the intersection.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #33
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3campbell View Post
As a LEO I get asked all the time "How do I keep from getting a ticket?"

My favorite response is always "Try breaking only 1 law at a time."

I'm from a fairly small jurisdiction and we don't tend to run alot of traffic, but we have a huge number of squids that come out when it gets warm. I have to admit that they don't usually get a warning. If you're out driving your GSXR without a motorcycle endorsement, while wearing shorts, flip flops, a tank top and no helmet, you are just biding your time until you become a statistic and kill or maim yourself. Which causes my and every other motorcyclist's insurance to go up.
Between this comment and the OP's story where the cop actually mentions the gear and the white helmet, I am more convinced than ever that gear and the bike make a real difference. I must admit that I should have received quite a few tickets over the past few year but strangely, I haven't even been pulled over. I've passed several state and local officers working radar at speeds that should have set off alarm bells.

My explanation for this is the fact that I'm ATGATT on a BMW. In my imagination, I try to read the thoughts of the officers and it goes something like this: "He's not a punk-ass kid on a crotch rocket who is likely to kill himself or somebody else. He's not a drunken redneck on a Harley who probably has a list of priors. Awww... fuck it. It's not worth turning on the blue lights." It seems like the only plausible explanation. Maybe I'm wrong but there really seems to be an advantage to being a middle aged guy with full gear and a bike that doesn't put me into a stereotype of a danger to himself and others.

I even got stopped at a sobriety checkpoint and was asked for my license. I flipped up my Schuberth helmet and explained that this would take a moment since my wallet was under my gear. The guy paused, looked at me and asked, "Do you have a motorcycle endorsement?" I said yes and he waved me on by.

I love Virginia.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #34
NJ-Brett
Brett

They just figure you have enough money for gear and a BMW, you can afford a good lawyer.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #35
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
They just figure you have enough money for gear and a BMW, you can afford a good lawyer.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #36
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,508
Gray hair around the edges, a bald noggin, full fluorescent green gear and a BMW will get you a lot of warnings.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #37
oldtrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
+1 on that.

The past two pull overs, they let me off after some friendly banter.

(I have the sickly feeling in my gut that they kinda pitied this old fart)

On the other hand, If you get a lassie, you are screwed. Must be something about hating their fathers or some-such. Hmmmm. No quarter from them, including Customs.

Speeding... The last vestige of youth. Ride well and swift my friends !
Old 04-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #38
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
Cops make judgement calls. I wouldn't expect to hear that too much in an open forum, but it'd be foolish to think otherwise.

A bike or car with good tires and brakes, readily available documents, non-a**hole driver, etc., etc., a move a person closer to a warning within the officer's personal "gray area" for enforcement. The reverse is also true, of course.

As for camera enforcement, a "accidently obscured" plate also entails an officer's attention and judgement. I truly believe that increased camera enforcement will result in more "accidently obscured" plates. We're still early in the camera days, but over the next 5-, 10-years? As cities look for more ways to fill the coffers? You bet, I just don't see how it won't happen.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #39
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,513
I like this: http://www.photoblocker.com/

Might have to try it.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #40
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post

Might have to try it.

1911fan
Holy smoke! The spray is $49.99. That's pretty expensive, but I suppose if it works once and saves you a ticket, then the cost is worthwhile.

The motorcycle plate is only $23. That's not bad at all, and I'm seriously considering buying one.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #41
NJ-Brett
Brett

Thing is, with the new systems, that will likely get you pulled over because their gizmo could not read your tag.
That puts you into the suspect catagory.

I had a friend that was using a truck that mostly sat in his yard, with a dirty old tag and they pulled him over just because the gizmo could not read it.
If you tag can not be read, they think you are up to something big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post

Might have to try it.

1911fan
Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #42
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
My last stop was doing 76 in a 55. I thought the speed limit was 65 and I'm usually doing 85.

The highway patrol officer was more than courteous and polite, gave me a HUGE break and wrote me for '...wasting of a finite resource...' Here in AZ that is a $95 fine and no moving points on the license.

Shot the shit with him for a few minutes and was on my way. All documents in order (kept in a small metal cigar box in my pocket) , yellow/black armor jacket, modular helment, boots, etc.

Since over 20mph moves to criminal and I have a CDL for work, I felt like paying this guys house payment for a couple months.

If you are north of Tucson and get pulled over by officer Hawkins, give him a kiss on the mouth for me.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI

Tucson Jim screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 07:34 AM
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #43
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
and for a hilarious take on black vs. white views on being stopped by the police: Dave Chappelle's white friend gets pulled over.

Dave's Friend Chip: Dave! Close your butt cheeks and relax. "...I'm sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuh1AqR0NA0

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #44
matkal
Assault Commuter

Oddometer: 1,592
I was in Hamilton, Ont recently and passed a car on the right, then (safely) signaled and moved in front of him to avoid a slower car in the right lane. Of course there's a cop at an intersection and I'm like "Oh shit!"..I look in my mirror and he turns on his lights....""FUCK!".

He pulls over the car I just passed! LOL. I don't know what the speed limit was, or how fast i was going(the KPH #s on my speedo are very hard to read) but we where definitely speeding.

I bet that the guy in the car was PISSED!

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #45
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
Gotcha.

I have had several people that I know express issued with LE interactions., however. My personal experience has been generally positive however. It's made for some interesting discussions.

I hate speed cameras. I don't think they do anything to improve safety--they're money grabbers, pure and simple.

If someone is getting pulled over enough to say the bad interactions outweigh the good, maybe there is more than one issue going on?

I have only seen speed cameras in school zones that are only active when the "children present" speed reduction is in effect, which I don't see as objectionable. Are they being used anywhere else?