User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
OlivierS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
FI light Urgent!

I have a few issues with the fuel injection so it seems. Two weeks ago, during a muddy offroad ride, the light came on a few times, not flickering, just on, only to dissapear later.

Last week I didn't have any problems at all.

Today, the light went on, and stayed on for over an hour, untill I got home. Somebody told me it could be a problem with the battery, so I charged that. Light was not on when I started, but after a two minute test ride it started flickering, I counted 8 flicks but there is no code for 8 in the manual, so I guess it must be 7, wich is a problem with the second throttle sensor according to my manual. Then I cut the engine, and when I turned it back on, and drove home, another short ride, the FI light stayed out....

I asked at the KTM dealership, but off course there are no mechanics in on sunday to test it.

Anyway, I have a +200 K ride planned for tomorrow, Does anyone know if I should risk that with all the issues. Engine runs fine, can't hear of feel a thing.
Would hate to have to take my car tomorrow, we finally have some spring sun here, and I am off to an off road terrain to test the KTM Freeride...

EDIT;
Apparently the light only flashes when in neutral... I misread the error code. It is 72. That is the stepper motor for the second throttle valve. Very nice of them to put that in the manual, only now I still don't have an idea what the hell is going on :-).

OlivierS screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 10:12 AM
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,135
Download tuneecu, get the OBD cable ebay or else and look into the faults. Great way to look into the beasts belly.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivierS View Post
I have a few issues with the fuel injection so it seems. Two weeks ago, during a muddy offroad ride, the light came on a few times, not flickering, just on, only to dissapear later.

Last week I didn't have any problems at all.

Today, the light went on, and stayed on for over an hour, untill I got home. Somebody told me it could be a problem with the battery, so I charged that. Light was not on when I started, but after a two minute test ride it started flickering, I counted 8 flicks but there is no code for 8 in the manual, so I guess it must be 7, wich is a problem with the second throttle sensor according to my manual. Then I cut the engine, and when I turned it back on, and drove home, another short ride, the FI light stayed out....

I asked at the KTM dealership, but off course there are no mechanics in on sunday to test it.

Anyway, I have a +200 K ride planned for tomorrow, Does anyone know if I should risk that with all the issues. Engine runs fine, can't hear of feel a thing.
Would hate to have to take my car tomorrow, we finally have some spring sun here, and I am off to an off road terrain to test the KTM Freeride...
Where?

Can't help ya out right away, don't have that mutch experience with the 990s.
I'd check the connection of the sensor for corrosion, moisture and/or dirt.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R

Katoom72 screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 10:15 AM
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
OlivierS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Where?

Can't help ya out right away, don't have that mutch experience with the 990s.

In Bilstain. Organised by endurofun. It's three days, but I have a funny feeling everything will be booked.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
OlivierS OP
Adventurer

Went to the dealer, apparently the sensor for the throttle valve was a bit off. It is ok to drive like this, they will attend to it when the bike gets serviced next week. I figured if they have to take everything off they might as well service it as well.