User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
JAMES WINTERS OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
08 KLR 650 22 cent mod

Ive decided to do the 22 cent mod and was wondering if I should do the L mod at the same time?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,479
instead of cutting out the L, I drilled four 1" holes in the box. much cleaner operation & easier to fix if you decide to go back. dumped the snorkle too. does it help? meh... mebby. I have a Gen I so ymmv
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
instead of cutting out the L, I drilled four 1" holes in the box. much cleaner operation & easier to fix if you decide to go back. dumped the snorkle too. does it help? meh... mebby. I have a Gen I so ymmv
"mebby..."?

I have never seen any documented before and after, specific, measured information that confirms the L mod or the snorkle removal mods work. Lots of anecdotal and tribal banter. Makes more carb related noise - same as noisy exhausts. A waste of money on a KLR - unless noise and looks are what you want.

As I have commented before in other threads, I tried the KLX needle, drilling the slide, other jets etc and eventually about 40K miles ago, happily reverted back to stock.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
I did the 22 cent mod and found it helped to stop some of the popping on deceleration. If you are looking for more power, not so much.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

it makes the throttle response quicker... more hp? not so much... mebby, but only a fraction if any... pretty negligible

anyway... why not... klr's struggle for any gains
Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #6
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Advance the exhaust cam 1 tooth. Better result and cheaper than 22 cents
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
ejbeert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
i would say do one thing at a time. 22 cent first see what happens. May be pull the snorkel next than the l mod, though i like beezers idea better.
Doing too much at one time gets confusing especially if something goes wrong or you end up not likeing what you did. Also 22 cent richens engine in first part of the throttle opening up air box leans out every where. My basis recomendation based on my, limited knowledge and experience with two bikes klr and ktm is to check out james dean jetting before you do any cutting. There may be nothing wrong with other ways but jd has worked for me.
ejbeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
For me, I don't like the .22 mod because I don't like the needle taper. I use/used the KLX needle, which has a much better taper design and it works perfectly well. The .22 mod is a cheap band aid for a needle designed to meet clean air standards and not performance.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

and if you start fiddling around with jets be aware that Kehin, Mikuni, and Dynojet all have a different size hole for the same jet number... do not mix.. it will drive you insane. how do I know this?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Jubal H.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
22 Cent Mod 2011 KLR

Took the plunge today and gave my bike the storied 22 cent mod.
When finished I only managed to take a short loop or two around my apt. complex as a test. So far I would have to say I am glad I did it, lean popping on deceleration seems to be gone and that alone is worth the trouble.

I never did expect any HP gains so if the bike hasnt gained any power I am OK with that. Smoother roll on power and less hesitation when cold or at very low RPMs will also please me..and the bike.
Phil
Jubal H. is offline   Reply With Quote