ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Stromin'Nroman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Fixing Hurricane Creek

There has been concern about some yahoos in 4x4's and on quads making a mess of the Hurricane Creek area, potentially restricting access to this popular destination for local ADVriders and the general public.

Well, the Western North Carolina Alliance is partnering with a contractor and the US Forest Service to close some of these recently blazed trails in the area to reduce silt flow into these trout waters.

Anybody interesting in lending some help can check out this link:

http://wnca.org/volunteers-sought-fo...illegal-roads/

Suzuki DL650A K7
SW-Motech Centre Stand & Crashbars
Caribou Luggage

".......and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC." Frank Zappa, 1979
Stromin'Nroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
It's hard to imagine such a thing as "illegal roads" in a free country (Hitler would be proud) but, that seems to be the way America is headed.

Never the less if we want to keep the tiny bit of riding we legally have left, we should be active in projects like this & make it known that there are responsible riders out there.

Hurricane creek flows past Loretta Lynns, which I'm 45 miniutes west of. If there was any work to be done in my area I'd help but, the Pisgah National Forest is a bit of a trek for me. Hopefully the locals who will be hurt the most by land closures in that area will step up.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromin'Nroman View Post
Well, the Western North Carolina Alliance is partnering with a contractor and the US Forest Service to close some of these recently blazed trails in the area to reduce silt flow into these trout waters.
there was a similar problem in the George Washington NF, cutting new trails, and so on.

then the FS busted a bunch of those responsible, arrested, fined, and all the vehicles and equipment confiscated. that got the word out right quick.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
TanasiRob
Squid Emeritus

Oddometer: 977
yeah........ quads

I am conflicted about the Quads as they really do chew up a trail and are frequently used like a bull in a flora china shop, but there have been times when on two wheels in the middle of nowhere that they are the most welcome thing you can ever see.

So would the volunteers be assisting in the closing by collecting samples or taking clean samples with them to turn in later
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
late-apex
XR650L

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
It's hard to imagine such a thing as "illegal roads" in a free country (Hitler would be proud) but, that seems to be the way America is headed.

Never the less if we want to keep the tiny bit of riding we legally have left, we should be active in projects like this & make it known that there are responsible riders out there.

Hurricane creek flows past Loretta Lynns, which I'm 45 miniutes west of. If there was any work to be done in my area I'd help but, the Pisgah National Forest is a bit of a trek for me. Hopefully the locals who will be hurt the most by land closures in that area will step up.

Welcome to the new Amerika! BTW thanks Obama, now Balsam Mountain Rd. is closed due to budget cuts, how about kicking a few deadbeats off welfare and use that money to keep the road open.
late-apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by late-apex View Post
Balsam Mountain Rd. is closed due to budget cuts,
I couldn't believe that when I read it but.... just verified it to be true.
Thanks for passing that along.
And that totally SUCKS !
So disappointed in our national leadership.

To the OP - so it seems the Hurricane Creek Road issue is just some folks cleaning up some "bandit" roads??? That is, places where 4x4s have blazed in new trails or mud holes? If that's the case, then I think it's a good thing they are cleaning it up (sending a message) to the trail blazers. I just hope the blazers are smart enough to realize the (more than likely) irreversible closures they may cause.

Boy I tell ya, if the huggers try and close Hurricane Creek Road, the entire local community better get involved. Hot Springs could really be hurt economically if the closed HCR.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 722
I just rec'd an email from the project coordinator. The work days have been moved to April 29-30.
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Stromin'Nroman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
Boy I tell ya, if the huggers try and close Hurricane Creek Road, the entire local community better get involved. Hot Springs could really be hurt economically if the closed HCR.

That's why I posted this.

I'm not sure exactly what volunteers will be asked to do, I probably won't be able to make this weekday event.

Suzuki DL650A K7
SW-Motech Centre Stand & Crashbars
Caribou Luggage

".......and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC." Frank Zappa, 1979
Stromin'Nroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
TanasiRob
Squid Emeritus

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanasiRob View Post
So would the volunteers be assisting in the closing by collecting samples or taking clean samples with them to turn in later
Oh HELL!! I suppose I should have looked closer at the link.................
Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Volunteers will support contractors by building silt fences, raking, seeding, dragging brush, and other physical activities.
I'm intending to go on the bike to try to help the others there see that there's a connection between responsible use and motorcycles. If more riders were out helping restore and minimizing needless impact, the discussion would be less binary and more about sustainable use and how to promote it to the variety of users. Be part of the solution not just the problem.
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy_Crk View Post
I just rec'd an email from the project coordinator. The work days have been moved to April 29-30.
Damn, they just do whatever suits them best....
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy_Crk View Post
I'm intending to go on the bike to try to help the others there see that there's a connection between responsible use and motorcycles. If more riders were out helping restore and minimizing needless impact, the discussion would be less binary and more about sustainable use and how to promote it to the variety of users. Be part of the solution not just the problem.
Good on you. I'd come help as well but there's no way I can make that weekend. Would love to hear a follow up afterwards
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
LtDan
I'm going home

Oddometer: 225
I would sure hate to see Hurricane Creek closed, in my opinion it is one of the best technical trails around, especially for the big bikes. Have noticed more and more quad tracks taking off of the main trail, as well as big mud holes they like to play in and well, the mud does go into the creek. Will try to make one day to help and spread the word around as well.
More bad news, was riding on the Cherokee reserve last Tuesday, which I have since the mid 90's, and was pulled over, seems the Cherokee Band directors passed a law last year making it illegal for anyone that is not a band member to ride on this land. Always thought it was nice of them to allow this and would pick up some trash every time I went through. Again, the reason seems to be the quads making new trails anywhere they desired. I didn't see any new signs referring to this but the fine is $500, which he was nice enough to let me go as long as I passed the word around.
865-448-6090
www.gsmmotorent.com
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
was riding on the Cherokee reserve last Tuesday,

Hey LTD --- Where you talking about there ^ ^ ^ ^
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
LtDan
I'm going home

Oddometer: 225
Great area to ride, or was. If you have ever been to Mile High CG, it is the roads going out of it. You could also access it from other roads heading up out of Cherokee towards the BRP.
My son and I first rode up there in the mid 90's, didn't have any idea it was there. We were on a family camping trip and happen to have a couple of bikes in the truck, saw the trails, and at that time riding the area was allowed.
Over the last few years though you started seeing lots of trash thrown around and 4 wheeler tracks going off in all directions so I guess that is what caused them to close the area, real unfortunate.
865-448-6090
www.gsmmotorent.com
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote