ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
LtDan
I'm going home

Oddometer: 219
HC Rd. update. Went over bright and early this morning with the understanding the 29th and 30th we're the days volunteers were needed to help out.
Didn't see anyone from the River Alliance, but there was 2 guys, they were an independent contractor working for the Forest Service, working on the road about a third of the way up, they said they didn't know anything about any volunteering. One was trimming back low hanging limbs along the road and the other was on a mini excavator pulling up big rocks and smoothing the road as well as cutting in some water breaks to ease the erosion, said they were going to do the whole road. I asked if they were going to rock it and they said no, so be ready for some mud next time you head that way as when the pull up the rocks there lies the mud.
Anyway, seems there was a meeting and according to this one fellow there was overwhelming support to keep the road open, guess they have to cause there are multiple property owners that have to have access.
865-448-6090
www.gsmmotorent.com
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 672
I emailed the contact from the WNCA Sunday evening and have called a few times over the last couple of days and never could get in contact with anyone involved in this project. Not sure what happened from the volunteer end of things but at least there's work going on. If I ever get any solid answers I'll post up again.
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
I would sure hate to see Hurricane Creek closed, in my opinion it is one of the best technical trails around, especially for the big bikes. Have noticed more and more quad tracks taking off of the main trail, as well as big mud holes they like to play in and well, the mud does go into the creek. Will try to make one day to help and spread the word around as well.
More bad news, was riding on the Cherokee reserve last Tuesday, which I have since the mid 90's, and was pulled over, seems the Cherokee Band directors passed a law last year making it illegal for anyone that is not a band member to ride on this land. Always thought it was nice of them to allow this and would pick up some trash every time I went through. Again, the reason seems to be the quads making new trails anywhere they desired. I didn't see any new signs referring to this but the fine is $500, which he was nice enough to let me go as long as I passed the word around.
Dan,

That really sucks! I used to ride all through the reservation. Some really fun roads and trails. Another FYI for everyone... Winding Stairs Road in the Nantahala Gorge is closed indefinitely with signs posted saying "No Motorized Vehicles." Rumor has it that it may get transferred to Swain County. If that happens, then it may reopen but the Forest Service will not open it as long as they have jurisdiction.

I think I'm selling my dual sport bikes.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #19
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Work Together

We all better work together or we're going to lose one of our special resourses in the area! Thanks to Lt Dan and others who keep us focused on these riding areas!
DRZ 400
Harley Road Glide
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #20
LtDan
I'm going home

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
Dan,

That really sucks! I used to ride all through the reservation. Some really fun roads and trails. Another FYI for everyone... Winding Stairs Road in the Nantahala Gorge is closed indefinitely with signs posted saying "No Motorized Vehicles." Rumor has it that it may get transferred to Swain County. If that happens, then it may reopen but the Forest Service will not open it as long as they have jurisdiction.

I think I'm selling my dual sport bikes.
Now Joe, lets not give up that easy. There still are plenty of places to ride and more to find. We all just need to work harder in representing our passion for DS riding and set a good example to those that don't understand what we do. Also need to educate riders on leaving no trace, some can ride through an area and not know anyone has been there, others feel a need to rip it up, make noise, etc.
We should all try harder to stop and maybe pick up a little trash when riding, stop and talk with folks, and generally try to get along and be good stewards of this beautiful area.

Dan
PS Joe, lets go riding soon!
865-448-6090
www.gsmmotorent.com
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote