User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Rally_West OP
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
New bike or keep my 990?

Kinda been getting the itch to get something new...not really for "new" sake, but it's been on my mind. I LOVE my 990 and have only owned one non KTM in the last 20 plus years (I have an '07 450 EXC now as well). However, I really do/have not used my 990 to it's fullest off piste potential and therefore I have considered the offering from the other 3 letter manufacturer lately. Obvious reasons: More fuel, better (I hate to use that word here, but...) "road" worthiness, I kinda like the idea of tubeless (although I don't have them on any bike), there seems to be a better support (shops, parts, etc) for GS (?), etc.

So I am trying to decide if I should keep my '07 990 @20k miles, that is almost totally dialed in or wait for a new 1190 or a watercooled GS Adv.

If I keep mine I want to get the Safari tanks and a CJ (?) tool storage (I am already 2 into 1). And that might be about it...maybe a more comfy seat to go with the longer range tanks.

If I get a new bike I'll have to start over, almost...including paying for the damn thing. I am planning some longer trips in the US as well Mex and Can in the near the future...next couple of years...and that extra money spent/saved could change those plans.

The 1190 seems like the PERFECT bike as I hear the new motor is less buzzy (adding to it's "road worthiness") than the 990 and of course 150hp is gonna be real nice. Slightly larger tank than 990 and tubeless (to each their own). I can use my current GPS and my HDB gaurds, and likely I can use my Happy Trails cases...so that would take the sting out of outfitting the new bike.

I know the answer I am likely to get as to which, if any, new bike to get here, but I was hoping to get a feeling as to IF the 1190 will be worthwhile enough to sell my kidney for or if I should STFU and be psyched I even a bike to ride...and just go ride what I have.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,562
Once you go Orange, you will never happy with others!!

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,306
I would keep it. I have an 07 S that is completely dialed. Suspension and all. I have spent a ton of time making it perfect and I ride it pretty hard.

Every other bike I try just doesn't have that thing my 990 has that makes me into a complete idiot out in the woods.

My 690 is fun but it doesn't dig as deep of a trench when I gas it as the 990. ;)

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 991
I'd sell that pos 990, get yourself a Starbucks cruiser.
Why would you want a perfectly dialed, unmatched Adventure bike,
if you can't even figure out where to ride it ?

I'll give you $5,000 for it.

Max
Old 05-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Rally_West OP
Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
I'd sell that pos 990, get yourself a Starbucks cruiser.
Why would you want a perfectly dialed, unmatched Adventure bike,
if you can't even figure out where to ride it ?

I'll give you $5,000 for it.

Max
There's always one...I was asking for it though and I knew it. As I was writing this I was basically answering my own question.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,325
I had several other bikes when I got my 990. I only got the 990 to see if I liked it. I got rid of the other bikes...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,220
Stay with it a while longer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
There's always one...I was asking for it though and I knew it. As I was writing this I was basically answering my own question.
If you want to have the option of riding more pavement, by a set of Alpina 19/17 tubeless and swap them for canyon riding up PCH into the canyons behind Malibu. Add a advtank to push your range... or a Safari tank. You will feel like you have two bikes for the price of an awesome set of wheels.

I'm a So. Cal. Guy...

Hook up with some local guys like me to do some great nearby Adventure touring rides... Check out some of my ride reports like the Imitation Mediteranean ride, where you can run your dual sport tires and enjoy the other adventure touring personality of your bike.

Then after the Adv 1190 has been out for a few years you can pick up a used one for a deal... From a local guy who fixed it up but got antsy and sold it.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 08:26 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
+1 - could not have said it better myself. I had a 950 and debated internally whether or not to wait for the 1190. I own an RC8R so I can tell you that it is not less "buzzy" than the 990 engine - they are the same family of engines, whatever buzz exists seems to be native to the engine design. Think of it as character. I am also going to get a set of Alpina 19/17s for my bike for all the road riding I do. I might change my mind in a year or so but the new 1190 Adventure looks too much like the child of the KTM 990 SMT and a Honda Crosstour despite all of its electronic and power advancements, it wasn't enough for me to wait and I bought a brand new 990R - figured it is the last of the current generation and at the top of its evolutionary cycle given all the years of development and improvement. I've got Leo Vince mufflers on it and am planning for improved air breathing through either the CPR Rottweiler or similar then I will tune it with a PC-V and I will bet that once I've done that and with the lighter, tubeless 19/17 wheels - it will be an extremely competent canyon machine. As it is it seems to manage holding its ground with sport bikes in most instances...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
If you want to have the option of riding more pavement, by a set of Alpina 19/17 tubeless and swap them for canyon riding up PCH into the canyons behind Malibu. Add a advtank to push your range... or a Safari tank. You will feel like you have two bikes for the price of an awesome set of wheels.

I'm a So. Cal. Guy...

Hook up with some local guys like me to do some great nearby Adventure touring rides... Check out some of my ride reports like the Imitation Mediteranean ride, where you can run your dual sport tires and enjoy the other adventure touring personality of your bike.

Then after the Adv 1190 has been out for a few years you can pick up a used one for a deal... From a local guy who fixed it up but got antsy and sold it.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Rally_West OP
Central Scrutinizer

Well...now I'm trouble...just ordered from CJ

1. Safari tanks
2. Fuel filters
3. CPR Rott filter
4. TuneEcu cable
5. Storage container to fill hole where stock heat producing canister was
6. Oil drain kit...I am not gonna want to take the Valdez tanks off too often

So, I guess I made my decision. Looking to do Colo BDR this summer...maybe or at least some of it...then next year finish and do Utah and maybe Az as well.

That was far easier than buying a new bike.

Thanks for your support of my illness (which I share with most of you).
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
You chose wisely. I just got rid of my Harley Sportster and my TE449 for my 2013 990 Baja. Rode it out to a friends house in La Crescenta this past weekend to ride around Gorman. It did awesome and will do even better when I install the new .62 for springs I ordered.

PS

I just met George of ESP and he is a cool dude. If I lived out there, he would be doing the suspension work on my bike.

I also stopped by Seat Concepts in Hemet and had them put a new firmer seat foam and cover on.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Rally_West OP
Central Scrutinizer

George is an outstanding guy and will do my 990 in due time. Already talked to Seat Concepts and they are gonna build me one too. Is that you first 990 or ADV bike? I bet you are stoked. I love the white...looks clean.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
George is an outstanding guy and will do my 990 in due time. Already talked to Seat Concepts and they are gonna build me one too. Is that you first 990 or ADV bike? I bet you are stoked. I love the white...looks clean.
It's my first big adventure bike. Previous bikes were a KTM 640 Adventure and a Husqvarna TE449. After following a buddy for a 350 mile day while on my TE449, I determined I needed a proper bike. I want to do longer trips and the single cylinder bikes just weren't going to cut it for that. I'm not really much into singletrack. For the quad/4x4 trails I do and the open desert of the southwest the 990 does great. Yes it's a heavy beast, but if you stay in balance it's not hard to control. I'm thinking of going to a tubeless Alpina wheel setup. Going past Murrieta Califonia on I-15 I picked up a huge nail. If I was tubeless I could have just tossed a plug in and rode off. As it was I got towed back up to La Crescenta and had to have George pop the tire off the bead. I was damn near welded to the wheel. I couldn't get it off with tire irons.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Rally_West OP
Central Scrutinizer

I still have my single track bike (450 EXC) and I will always have one as that is my true love...although I am starting to sell all my toys off and consolidate, but the trail bike will be the last to go.

The tire might be on so tight as I bet it was mounted at the factory...for some reason the first time you change the factory tire is the worst. I feel ya with the tubeless set up...I wish there was a great solution...the new 1190s are tubeless and I am wondering of those will fit the earlier bikes. I have considered others as well, but not convinced and I have heard an overwhelming positive response for any of them.

BTW...that Vette put down some nice numbers. You track it? I have a WRX with @ 500 ft. lbs...still 2.0L...it's a lot of fun.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

I've ran it on the road course at Inde Motorsports Ranch in Wilcox Arizona. That was before the blower. Now it makes 604rwhp at 9.5psi on E85. I ran a dude on GSXR-1000 from 50-140mph and he was only a couple of cars ahead of me. He said it surprised him when I was right there with him.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 991
Good on yuh mate. OC to the core.

I'd add the red over filter to the CPR and you never need to clean the main
filter.

Crank Tunecu up, balance your TB's, adjust your TPS and
load up the Akra map and your ready to rock.

Twist it, Max