User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Dirt Jag OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Making a KTM 690 into an adventure bike

After a bad crash 2 years ago(got thrown into the center of railroad tracks at a good rate of speed) I have to give up the full dirt thing. So I am recouping and I went out and purchased a 2007 KTM 690 SM that I am going to make into a small ADV bike(I am 70 years old and only 5' 6'' and 135 lbs)---there is no small ADV bikes out there. Has anyone allready done this? Any ideas or thoughts would be great. What I have in mind is lower the bike 2",put on a wind shield, change the exhaust,replace the 17' front rim with a 2.15x19" silver Excel rim and a 100/110/90x19 dualsport tire and replace the rear 17x5" with a 3.50x17 silver Excel rim with a 130/140/90x17 dualsport tire,replace the front peak with a black supermoto front fender or a black low front fender---my mounting holes on the bottom of the fork are 30mm apart(no mounting holes on bottom of tripple tree.I will have the stock wheels for sale if I can find some hubs and the 3.5x17 rear rim to lace(allready have front rim).
If anyone has some ideas or parts I would really like to hear from you.
Dirt Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
nsrrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Jag View Post
After a bad crash 2 years ago(got thrown into the center of railroad tracks at a good rate of speed) I have to give up the full dirt thing. So I am recouping and I went out and purchased a 2007 KTM 690 SM that I am going to make into a small ADV bike(I am 70 years old and only 5' 6'' and 135 lbs)---there is no small ADV bikes out there. Has anyone allready done this? Any ideas or thoughts would be great. What I have in mind is lower the bike 2",put on a wind shield, change the exhaust,replace the 17' front rim with a 2.15x19" silver Excel rim and a 100/110/90x19 dualsport tire and replace the rear 17x5" with a 3.50x17 silver Excel rim with a 130/140/90x17 dualsport tire,replace the front peak with a black supermoto front fender or a black low front fender---my mounting holes on the bottom of the fork are 30mm apart(no mounting holes on bottom of tripple tree.I will have the stock wheels for sale if I can find some hubs and the 3.5x17 rear rim to lace(allready have front rim).
If anyone has some ideas or parts I would really like to hear from you.
as a fellow senior rider I think your game plan is a really good one.......the 690 is a good platform with a lot of aftermarket support........you may want a larger fuel cell also.....good luck with it!
nsrrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,579
Look up rally raid uk .com

One stop shop for turning a 690 into an adventure bike

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
TheMuffinMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

What he said.

It's expensive but it's a very nice system.

As far as luggage goes I just put Wolfman Luggage side racks with the crossbar on my bike as well as the Wolfman top rack. Both are very solid.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Isn't their kit aimed at 'adventurising' the 690 Enduro? The OP has the SM... not sure that RallyRaid would do that? I know very little about the 690's but just an observation
Suzuki SV1000 - My road monster
KTM 640 LC4E - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,224
Hi, haven't seen to many SM's adventurised but I have adventurised my 09 enduro. link is below if you are interested, might be of some help to you. KTM twins has a lot of stuff for both models:

http://www.ktmtwins.com/
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
The 690SM and 690E or R are very similar with the differences (broadly speaking) being the wheel size and fork clamps at the head and hub. Rally Raid's site actually mentions that most of their kit will fit both bikes.

Being short and there being more used SMs in the UK I looked at this setup too and will be watching the OPs progress avidly.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 675
Touratechusa.com everything for the adventurer large or small
KTM- 2014 500 EXC, 2009 690 Enduro R E BMW- 2012 GTL 1600-sweet, 2011 R1200GS Adventure Honda- 2000 XR650R- 2006 XR650L- Yamaha- 1972 XS750 Tracker, 1971 RC5- BSA- 1945 M20, 1969 BSA 441 Victor . The list goes on but why bore you... 16 and counting. Its an attachment issue.

Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
wsmc831
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomal View Post
The 690SM and 690E or R are very similar with the differences (broadly speaking) being the wheel size and fork clamps at the head and hub. Rally Raid's site actually mentions that most of their kit will fit both bikes.

Being short and there being more used SMs in the UK I looked at this setup too and will be watching the OPs progress avidly.

Good luck!
Actually the 690 SM and Duke are similar, but very different from Enduro/SMC. Different frame, suspension, swingarms, fuel location, wheels, seats, subframe....they share a dash and engine.

The SM isn't nearly as good a platform to try and offroad vs enduro/smc.
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Actually the 690 SM and Duke are similar, but very different from Enduro/SMC. Different frame, suspension, swingarms, fuel location, wheels, seats, subframe....they share a dash and engine.

The SM isn't nearly as good a platform to try and offroad vs enduro/smc.

Why is that? Adventure bikes tend to be more street oriented than a dirt bike. I think the OP has a pretty good plan. The bike will be short, light and have a decent wheelset for fire roading. The suspension should be decent too. Should travel OK with a good seat.

I have a 2012 690R enduro I lowered 1 inch, installed a wind screen, better seat and Wolfman drybag system. It works well enough for my needs and seems excellent for organized dual sport rides. But It's still pretty tall around town.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Why is that? Adventure bikes tend to be more street oriented than a dirt bike. I think the OP has a pretty good plan. The bike will be short, light and have a decent wheelset for fire roading. The suspension should be decent too. Should travel OK with a good seat.

I have a 2012 690R enduro I lowered 1 inch, installed a wind screen, better seat and Wolfman drybag system. It works well enough for my needs and seems excellent for organized dual sport rides. But It's still pretty tall around town.

I would also be concerned about steering geometry. there is nothing quite as unsettling as a twitchy front end in the dirt. Just something to look into.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Not sure about the KTM's exact numbers in your case, but most all bikes that are made in multi-platform like a SM, and ADV and a dirt only model have their geometry tailored for the intended application. A SuperMoto would generally come with a little less offset in either the fork clamps and/or a more rearward axel location on the lower fork leg to get a good "trail" number with a 17" tire. With no other changes, putting a 19" on the front of a SM will increase the Trail a few mm. Moving in this direction would not increase the "twitchyness" of the bike. In general, adding a little Trail reduces the sharpness of the steering and adds a little stability, especially at higher speeds. The right way to go for blasting down a fire-trail at 60 or 70 mph.
Yer on the right track, have fun
mike
mbfj40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfj40 View Post
...With no other changes, putting a 19" on the front of a SM will increase the Trail a few mm. Moving in this direction would not increase the "twitchyness" of the bike. In general, adding a little Trail reduces the sharpness of the steering and adds a little stability, especially at higher speeds. The right way to go for blasting down a fire-trail at 60 or 70 mph.
Yer on the right track, have fun
mike
Yup, the bigger wheel is a good idea and will definitely help. I really only mentioned it as something to look into if there was a radical difference between the two models. Besides, if Triumph can make a respectable desert sled out of a Bonneville then this shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
wsmc831
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

The SM is just my Duke with longer suspension and different exhaust. It carries it's weight high and forward (gas and battery) and is heavier than the smc/enduro models. The seat forces you into one position even with a Corbin, and the tank is pretty wide. The motors feel completely different as well. I was always fighting for rear grip with the Duke, even with 016's. I consider adventure bikes more dirt than pavement though.

You are correct in seat height though, my enduro is the tallest bike I've owned, noticeably taller than my 530...but not something that bothers me.
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
Dirt Jag OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for all the help

Lots of good help and ideas guys---checked out the web sites that were suggested---lots of good stuff---I know it's not the greatest candidate for this project, but it was what I could afford and was for sale. I think most of my riding will be on the road and most of the roads that I will be on here in Pa. are pretty rough. I will try to post pics as this project moves along.
Dirt Jag is offline   Reply With Quote