ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Triam OP
Machinist
 
Triam's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Salt Lake, Utah
Oddometer: 42
Question KL 600 Carb Problem

I bought this bike for just $500, and it was running, but I didn't initially notice some of the problems that it had. I've spent some time on it and it's in good working condition except for the fuel mixture. It pops while engine braking, and it looks like they took out the spark arrestor to get more power. I've checked for vacuum leaks, and there aren't any anymore. I ride between 4,000 and 9,500 feet above sea level. The bike will go anywhere now, but without being sure of the mixture that I'm running I hesitate to take it on long rides for fear that it overheats and strands me somewhere. Does someone with more experience with this bike know an easy way to jet it?
Triam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog
 
Bogfarth's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Northwet
Oddometer: 160
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triam View Post
I bought this bike for just $500, and it was running, but I didn't initially notice some of the problems that it had. I've spent some time on it and it's in good working condition except for the fuel mixture. It pops while engine braking, and it looks like they took out the spark arrestor to get more power. I've checked for vacuum leaks, and there aren't any anymore. I ride between 4,000 and 9,500 feet above sea level. The bike will go anywhere now, but without being sure of the mixture that I'm running I hesitate to take it on long rides for fear that it overheats and strands me somewhere. Does someone with more experience with this bike know an easy way to jet it?
Try adjusting your pilot mixture screw first, see if that fixes it. The little bugger sits behind a brass plug you need to remove. Drill a hole into the plug, running a self-tapping screw in, and yarf the plug out with pliers. Do be careful when drilling: you want a hole in the plug, not the mixture screw behind it. 2 1/4 turns out from lightly seated is a good place to start with the mixture screw. At least, from what these guys say...

http://www.klrforum.com/archive/index.php/t-10716.html
__________________
Christopher Robin was sitting outside his door, putting on his Big Boots.
As soon as he saw the Big Boots, Pooh knew that an Adventure was going to happen
Bogfarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
Oddometer: 5,251
the plug is prolly aluminum... research the "22 cent" mod for KLRs

there is also a deceleration valve that might be leaking... look for a plate (I think left side) about the size of a silver dollar... 3 screws. there is a rubber diaphragm under there, check to see if it is torn

otherwise, popping is mostly an annoyance. the odd bit is that at your altitude I would not expect a lean pop due to the density altitude
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
Triam OP
Machinist
 
Triam's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Salt Lake, Utah
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogfarth View Post
Try adjusting your pilot mixture screw first, see if that fixes it. The little bugger sits behind a brass plug you need to remove. Drill a hole into the plug, running a self-tapping screw in, and yarf the plug out with pliers. Do be careful when drilling: you want a hole in the plug, not the mixture screw behind it. 2 1/4 turns out from lightly seated is a good place to start with the mixture screw. At least, from what these guys say...

http://www.klrforum.com/archive/index.php/t-10716.html
I'm about that far out as it is. Should I go further or should I change my pilot jet? Thanks for the help.
Triam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
Triam OP
Machinist
 
Triam's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Salt Lake, Utah
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
the plug is prolly aluminum... research the "22 cent" mod for KLRs

there is also a deceleration valve that might be leaking... look for a plate (I think left side) about the size of a silver dollar... 3 screws. there is a rubber diaphragm under there, check to see if it is torn

otherwise, popping is mostly an annoyance. the odd bit is that at your altitude I would not expect a lean pop due to the density altitude
I thought about doing the .22 cent mod, but I had heard from some that it was good, and from others that the larger hole in the slide will make the slide overly responsive. I'll try shimming the washer next time I have a chance to work on it.
I'll look for the deceleration valve as well and check the diaphragm.
As for the altitude, I know that it should be running rich since we have less oxygen than sea level, but my muffler appears to be modified to increase flow, and I think that a lean mixture is a result. I'll take a picture next time I'm at work (I work at a machine shop, so that's where I store it.)
Triam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Triam OP
Machinist
 
Triam's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Salt Lake, Utah
Oddometer: 42
Talking Update:

So I did the 22 cent mod. The slide was already drilled out, but that was the only thing that had been done. I also changed the main jet from a 136 to a 140 and took the idle mixture screw out 3 turns. (I didn't get to the decel pump because I was pressed for time.)
I took it out for a ride. Upon leaving work, I go on a road that has a speed limit of 55 MPH. Normally I can't get to that speed very quickly, and I have to pin the throttle until I finally make it, hoping that there's enough space between me and the cars that are coming. I pinned it like I normally do and I nearly fell off. The new jet with the needle .038 higher added a ton of power. This bike is so much more fun to ride. Honestly I had regretted buying this bike after the first real ride I took it on, but it's actually fun to ride now.
When engine braking it pops a bit, but nothing like before. I think I'll still change the idle jet since it pops more in the 25% open throttle than it does with the throttle closed. Maybe I'll take apart the decel pump when I have some time, but the popping is greatly improved.
Thanks for all the help guys. You've done a ton to improve my riding experience.
Triam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: The Golden City of Tucson
Oddometer: 246
Huh. I Should Try This On My 86. I've Had It Up To 75, BUt It'S Running So Rich That My Tail fender Is Quite Black From The Exhaust.

Have You Done The "Doo"? I've Done It Several TiMes Now On The 600'S. LMK If I Can Help There.
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
Triam OP
Machinist
 
Triam's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Salt Lake, Utah
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
Huh. I Should Try This On My 86. I've Had It Up To 75, BUt It'S Running So Rich That My Tail fender Is Quite Black From The Exhaust.

Have You Done The "Doo"? I've Done It Several TiMes Now On The 600'S. LMK If I Can Help There.
I took mine up to 81. It handled it like a champ.
Mine turns the fender black, but I think that it's the valve guide seals. You might want to look at that.
I haven't even looked at the "doo," but I just sold it to finance a GS850. I loved the 600, but I almost never took it offroad, and I found myself wanting to go on long rides, but the KL isn't a good bike for that.
__________________
"Steel can be any shape you want if you are skilled enough, and any shape but the one you want if you are not." -Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Triam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: The Golden City of Tucson
Oddometer: 246
I think I'll get a 16 or 17 tooth front sprocket for longer trips and swap it for the 14 off road.

I'm inclined to think it's not the valve guides or something in the top end, because it only puffs the black under certain throttle conditions.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: The Golden City of Tucson
Oddometer: 246
Sold mine. Great bike, but not for me anymore. Take care.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014