Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
avdeeff OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cool2 Legal Advice. Riding Standing Up. BC.

Not sure if everyone knows, but about a year ago when the new helmet laws were introduced in bc, so was a law that stated that the rider must be seated astride the motorcycle at all times.

Not knowing this I rode through Lytton last September, standing, going in a straight line, 10km/h under the speed limit, riding respectfully. Some asshole cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for it. I sent off my dispute and just today got a notice in the mail that my court date is in July.

So does anyone here have experience with this, or have any advice on how to tackle this?

Many thanks.
avdeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Show up to the court date and be respectfull to the Judge..... standing is a way to reduce fatigue of which you were feeling at the moment the officer saw you...you felt it was a safe way to help reduce the fatigue you felt and were just about to stop for a rest.

I hope others can help with information for you, maybe a cop could chime in here?
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
2whlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Not sure about saying you were fatigued. They may just expect you should have pulled over and had a rest instead of standing. Perhaps just saying you were standing for a short while to stretch out your legs and that you have experience riding standing while off road riding because it gives better control.
Also stating you do not participate in any form of stunt riding.
Don't know if that would work.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
maraisrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
My brother got nailed for doing a wheelie in Victoria 10 years ago. Went to court with as much info as he could find trying to prove he was in control at all times. Case was thrown out!
My point is that you arm yourself with whatever you can find that shows standing on your bike is a type of riding and see what happens.
Good luck
2013 Arctic Cat XF800 (6 months of winter)
maraisrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Check the BC motorcycle manual. The Alberta one states you should lift yourself off the seat when going over bumps (Iam paraphrasing). Seems incongruous for it to be illegal on one hand yet is the correct answer in the test to get a MC license.
Rod
drrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrod1 View Post
Check the BC motorcycle manual. The Alberta one states you should lift yourself off the seat when going over bumps (Iam paraphrasing). Seems incongruous for it to be illegal on one hand yet is the correct answer in the test to get a MC license.
Rod
I was going to mention that too. Same in Ontario. Looking forward to the outcome.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrod1 View Post
Rod
standing up in BC is now illegal in any situation, part of the new laws brought in last year.

can't say if you're going to be able to fight it or not, i would go with the fatigue thing, being respectful is key. another idea is to plead guilty and argue the fine amount. buddy of mine got a ticket on his dirtbike on a fireroad, which he was guilty of not having insurance but got it down to $60 and 6 months to pay.
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
say that you thought you saw a topless lady tanning in her back yard and wanted to confirm the suspition...confirmed. then go into enough detail to get everyone derailed...they will forget why you were even in court. case dismissed.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

"...standing up in BC is now illegal in any situation, part of the new laws brought in last year. ..."

Another example of the "unintended consequences" of a poorly written piece of legislation. Virtually every dirt school teaches you to stand on the pegs to better control a bike on loose surfaces. Maybe you could persuade an instructor from a local school to go with you on your court date to speak to it.

I ride quite a bit in BC but there are getting to be more and more reasons not to. Not that Alberta is that far behind on the draconian enforcement/revenue generation side of things.

A quick scan of the BC Motorcycle manual gave this from Chapter 9. I bolded the pertinent part.

Strategies: going over obstacles
If you have to ride over an obstacle, you’ll need to have
maximum balance and control of your bike:
• Slow down if possible.
• Approach in an upright position and try to strike the
object head-on at a 90-degree angle.
• Grip the handlebars fi rmly.
• Lighten the front end of your bike just before hitting the
obstacle by releasing the brakes and accelerating slightly.
Rise slightly on the footpegs so that you can absorb the
shock with your knees and elbows.

• Pull off the road when you can, and check your tires, rims

Here is a link to the whole manual.
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...full-guide.pdf

So if it illegal, under any circumstances, to rise off the seat, then there is a obvious conflict.

Hopefully you get a judge with more common sense than the LEO that wrote you up.

Rod
Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,224
Was there a reason for standing... like big potholes or something? If you were standing to exercise better control due to adverse road conditions, then you might have a good argument. Might be tough to justify standing on the pegs while riding billiard-table smooth pavement.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

"....illegal in any situation..."

I am not a lawyer but common sense tells me this is where it comes apart.

Rod
Old 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Ridemuch
SUP

Oddometer: 2,257
I've used this a few times. Chapter 11B of the charter of rights. The right to a speedy trial.(under 8 months) or they must throw it out.
You're going to need a lawyer for this.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I got pulled over for this last year....I managed to talk my way out of it saying I was just trying to air the boys out from a long day in the saddle....yep...he bought it! I was very sorry etc and said I never normally do this as I know it's concidered stunting but I was so uncomfortable that I just did it without thinking. Sorry officer.
The fine in Ontario is stunting....which is almost so bad it's time to move to another province! The ins. points issue is the problem not the money IMHO.

You could always say there was a branch in the road and from your off road riding you know that standing lowers the centre of gravity and wieght distrubution so it was just a natural thing to do to not come off. Then ask the cop if he saw the branch or took a pic of it? It's now his word against yours? If you are polite and create some doubt, you just might get off....no pun intended. You could say if you had of had your cell on you you would have taken the pic yourself and but seeing as you didn't you hoped the cop did it for you.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 195
Although I disagree with the law I doubt it's a reason to avoid BC unless your looking for an excuse. I have back issues and ride standing probably way more than most riders. I have never had an issue in BC or anywhere......perhaps one day I will.....but I will try to fight if I do here.
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 362
I'd go with "I had a cramp in my leg" or some such. At least that's how I plan to plead when I get pinched - and it will happen because I stand up often, usually without even thinking about it.