Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
Reference Number 1: Order 2908 KTM 950/990 LOW SUEDE AL
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #17
GLRRA47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
It looks very similar to the Renzaco, I just received. (Shape and seams, anyway) Only 10 miles on it so far.
GLRRA47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,925
Does anyone have close up pics of the tall?

With my recent purchase of a lightly used 950AS, I got two seats in the deal. One is a custom, 2-up touring seat.....like a Russell Day Long and the wife and I love it.....big mileage gobbler. The other is a Seargent.....and I am not keen on it. Thought I might ditch the cover and foam and move to one of these. I want a seat that is more fit for dirt, off-road riding.

Also.....I continue to wonder why anyone purchases a suede seat, especially if one gets caught out in the SW monsoons as often as we do in July and August. They look really cool, but what about their performance in wet weather?
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Tall Seat Concepts

This is a picture of the tall. It's not really that much taller to me than the standard seat. And actually I think it's quite a bit harder than the standard. I used to get 2-3 hours into a ride before the pain would start, now I only get about 1.5 hours. I like the gripper sides, the (little) extra leg room I get and my wife loves the platform at the back, but comfort wise I liked the original seat better.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post

This is a picture of the tall. It's not really that much taller to me than the standard seat. And actually I think it's quite a bit harder than the standard. I used to get 2-3 hours into a ride before the pain would start, now I only get about 1.5 hours. I like the gripper sides, the (little) extra leg room I get and my wife loves the platform at the back, but comfort wise I liked the original seat better.

give it 1000 miles to break in. The 'tall' does not refer to vs stock height, but rather vs the stock low (Dakar) seat.
The seat gives you a few options to move around when riding solo, and did me right to Colorado and back for 2400 miles of hiway droning.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
give it 1000 miles to break in. The 'tall' does not refer to vs stock height, but rather vs the stock low (Dakar) seat.
The seat gives you a few options to move around when riding solo, and did me right to Colorado and back for 2400 miles of hiway droning.
Yep, their website says its 1.5" taller than the KTM flat seat, my intent was just to get a bit more legroom without having to lower the pegs, and I'm happy with that aspect of the seat.

I have already put about 2,300 +/- miles on the seat since I bought it, so I think it's as broken in as it's going to get. Also, I'm not saying the seat is bad...far from it actually, BUT it is harder than the stock seat, at least to me.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
ah I see.
A lot of after market seats are more firm, but the shape makes all the difference. I've found the front scoop to be a little softer, while the wide rear is very firm.

The only complaint I have is that when standing on the pegs, there seems to be excess foam at the very bottom of the seat that rubs the inside of my knees. I may have to pull the cover off and shave that out as it gets to be uncomfortable when moving around off road.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:00 AM   #23
ericGSsti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
just ordered one yesterday. I ditched a Renazco immediately after buying the bike. Horrible seat. Got a Dakar seat which is pretty darn comfy. But I also acquired a stock flat seat so that one will get the SC foam. Looking forward to my first rides with the SC seat
I put a renazco on my S model yesterday and after a 375 km run I'm loving it. Love the finish, hight wise it's spot on and very comfortable.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #24
dirtbikebagger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Bored on a snowy day looking at my bike in the living room...

7k or so miles later and I still like the seat. I must not have gotten it installed perfectly because the "taint ripples" never went away, but I cant tell when Im riding it.
Its still really comfortable and was money well spent. Hind sight: I would have sent it in and had Seat Concepts install it, an air stapler is necessary. Manual and electric arent even worth trying in my opinion.

dirtbikebagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #25
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Hey BigNastybrp, now that you've had some time on it how do you like it?
How is the suede in the sun, does the seat get cooking or does it stay fairly cool? Feel like the low is good support on a long ride?

Thinking about getting the 2-up low or the same exact seat you have.
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #26
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
I have a seat concepts seat as well, with the vinyl cover. It's pretty decent, but I do think it is pretty hard. I'm only good for about 1.5-2 hours of comfort unless I do a lot of standing.

Those of you with the suede covers, how do those hold up? I feel like they would be really absorbent in rain and would suck up mud and dust pretty badly...
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #27
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 758
Could someone with a tall Seat Concepts seat do me a favour?

I would like to know what height the seat is at it`s lowest point (Where rider sits) when the bike is on the center stand. Non R model.
I asume all standard bikes have same center stand.

The Renazco I had was 973 mm to that point.
The stock 06 seat is 945 mm.
The stock 950 seat is 943 mm.

I sold the Renazco, got a custom one but think it may be a little to short now

Cheers.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #28
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Have Seat concepts on 950 SM. Much better shape than stock and is firm. At about $160. it seems to be about half price of competition.