Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #31
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
So what if some one can't hang any longer ? They just get ditch and sent back home ?...

Lol

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #32
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,542
as always.... you ride your own ride
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
They made bikes AFTER 1982?! Why didn't anyone tell me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInconsistent View Post
Awesome! Yes, the speed limit with frequent short breaks has to be the ideal approach. No rest stop in Fairbanks for me this time.

Did you find another brand new "used" motorcycle to break in? What do you think you will be riding this time?
Nope, still have the same pair of 1982 vintage bikes - unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse on something more modern

Knock on wood both are up and running reliably after some minor maintenance over the winter. Might take the Virago this time though, it has a little more umph and with a swap to a Seca rear wheel, the RPMs and vibrations at speed are lower than the GL500.

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #34
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
So what if some one can't hang any longer ? They just get ditch and sent back home ?...

Lol
No, of the four of us I think only justinconsistent and ADVBMR actually rode within sight of each other. Kurt and I were on our own, but would see them from time to time at rest/gas stops - in my case kinda tortoise and hare style. I'm a relative riding noob atop a loose formation of 30 year old bike parts so I try not to flog them too much.

Anyway, we each had everyone else's cell numbers and were on the same route - so help was probably never more than about 30 minutes away if something went pear shaped on us.

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225

simestd screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 09:23 AM
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #35
JustInconsistent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:

Lol
If something happens it really depends on the situation. If I were to get a flat, for example, I wouldn't want anyone slowing down for me. I'll have the trailer ready to go in Anchorage if something comes up, maybe even with a driver standing by.

I agree with Beezer, riding your own ride is the way to go. If your pace happens to match someone else's, that's cool. It's more important to be safe and enjoy the ride than to keep sight of each other or finish at the same time.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #36
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,542
yep.... keep on movin'... see ya 'round when ya bend over. (miss ya Harry)
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #37
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,880
Quote:
So has any from here done any of the Iron butt rides?

i would love to attempt the SaddleScore 1000 this summer.

1k miles in 24 hours.

i have chosen the "loop of Alaska".

i record footage with witness at gas stop..etc, take photos, and keep records of the miles and time.

well see how this go.
Your route is a little longer than necessary but, depending on weather, might actually be best. From Valdez, you can go straight north up the Richardson Hwy through Isabel Pass and still get over 1000 miles. But Isabel Pass can have snow nearly any month of the year, just like Atigun Pass, so it's best to watch weather forecasts for Delta Jct and Paxson a few days before you do the ride.

For witnesses, you only need a single start witness and a single finish witness. The witness is only attesting to your odometer reading, and if you intend to leave really early in the morning, they can even check it the night before. Just don't ride 50 miles or so to your starting point the next morning. But 4 or 5 is no problem.

You have to get a time/date stamped receipt for your official starting time. It's a good idea to select your starting point (a gas station is usually the best), then make a purchase there a day or so before to make sure their receipts have all the necessary information printed clearly. Same thing with your finish time - it will require a printed receipt (or a time & date slip from an ATM - if you're just checking your balance, for instance). You also need a receipt from your "corner" points. For instance, with the route you've laid out it would be Valdez, Tok, and Fairbanks. Oops! Didn't notice you had yourself going out to Chena Hot Springs, too. A receipt there would be necessary instead of Fairbanks, but you would probably need to get another one down around Healy or Cantwell, too. Don't know why you would go out to Chena Hot Springs. Not a good plan for your first SS1K That said, it is up to you to prove that you have ridden the full route and not taken any shortcuts. Your receipts will accomplish that.

Be sure to make out a trip log, as the IBA rules describe. I'll usually make up a rough one as I travel, then transcribe the info onto a proper form at home. At the recommendation of one of the most accomplished Iron Butt riders in the world, I have made up my own forms that refer to the start and finish witnesses as "Verifiers" rather than "witnesses" as some police departments will not allow their officers to sign as "witnesses". For the basic rides, i.e. the Saddle Sore and Bun Burner 1500, anyone can witness. Once you get into the extreme rides then you need three witnesses unless they are police officers, firemen, motorcycle dealer employees, or IBA official witnesses (of which I am one here in Alaska).

Once you have finished a Saddle Sore 1000 (SS1K) or two, you might consider attempting the Alaska Gold 1000 (Homer to Prudhoe Bay or vice versa in 24 hours) or the Haul Road 1000 (North Pole to Prudhoe Bay and back to North Pole in 24 hours). Inmate Hobo and I did the latter together a few years ago to inaugurate that ride, but several other riders managed it a few years earlier, during the '01 Iron Butt Rally. Dick Fish told me he rode from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and back in 18 hours during that rally, and Shane Smith (who finished 2nd overall) had to have done it too. Then George Barnes and Bob Hall both had to have accomplished it a few days later, with Hall winning 1 million bonus point with his ride (George DNF'd) and coming in first overall in the rally.
Haul Road Primer

Alcan Rider screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 01:15 AM
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #38
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by simestd View Post
Nope, still have the same pair of 1982 vintage bikes - unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse on something more modern

Knock on wood both are up and running reliably after some minor maintenance over the winter. Might take the Virago this time though, it has a little more umph and with a swap to a Seca rear wheel, the RPMs and vibrations at speed are lower than the GL500.
'82 was a might good year!

My '82 Suzuki did 4 round trips to Deadhorse (the first starting in Key West) and was the bike I was riding when Hobo and I did the first Haul Road 1000. It would probably still be good for another one. You'll never wear out that GL500.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #39
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by simestd View Post
No, of the four of us I think only justinconsistent and ADVBMR actually rode within sight of each other. Kurt and I were on our own, but would see them from time to time at rest/gas stops - in my case kinda tortoise and hare style. I'm a relative riding noob atop a loose formation of 30 year old bike parts so I try not to flog them too much.
It was after I'd done at least a dozen 1K days that I finally got my act together and sent in the required paperwork. A friend, who had an '03 Wing identical to mine except for the color, rode into Glennallen one afternoon and said "Let's do a Saddle Sore 1000". So I knocked off work a little early, gassed up, and off we went, north to Fairbanks. South to Anchorage, where we started feeling the effects of riding all night after a day of working, and took a brief nap (man!! was it hard to get going again) then on down to Homer. Coming back north from Homer to finish in Anchorage, he wanted to hurry. No! I said. This is when we are most likely to do something stupid and crash. We'll just take our time and as long as we finish within the 24 hours we're fine... and safe.

I think our time was something like 22:30, but we arrived safe and sound. No need to hurry, really. Much better to be safe, even if it means not quite meeting the deadline. There'll be another day.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #40
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Laugh

Very great info Alcan !!

I'll probably will skip Chena hot springs. And just past by Fairbanks instead and back into the parks highway. Looks like a fun run.

I was planning leaving at 4 or 5 am and be done by 10...11pm ?

Trying to avoiding any night riding.... U know.. Crazy moose

Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #41
THogland
Back in Alaska!

Oddometer: 52
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInconsistent View Post
That's a great route to use, but you don't need to go up to Chena Hot Springs Rd to make the 1000 miles. Here's the schedule we used a few years ago, it came out eerily accurate. I think we agreed the only thing we would do different is skip the rest stop in Fairbanks.

(snip)

Alaska Leather was a good start and finish point for us because Doug and Emmitt donated some time to witness for the group.

Anyway, up for some company on your ride? I could use a cool IBA plate holder on my 250. . . . and I never turned in my paperwork from the first Iron Butt.
Dammit - why did I find this thread. This might be my 4th of July project :-)

Hmmm... Looks like my starting from Palmer means I can't go Glennallen -> Delta - have to put Tok in there instead. Palmer -> Valdez -> Tok -> Fairbanks -> Palmer is about 1040 miles... Wonder if the AST dispatcher will be a witness? :-)

My only concern is, can you get 24-hour fuel everyplace? The big question is the Parks Hwy, but it looks like Healy and Talkeetna Spur would fit the plan. My range is ideally 150 miles, but a couple small gas cans in the bags push that over 200. Of course, running that route backwards means you run the Parks during the day, and I *believe* there's 24-hr cardlocks everyplace else on the route.

This could be fun :-)
THogland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #42
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Very great info Alcan !!

I'll probably will skip Chena hot springs. And just past by Fairbanks instead and back into the parks highway. Looks like a fun run.

I was planning leaving at 4 or 5 am and be done by 10...11pm ?

Trying to avoiding any night riding.... U know.. Crazy moose
Night riding? In May? When it doesn't get dark?

Something to consider: Leaving at an early hour and doing your route counter-clockwise you will be riding into the sun both in the morning as you head east on the Glenn Hwy, and again in the afternoon as you leave Fairbanks and ride southwest on the Parks Hwy. You might be better off to ride clockwise, hitting Fairbanks first, then finishing by riding west on the Glenn Hwy where the Talkeetna Mts will shield you from the lowering sun in the evening. Much easier to avoid errant wildlife when you have the sun in your favor.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #43
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Ahhh !! Duhhhhh!!i should have known that! Of course it doesn't get dark. Haha

I like your your plan Alcan. I'll head up fairbanks first and save the good fun Richardson highway and the old Glenn twisty for the end.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #44
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THogland View Post
Dammit - why did I find this thread. This might be my 4th of July project :-)

Hmmm... Looks like my starting from Palmer means I can't go Glennallen -> Delta - have to put Tok in there instead. Palmer -> Valdez -> Tok -> Fairbanks -> Palmer is about 1040 miles... Wonder if the AST dispatcher will be a witness? :-)

My only concern is, can you get 24-hour fuel everyplace? The big question is the Parks Hwy, but it looks like Healy and Talkeetna Spur would fit the plan. My range is ideally 150 miles, but a couple small gas cans in the bags push that over 200. Of course, running that route backwards means you run the Parks during the day, and I *believe* there's 24-hr cardlocks everyplace else on the route.

I sure you'll be fine with gas. Most are self serve too, using card.
I would bring an extra gallon or two for longer runs .

Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #45
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by THogland View Post

Palmer > Trapper Creek > Healy > Fairbanks > Delta Jct > Tok > Glennallen > Valdez > Glennallen > Palmer All good gas stops, about the right distance apart. The only two places where you would be stretching it are Tok to Glennallen (137 miles) and Glennallen to Palmer (143 miles) One reason not to be in a big hurry and use gas faster than usual.

In Valdez you get gas at CJ's Tesoro at Airport Rd to save the ride into the city. Last time I fueled up there it was still typical cardlock, i.e. you had to insert your card a second time to get a receipt, but the receipt gave good information.
Haul Road Primer