Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #46
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
The Hual road &. Alaska 1000 sounds like a nice run too.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #47
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Palmer > Trapper Creek > Healy > Fairbanks > Delta Jct > Tok > Glennallen > Valdez > Glennallen > Palmer All good gas stops, about the right distance apart. The only two places where you would be stretching it are Tok to Glennallen (137 miles) and Glennallen to Palmer (143 miles) One reason not to be in a big hurry and use gas faster than usual.

In Valdez you get gas at CJ's Tesoro at Airport Rd to save the ride into the city. Last time I fueled up there it was still typical cardlock, i.e. you had to insert your card a second time to get a receipt, but the receipt gave good information.
and if a person were starting in Fairbanks? I assume same route.
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #48
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Something to consider: You might be better off to ride clockwise, hitting Fairbanks first, then finishing by riding west on the Glenn Hwy where the Talkeetna Mts will shield you from the lowering sun in the evening. Much easier to avoid errant wildlife when you have the sun in your favor.
Alcan, thank you for the sage advice and encouragement when we met in Glennallen the last time I did this. You're right, '82 was a good year and since both these bikes were non-runners when I got them, I've become familiar with them mechanically. The GL500 is a very easy and forgiving bike to ride...

From 2011 Iditabutt

I like the idea of riding the loop clockwise; great point about riding into the sun and it would be different from the way we did it last time. Also, less wildlife to worry about in the wee hours over Thompson pass than coming down out of Fairbanks.

For those loosely trying to do this as a group, have you (we) reached a consensus on the date(s)? I'd selfishly like to nix May 18-19 due to the GNT and would humbly suggest that a couple sequential weekends be earmarked in case of miserable riding weather. Skipping Mother's day and Memorial day, the next sequential open weekend dates are 5/25-26 or 6/1-2.

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225

simestd screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 07:48 AM
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #49
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

My days off aren't settle. So I may be doing it alone . I'll post the days when it comes.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #50
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarmoose View Post
and if a person were starting in Fairbanks? I assume same route.
Yep. That route works regardless of where a person starts on the circle, as long as they complete the entire route, finishing at their starting point.

For someone starting and finishing in Anchorage, the route through Isabel Pass on the Richardson provides sufficient mileage. For a rider beginning anywhere else along the circle, the longer route through Tok is necessary.

There is also a way to avoid Valdez that I did back in 2000. That is to start and finish in Anchorage, with a side run to the border at Alcan, getting the customs agents to provide a time/date stamp for the turn-around. Inmate Warp7 and I did that one, and we went on down to the Welcome To Alaska sign to get a photo as well, but that meant having to clear customs before continuing the ride.

That time I left Glennallen at 3:15 AM, met Will at a gas station on Muldoon a little after 6:00 AM, then we rode to Fairbanks, down to Alcan, and back to Glennallen, with Will finishing his 1000 miles back in Anchorage. That was near the end of August, with hot days, and getting pretty chilly after the sun went down.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #51
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by simestd View Post
I had a blast last time with ADVBMR, akkurt and jusinconsistent! Like Justin, I never submitted the paperwork - I've still got it all in a ziplock with my shop manuals... All I can say is "badges?!, I don't need no steenkin' badges!!"
You could still turn that one in. People have turned in paperwork 3 or 4 years after completing a ride and got the ride approved.

I still have the paperwork from my first (and only) 1500 mile day. That was when an Iron Butt'er from Calgary and I rode from the Pacific Ocean at San Diego to the Atlantic at Tybee Island, Georgia in 45 hours flat in '06. Maybe I'll turn that all in some day. Or maybe not.

No one has ever done a 1500 mile day here in Alaska, and I would still like to pull that off before I get too old. But it would take a lot of coordination with witnesses to satisfy IBA requirements. The only place it could be done, and follow IBA rules due to speed limits, is back and forth on the Parks Hwy. Fairbanks to Willow and back twice, then down to Willow and back to Cantwell to finish with a safety margin over the 1500 miles.

Anybody wanna ride along on that one? s
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #52
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Can that be done with the circle we been taking about...with starting in anch & ending down in homer to finish that 1500 ?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #53
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
Can that be done with the circle we been taking about...with starting in anch & ending down in homer to finish that 1500 ?
Not in 24 hours, it can't. At least, not within IBA rules. And you wouldn't catch me trying to average 62.5 mph going down Turnagain Arm.

No, the IBA will not certify a ride unless it can be completed - under ideal conditions - without exceeding the speed limit on whatever roads it is done on. Even on interstates, with speed limits of 70+ mph, we were running 75 to 80 to maintain an average of 65 mph. You'll be amazed at how much time you lose just in stopping to fuel up and take a quick visit to the restroom. In a 1K day it doesn't have that much effect. But when you try to cram another 500 miles on top of that, it makes a big difference. You never want to put yourself in the position of having to hurry to make up lost time. That's when you take chances and are more likely to make mistakes - possibly fatal ones.
Haul Road Primer
Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #54
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Is any still game up for this , this month ..?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #55
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Maybe you better wait until spring finally gets here. You know - sometime in July.
Haul Road Primer
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #56
Steve907AK
Obsessed

Oddometer: 50
Eh? Just read this thread, sounds like fun..

Quote:
Ok, I'm new to this type of riding. The longest trip I've made was last September; Wasilla, Cantwell, Paxon, Glennallen, Palmer, Wasilla: left at 11:30 (I think) AM, got back at 10:30 PM. Stopped in Cantwell for about 45 minutes, some lodge long he Denali Highway 40 miles from Paxon for about an hour I'm guessing and a quick 10-15 min stop in Glennallen for gas. Total milage I remember was 530 miles. But I wasn't trying to do anything but not get a speeding ticket and to try to get back before dark. (Moose). I didn't log anything so I'm kinda guessing roughly on times, but I do remember taking a mental note of the milage. I didn't get a ticket but had about 1.5 hours or so of dark if I recall correctly.

I'm totally up for this Nu, is it??

When are you thinking of doing this??
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #57
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 936
Im in! Been wanting to do one for a few years now. July would work well since we would have lots do daylight...
AKmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #58
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Yeah, lets just wait till July, more daylight and , well know that the road won't get coat up with snow.

:)

Meet a rider the other few weeks, he had an IBA pin. So I asked him , and he has also done it. He also recommended checking construction road status, because either on his way to Valdez or back , he got held up by 45 minutes at a construction stop.

Something we deffineitly would not want to deal with.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #59
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I shouldn't have seen this thread , it got me too thinking a bit. I am located in Kenai and it appears to be 504 miles to Fairbanks by way of the Parks Highway which would give me 1008 up and back, would this be cutting it to close ? I could make a side trip into Seward at Tern Lake which would add about 60 miles as a mileage cushion, is this one of those times safe is better than sorry ?
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #60
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Laugh

Do it Rabon !!

Haha.

I prolly won't attempt this IBA run until July maybe.

But for you, yes maybe a stop end in Seward would be fine.