User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
oz97tj OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Am I the first to break a GS WC?

Getting ready to leave for work this evening, I backed the bike out of the garage and started it up. Upon startup, for about 2 seconds, the bike made a horrible rattling noise and then stopped and sounded perfectly normal. In a confused WTF state, I let it idle a bit longer and it continued sounding perfect. I shrugged thinking it was a fluke and reluctantly pulled out of the driveway and off to work. At the end of the subdivision, about 1/2 mile from my house, curiosity got the best of me. I figured I'd shut the bike off and restart it. Upon hitting the starter button, the starter just free wheeled.

I'm thinking something in the starter let go. The bike has about 220 miles on it. In the end, I turned around and pushed the damn thing back to my house (it was already 10pm and I had to be at work and waiting for road side service would have taken much longer). Tomorrow morning, I'll call to have the bike towed to the dealer.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
mtwillyman
Lost and Cornfuzed

Oddometer: 618
Wow!

Well at least you didn't get stranded. I'm sure the shop will repair it and you'll be riding soon. Goog luck.
mtwillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,003
Sorry to hear this, let us know what the dealer finds.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
What a buzzkill on a brand new bike. Hopefully nothing major, but unfortunately I think you'll be in for a wait for parts.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
oz97tj OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
What a buzzkill on a brand new bike. Hopefully nothing major, but unfortunately I think you'll be in for a wait for parts.
This is what im concerned about too. I cant imagine there is a stockpile of parts around yet. Lets hope we are wrong.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Getting ready to leave for work this evening, I backed the bike out of the garage and started it up. Upon startup, for about 2 seconds, the bike made a horrible rattling noise and then stopped and sounded perfectly normal. In a confused WTF state, I let it idle a bit longer and it continued sounding perfect. I shrugged thinking it was a fluke and reluctantly pulled out of the driveway and off to work. At the end of the subdivision, about 1/2 mile from my house, curiosity got the best of me. I figured I'd shut the bike off and restart it. Upon hitting the starter button, the starter just free wheeled.

I'm thinking something in the starter let go. The bike has about 220 miles on it. In the end, I turned around and pushed the damn thing back to my house (it was already 10pm and I had to be at work and waiting for road side service would have taken much longer). Tomorrow morning, I'll call to have the bike towed to the dealer.
That sounds like your starter Bendix (a sprague clutch) is defective. The dealer will likely replace the starter with new.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
That sounds like your starter Bendix (a sprague clutch) is defective. The dealer will likely replace the starter with new.
I'm going to guess that it doesn't use a bendix style starter since it has a wet clutch. It appears to have the same type of starter as the water cooled K series. The starter is geared to a one way clutch and it all runs in oil. Perhaps the starter drive did come apart, though. It's all internal to the engine most likely.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
If the starter is similar to the one on the K16, check out this thread on the K16 board where they have had a few failures and one poster provides a temporary solution to starting the bike....rock it back and forth a little bit in gear.

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...000-miles.html
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Ask for a loaner bike..
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip22 View Post
Ask for a refund..

Fixed.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,428
Please keep us well updated, this is super important.

It'll be interesting to see why this happened on a brand new bike.

Also how difficult (or not) it is to get at the starter.

Stuff happens, but one would assume you could just jump on this bike and ride to Mongolia, that's how it's sold.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 11:19 AM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
oz97tj OP
Studly Adventurer

Looking at it further today while loading it on the flatbed, I did notice it has an external starter so it may have the sprag set up. It looks easy enough to pull thw starter off but with only 200 miles ill let the dealer mess with it. They will contact me when they know something.

As for the rocking back and forth, I tried that. It will not engage the engine no mater what I did.

Regarding a loaner, I just got home with this...

I just traded in an oiler for a waterhead and im back on an oil cooled anyway. Lol
Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
simoneau
Biker/Adventurer/Retiree

Oddometer: 188
http://rllemke.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...90104995-L.jpg Per this image, starter gear engages four more gears to rotate sprag clutch on crankshaft next to alternator. Any one of these gears could have lost a tooth to cause this condition. In any case engine has to be removed and possibly disassembled in part to fix the problem.
simoneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneau View Post
http://rllemke.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...90104995-L.jpg Per this image, starter gear engages four more gears to rotate sprag clutch on crankshaft next to alternator. Any one of these gears could have lost a tooth to cause this condition. In any case engine has to be removed and possibly disassembled in part to fix the problem.

Are you saying the engine has to be disassembled to remove starter, or only if the sprag clutch is broken... please elaborate? Are you a tech?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,663
He is saying that if there is a choice between simple and complicated engineering, BMW will chose complicated every time.