User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #166
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
so the next logical step

After waiting a while we we're running out of daylight, we set off again. I look in my sidview mirror and the guys disappeared. Now what????? Well Richard went for the throttle and said it was still sputtering. arghhhh..

Now I was starting to worry. After once again talking to Mechanics, he said it was just coughing a bit and would straighten up soon enough. Not exactly inspiring.

So the next logical place was here:

mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #167
bullgatorfl
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Matthew I sure hope your not going to end your thread now? I for one enjoyed your clip! I'm looking for the rest of your report!! Kenn
bullgatorfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #168
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
OK---I've caught up to the thread now---

But wondering Matthew----are you going to publish any pictures of those "Show Girls" that we saw on that sign way back there near the start? Oh---what's that you say? You didn't actually go there but just happened to take a picture near the sign? OK---- on with it then.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #169
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

next

so with One bike behaving erratically, the best I could figure is let's run the passes from the west. Yes, we'll have to back track 13 miles but if something isn't working we'll have an exit strategy. If we went the normal route east to west from lake city , we'd have to back track a lot and might have jetting issues between passes Then what would we do. So we spent the night in Ouray and then got up really early to have a go at it. It was COLD. As we headed up towards Corkscrew Pass, it quickly turned into a vastly different world than anything we had ridden yet. Very Steep. Very COLD. Rougher trail, Looser Gravel.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #170
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Eek uhh ohh

So, when we started up this section gravity kept picking on us. I'd come to a switchback, slow down turn then accelerate, loose traction, fall over. Repeat. And it was happening to most of us. We had already let a bunch of air out of our tires for traction, but it's just so steep. Even when you are stopped with your feet down you still are likely to slide down hill. Then there the matter of picking up a fully loaded bike when you are out of breath at 12,000 feet. Travis, on the lightest bike and being the lightest rider was able to get up ahead to the next highest switchback. Richard helped me lift my bike on my second fall over and I finally made it up the switchback I was struggling with. I had a hard time but eventually made it yup to where Travis was. Then Richard on his KLR started tractoring up to us.......and down.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 08:04 AM
Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #171
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

pow wow

We discussed what to do next because it didn't seem like we were going to make it up much more. Or maybe we, on the little bikes could, but we can't just ditch our buddy Richard. Then Travis reminded us about the old rock climbing adage "Never climb up anything you can't get down" I hadn't even thought about that part and it was clear that wasn't going to be easy. Maybe later in the season some of this scree gets knocked to the sides.Unfortunately, regrettably, it seems like the mountain was rejecting us. Not fun

Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #172
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

descent

As we headed back down the Jeeps started heading up. I don't know if there's an official etiquette thing but I would assume the smaller, 2 wheeled vehicle heading downhill on very loose gravel would have the right away. Mr. Clueless in Jeep just headed right on up causing Travis to dismount.

Then this guy from Portugal with his BMW1200 Gravel Goldwing starts trying to head up. We told him at least six times that he wasn't going to be able to get up where we had been. We heard days later from some other riders that he didn't ever get up but he kept thinking the laws of gravity would make an exception just this once.Persistent feller. Lucky he had 4 friends following him n a jeep:

Coming down the rest of the way was really just trying to control an uncontrolled skid. The only place that had traction was right near the edge, but that was a bit freaky. eventually we made it back down.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 04:45 AM
Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #173
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 822
IIRC the rule is the vehicle traveling up the hill has the right of way. Reason being harder to get started going up hill, lose traction. Of course like maritime rules the manueverability rule and the rule of gross tunnage often take over.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #174
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

cont'd

Keep on keeping on i guess.Westward ho, to ophir pass!

Old 07-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #175
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

more

Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #176
SturgisChick
Born and Raised

Oddometer: 99
Beautiful photos

Loving the pics and ride report! Thanks for sharing.
SturgisChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #177
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Coming up

Once we made it to Moab and after Corkscrew pass rejected us we felt pretty run down from the cumulative effect of the trip, plus we need to get some bike work done. So rest was in order. We went to Moab Powersports to get oil changes, a tire here and there and do some post office pick up and send home stuff. We did get to squeeze in a little runn up to Arches N.P.

Moab Powersports had great service. And was chin to the floor expensive. Ask them prices before they do the work and make sure they don't do extra work you didn't ask for. In total, it cost the three of us about a grand. I shit you not. On the other hand she did give us a 4 wheel drive buggy thing to drive around for free.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 01:24 PM
Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #178
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
is there anybody left out there?

Well, I'm still here. Enjoying the pictures and chuckling at times as you ride that high Colorado passes on bikes that seem to like to take naps every so often. You skipped out on answering that question about 'show girls" so I take that to mean that you can't answer, or show pictures, for fear that the wives will not understand that part of dirt bike trail riding. Heh Heh!
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #179
bullgatorfl
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'm still here!!
bullgatorfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #180
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451

Still here. Good stuff!