Absolutely LOVE this pic.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #227
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
Question finding peace of mind

Not sure if I found it for even a moment of peace in Nevada. I was torn. Common sense says stay on highways if roll charts and gps hadn't been working lately. I don't know if others had problems, but since Sam Emailed me different GPS info since then leads me to believe there's some hiccups. Common sense also said "why would anybody go across hundreds of miles of desert in the heat SUMMER?? "
But another voice said" Well you came here for adventure. Are you going to deal with this stuff or not?"

I had done so many things on this trip that were out of my comfort zone, but was I doing enough? I still was worrying so much. I never really through caution to the wind. Here, 2 months later I think I made the right choice because of something that happens later in this story, but I will reveal why later....

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 05:17 PM
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #228
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

ORegon. By far the best riding of our trip.

I actually love the light in the desert. When temperatures are inhabitable, I like seeing the curve of the land and it always peaks my curiosity. I was, and I think we all ready to be done with Nevada. Oregon was about to give us many things we had been missing....

Last glimpse of Nevada:
Old 08-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #229
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 824
Hang in there; almost done.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #230
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Ahhhh!

Oregon felt great! I started feeling like myself again. The GPS, roll charts and maps were all matching again which was a huge relief!!!!!Trees, grass, I was again surprised how these simple things could make me so grateful.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 10:10 PM
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #231
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

finally gas in Adel

We stopped for our first gas in a long time in the little town of Adel. As with most places we went out west there was an abundance of taxidermy. It had gotten chilly so I ordered a hot cocoa as we absorbed the locals talking. An African American guy was very friendly, he was traveling back home to Milwaukee. He was very amusing and wasn't familiar with the species of taxidermy, that to me seemed common knowledge. He had us in stitches, very funny man. After here, we headed up a canyon to Lakeview, yummy omelet at a diner and .... Finally, officially, back on the TAT!!!

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 10:12 PM
Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #232
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

How to make a Happy Camper:

The TAT brought us across some farmland, but then soon enough we were headed up into some lush mountains. Nice gravel most of the time, but then occasionally some single track. One area the trail had us go right into a fence line on a little cliff, but son enough it made sense again. Saw two bald eagles and strangely lots of Antelope in the forests. I thought they only hung out in grassy country but, I guess they like the woods too. After a few more hours, we decided to look for a camp. Travis had purchased a little kid's fishing rod and wanted to try it out. I saw some camping spots on the map just south of Silverlake and we rode ride into the perfect camping spot called HAPPY CAMP!!!

It was hard to believe that we had started 3 weeks back at the Atlantic Ocean and we had made it to our last state!! Our bikes we running great and I had a real sense of peacefulness.
The campsite had everything. I felt very thankful for the following things: It was next to a babbling creek, perfect for sleeping. The temperature was in the low 70s. It had a shelter in case you needed it from rain or sun. There was dry firewood cut and stacked neatly. There was and actual bathroom nearby. It had to picnic tables.. It was breezy, but not too much. There was a tree with a placard next to it. It said in memory of some woman and asked that people use the provided water bucket to water the dedication tree. It was obvious the family and friends of this person came here and kept it maintained.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 10:17 PM
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #233
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Cool2 Still more coming

Coming up..... when GPs and Roll charts aren't working at least you have a map.... unless the maps fly to of your tank bag

Also, one of our riders goes missing... has a pretty fast crash

Landslides, bears oh my...

First I have to up load more pics.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #234
Tompound
M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer: 371
Great RR
I thought OR. Was going tobe a nice ride through the woods, man was I wrong,
OR. Was a GPS nightmare for me. I got lost, saw bears, a big cat, and pulled into Port Orford after dark and on reserve.
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #235
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

thanks Tompound

Yes, the mapping becomes very challenging in Oregon. The Loggers just make roads wherever they want. Sam Correro could have down a perfect job and the loggers will change the roads. I sort of used a blend of Map. GPS and Roll Charts. The first day and a half were easy but then there are some WTF moments. When I looked at a Satellite photo near Gilchrist it looked like a spider web of roads. Keep in mind those of you who aren't familiar, from the ground those little green shrubs are tall trees, so it is very confusing at ground level.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 07:20 AM
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #236
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

bbbrrrrr

We weren't at too much elevation but man it was cccold. We would stop ever 20 minutes or so because our hands wold be frozen. So, you just hug your bike for warmth.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #237
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Wait, what time o' the year was this?!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #238
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

season

this was June . 2nd week. Only in first few hours of morning though. It was hot in afternoons.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #239
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
pics and memories

Hey Matthew/guys.
We did the trip in 2006, myself and Rick, Motor 1.
The pics are great and bringing back lots of memories, so thanks.
One thing you're maybe not prepared for when you start these things is the strain it can put on friendships you'd previously thought pretty strong. Little differences become big issues and you're sometimes stuck between saying something and maybe having a huge row, or saying nothing and boiling silently for hours.
Some friendships survive and become more precious as you know you can ride with that guy, others don't and that's just life. By the time you've assembled a team of maybe 3 guys that you can really ride with-you'll be nearly too old to do it .
Thanks for the narrative and the insight. Keep posting and enjoy the ride-you maybe don't think so now but it will truly change and enrich your life. Rod.
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #240
JTBMC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Friendship

Indeed relationships & friendships are tested by fire on any long hard ride.
Our 2011 TAT Ride even strained the love and friendship of 6 Brothers. My Brothers and I went through hell and back with our youngest brother, from harsh words back and forth into a fist fight between he & the two next youngest brothers one evening.
All is good now and we are as tight as stretched Barbwire once again, after the Peacemaker (me) stepped in and calmed things down, Little Brother claims riding (crashing) & camping in the Moab & Nevada miserable heat, normal in July for reaching his breaking point.
We have since made several long hard on & off road rides without another incident.
JTBMC is offline   Reply With Quote