Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #91
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Gotcha, you'll probably catch up to me in the TAT, broke down somewhere! Haha.

Leaving here on the 20th

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #92
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,729
yeah.....matt go over your bike again and do as the others have said & replace the bearings seals in the hubs. (front & rear is probably a good idea) i'd also suggest lubing your swingarm bearings & linkage, they're pretty dry from the factory.

also, fix anything that you dont want to be tearing your flesh open in a get-off. like those ubolt deals....not good man. trim any zip ties flush, long bolt ends, wire, anything sharp that might bite you or your gear.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #93
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
Next on the list is upgrading our riding gear. We need durable, breathable, waterproof and padded riding gear. From reading hundreds of Ride Reports, we're all three going with the best: AEROSTICH!
Going to be a little hot, in those, made in MN for colder weather, not enough vents for warm weather, great gear, I have a stich suit, but hot
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #94
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
Count down...

Thanks folks for all advice. Yes. All of our bikes have been looked at by real mechanics. After that, I spotted my bearing issue and yes, of course I'm fixing before trip. Yes, Aerostich might be warmer than some others, but we chose the light version and we will unzip vents. The light weight version is supposed to be better in temps over 90f. I have a full mesh riding suit which is cooler but then I need to bring a separate rain gear. MY rear rack will have a large soft dry bag rubbery duffle, but I'm probably using just hose clamps. If bike falls over these brake instead of subframe.
Now I need to do 12,000 more things so I can leave Thurday...
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #95
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
Now I need to do 12,000 more things so I can leave Thurday...
It is funny how even when you think you are almost ready, there are still a bunch more things to do!

Have a great trip!! Everything will work out just the way it is supposed to.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #96
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,729
have a great ride! post any obstacles/closures you run across please.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #97
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 494
I'm in too. Just got back from a big loop through northern Nevada, 9 days and 1500 miles with Dustdevil club members. I did have a need to ride back to civilization for 2 days and went back out to meet the group. Part of our track was on the TAT. Two bikes were like yours, 600 Suzuki. They do the job well.

We did lose one of our guys, Tib/fib break. This was early in the ride and our safty guy was able to drive out and pick up his bike and take him back to town and to the hospital within a few hours. His break was just plain bad luck. Bike slid out while climbing a very steep, rutted jeep road and his leg was between his skid plate edge and the edge of the rut. Low speed too.

Also, best luggage for your bike was Giant Loop bag. Good luck on your ride, we had trials, a few dead ends, comradely and a good time. You will too.

knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #98
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 826
Maybe a year or two away for me. I'll be watching and learning. Have a great trip!

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #99
Ridin' Dirty
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Subscribing

I am looking forward to reading about your adventure!
Ridin' Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #100
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 100
I'm in here!
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #101
eddievalleytrailer
Shh, is that a banjo

Oddometer: 16
Three Friends, One Direction: West on the TAT! Giddyup!!

I'm hittin the trail on 5-31 for a 2 day run out then blast back to Johnson City on Sunday to be back to work on Monday. Ill be running slab from JC to Tellico that Thursday after work, get a room for the night then hit the trail Friday am.
When will you be at Tellico?

IBA #48298
IBA #48298
eddievalleytrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #102
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Getting Started:

We went all the way to the Atlantic:

http://fotomatt8.smugmug.com/Motorcy...C_0077_1-M.jpg

My Brand new Mefo Explorers from the nice folks at Twisted Throttle. I got 7K miles off My last set.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 02:57 PM
Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #103
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

A couple "before" shots

So, Travis flew in today and we started our trip in earnest. This morning our hotel room looked like a tornado had hit but eventually we got the bikes loaded. I made a pile of items to discard, because the weight is just too much. In fact, at one point later in the day I went to check the air in my front tire. The weight in the back of the back made it virtually effortless to spin the front wheel as it was sorta popping a wheelie just while it was resting on the kick stand! EEK.

Once the bikes we loaded, we threw our legs over the saddle and rode down to the atlantic ocean. My bike felt completely different. At slow speeds it reminded my of paddling a kayak that is half full of water. Just lilting and listing from side to side. I also was wearing my Leatt neck breach for the first time. It was a little claustrophobic having a bike that felt drunk instead of nimble, and a neck I couldn't move as easily from side to side. I decided to leave the neck brace off until we reach dirt. Oh the irony if I wrecked and hurt my neck if my brace was sitting atop my luggage instead of my head. But I needed to feel somewhat normal as I set out.
We walked down to touch the Atlantic as a symbolic gesture before turning our steeds west. I said "I'm really glad we're doing this, let's be safe and have fun" I found myself choking up a little bit out of gratitude and excitement.
Not 2 miles from the shore we had already gotten East and West mixed up. We had stopped to get gas and I asked the man at the gas station which way was west on 105 and he said the direction we just came from. Idiot. How can locals not even know that? Well I then asked a 30 something black guy which way and he agreed with the store clerk. I went to fiddling with glove or something and the black guy yelled something at somebody and it turns out he was upset with one of his employees. I weathered woman in Hot pink shorts and a white mesh shirt and WAY too much makeup. Wow. I just got directions from a pimp.
This is going to be quite an adventure.
We spent the next several hours heading inland in spurts of rain on three lane roads where you find home depot, olive garden and Walgreens , over and over and over. The rain made me a bit wary but we got through it. In retrospect it was the perfect way to see how our heavily laden bikes handled in rain with new tires. Then speeding up to 50 only to stop at dozens of red lights. Even though I was riding gingerly, i felt pretty confident about my safety having just gotten all new Aerostich riding gear. You can kind of just laugh at the rain. It has no chance of getting to you.

Eventually, the rain let up and we met some mild topography and many pleasant miles of tall pines that were aromatic from the light rains. The temperature was sometimes warm, but once we got moving our suits we fine, just unzip a bit to vent.
We drove through Florence, then Columbus S.C. about 160 miles from our start my bike started sputtering. Wow! out of Gas on a 4 gallon tank. My oversized tank made me think I would only rarely be concerned with fuel, but because of all the food, water, gear, cameras, etc my mileage was probably 35 mpg or something horrible.
We decide to press on and headed up 26 towards a national forest hoping to save a bit of money on a camping spot. Well this was about 35 to 45 minutes away and it was getting dark. Then we saw a sign for Dreher Island Park. I called but got answering machine. Then I just looked up campsite… perfect spots right on a lake. We showed up and I was literally a happy camper. The lake reminded me of lakes from growing up in Wisconsin, Pine trees the smell of fish mixed with lake water, somebody grilling hot dogs nearby. Our campsite was right on the water and I was so happy. We had quite a bit of heavy, high speed urban traffic and made it through just fine. Probably our only traffic of this kind that we will experience the whole trip. Really, statistically, the most dangerous part of our trip as far as fatal risks of vehicle to vehicle crashes. And we covered enough miles that tomorrow should be just 2 hours at the most before we're in the Appalatian mountains. Yee Haw. We were all in good spirits as we set up our tents. The breeze of the water kept the bugs away. The temperature was in mid 60s. We had a beautiful spot and my two friends who don't know each other except from me were getting along swimimngly. They cut jokes and both seemed to enjoy the company. We ate generous portions of Beef Stroganoff, Chilli Mac and Pad thai from our dehydrated pouches and sat aournd telling funny stories. A perfect start to this trip. I was expecting to get really anxious today with the trip officially getting underway and having SO MANY miles to go. But really, it was a perfect as a day could be.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 08:34 PM
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #104
eddievalleytrailer
Shh, is that a banjo

Oddometer: 16
Route

How was your route to the Atlantic? Knoxville then I-40 through the gorge to Asheville? Then on to 26 to Columbia? And was your Lake Murray campsite near Columbia, SC? I really hate that I will miss you guys on the trail by a week.
IBA #48298
eddievalleytrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #105
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

updates coming....

Start in Tellico:

The first 10 minutes of actual TAT have you thinking "WOW!! This is intense!". One river crossing went up to my knees. Wet slick dirt roads, but then it mellows out and actually in first few days just sort of figuring out the system. Lots of roads with no signs, wrong names, but the roll charts are spot on with distances!! I always doubt it but then at last minute it all adds up. At times it seems that Sam is sending you on a scavenger hunt. You'll go two miles out of your way for 600 feet of gravel seemingly. Then other times you'll just meander through a neighborhood for reasons I can't figure out. Over all though.. VERY beautiful, it even smells wonderful!! Super nice people!

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 10:54 PM