Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #121
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 825
Looking forward to the full report. I also find it very tedious and distracting to report while on a ride. The pressure to put something up take too much out of the day, for me. Congrats on finishing the ride. I'll read the report when you get it going. Will you put it here or start a new thread?

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #122
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
Everybody who does the TAT does it differently, and we each find our own way of telling it too.
Awesome

I've been following the ct90 guys as well. Love it when two RR cross paths.

Glad you had a good time and I look forward to your POV
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #123
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
i would humbly say, be patient. Judging by his first post and the vid, there is some quality footage and pics coming post ride.

+1 I think he is doing his report the best way; after it is all said and done. Very few people can do good reports play by play. (John Downs is the man when it comes to those reports)

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #124
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
This is my official REAL start of our Coast to Coast dual sport ride report

The night before we started the trail in Tellico Plains. The guy next door starts warning us of all the scary stuff we're going to see just in Tennessee. He warned of Moonshiners, forest meth heads and even ghosts!! He said we better be packing heat, cause we'd need it.
Well Tenn was kinder, gentler, and way more paved than I imagined. One friend who had researched it said we'd be riding hog tracks. Well, years ago perhaps. Even my GPS showed many of the roads were dirt not long ago. But a lot of it was pretty tame and we ended up in suburbia at least once.

My beast of burden:

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 11:14 PM
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #125
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

More Tenn

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The last day of Tennesee was the dirtiest.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 09:41 PM
Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #126
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

That first TAT proper night we camped at Sale Creek lake which is off Tennesse river near Shelton cemetery. A random dude gave us Smores, Golfish. Cheesecake cookies, Kaiser rolls, Angle food cake. etc. All Pepperidge Farms Products. Maybe he works for them?? Almost couldn't camp there because of a Tornado that had come through and the camp host said the tent sites weren't ready yet . Eventually, the guy warmed up to us and we got a beautiful spot right by the lake. 3 wood ticks were crawling on my legs in a vey short amount of time . I had treatd most of my clothes with Premetherin which repels them, so I switched into my treated pants. Richard and Travis compared notes on Central American countries where they both had lived.
Next day started off c.c..cccold!! End up getting lost in a new development. Streets changed? Many miles later, slept next to a place called Boobie Bungalo. Full moon. 3 beds in condo. Ate tuna with goldfish on smushed hamburger buns. Mostly all paved.
Next morning started off mostly paved. Great breakfast biscuits. Richard lost tent poles so we back tracked. Never found the tent poles. It was Memorial Day weekend and as I had feared.... all campsites all full just south of Savannah Tenn. So we got a hotel this time we all got our own rooms... We were starting to need space from each other. Ate Chili dogs with squished buns --really good. Got an early start into Missisppi the next morning. We crossed our first TAT border and as the GPS said we crossed the only thing that changed was the mix of blacktop aggregate. Shortly thereafter we crossed a rickety bridge, then a couple miles of paved roads before a nice swath of dirt. There was logging happening and some elevation gain which was nice because we were able to see the terrain a bit.
The dirt was red and dry but not too dusty. We were making good time when a sedan came flying around the corner. Richard was in front so they had to see him, but there was no indication that they had slowed down at all. Even though cars are pretty rare on the TAT, you have to treat blind corners appropriately..
Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #127
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

More Mississpi

Mississippi started off pretty cool. The dirt was red, a little muddy but not bad. After a quick crappy breakfast at Sonic, we headed over to see the man- Sam Correro. We kinda got turned around and lost in a neighborhood 20 minutes from his house but then eventually found our way to his house.
Sam is a gentle man. He spent 15 years making this trail that he estimates at least a thousand people have done. He showed us map details, kept offering us coffee and allowed me to interview him on video. Super nice guy.

The man himself! Sam Correro!

I went to stand on the porch of this typical Mississippi shack and by the time my photographer counted to "3", I had fallen through the floor.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 10:20 PM
Old 07-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #128
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Last bit of Miss..

just a few more pics:
Hotel was too sketchy to leave bikes outside:
[IMG][/IMG]

Ruts, mud AND Sand on this one..

Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #129
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

And into Arkansas!!

Crossing Mississippi then into a town taken over by Kudzu. After breakfast at a mediocre diner. We set out across the Arkansas farmlands. At first, it was a mix of daunting white sand but that was short lived. It soon became a half day of gravel grid with lots of dust. It was also HOT. But later it became cooler. This was a good way to learn about riding in different types of gravel. The deeper the scarier. The size of the pebbles also determines how to deal with it. I find about 38 mph works pretty good. In 3rd gear I still have enough to goose it if I get the front wheel heading sideways.
Eventually, in the afternoon we started getting a bit less gravel and a bit more elevation. We were pretty tuckered out around 4 so we slabed it to Wooly Hollow campground. I didn't even set up my tent before I went for a swim. IT was delightful. Only two other swimmers, and the sandy floor of the lake reminded me of beaches where I grew up in Wisconsin. I needed some time to not talk to anybody. We grilled hot dogs with chili again.
The first of many, many, many flat, pasture one mile grids that make up much of Ark(South East) and seemingly 400 miles of Oklahoma. All the turns were 90 degrees and the terrain was flat, and gravelly or dusty:

Travis Resting

Richard had lost his tent poles and we were consdiderinf wether or not to go to REI in Little Rock. My wife ended up sending one of my other tents. We did a pretty long ass day and camped at Wooly Hollow St Park.

I really liked that this was a quite state park with a lake that had a sandy floor. It was just what I needed after a long hot day.

Richard lost his tent poles so I gave him some twine and a pole from my rain fly and he rigged this up:

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 07:13 AM
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #130
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Ozarky

In the morning, we headed into the Ozarks. It was pretty impressive how beautiful it was after the farmlands. Also, it was more dirt as opposed to gravel. We were headed west often on tops of the little mountains. Eventually, I got us in our first truly lost moment. But I figured it out with the GPS. We had just taken a right turn a little too soon. Then the trail became much more difficult than the typical TAT(so far). I already wasn't feeling great, then getting lost on top of it started me think about the "what ifs". What if we get even more lost? What if we go down a hill that we can't get back up? What if I panic? What if it gets hotter? Well, we kept moving forward and it did get steeper and a lot more technical. Then at the bottom of the hill, travis went ahead and then he found a very cool swimming hole. The water was slate blue and milky. And cool. It was a good reset. The GPs showed us getting closer to next highway. There was one technical water crossing then a bouldered section of trail then a long DEEP river crossing. It had a gravel floor which was perfect. I made it through no problem. Travis stalled out but the trusty bike started up again.

Swimmin hole

Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #131
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Laugh OArk

I got really sick of Hamburgers by the end of this trip, but Brian and his wife Reagan made the best one I ate on the whole trip. Deeliciuous burger!

Not only are they the owners of the famous OARK store but they also are opening a bed and breakfast soon just for sweaty, greasy ADv riders!!! These are some smart folks. They will even have an area where you can work on your bikes around back!
[IMG][/IMG]

We ended up camping on the Mulberry River at the second park downstream. All was fine, until Travis discovered from some very enthusiastic revelers, that there was a huge concert/rave thing happening nearby soon. The enthusiastic people who had come a day early so they'd have plenty of time to get drunk enough... and used like the word "like" like all the time, man. It's like, they like don't even know they're doing it. We didn't want any part of their affordable beer, bad music camaraderie so we pulled up our tent stakes and camped next to the park Ranger on duty.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 09:50 PM
Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #132
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Last Day in Ark

It surprised me but those dang ol' Ozarks just kept going for quite a while.

Warloop road was a lot less of a big deal than I thoughtJust one ledge and some slimy rocks. No biggie.

and......bike nap!

We saw a lot of "Road Closed" signs on our trip and none of them pertained to 2 wheeled vehicles. We always wiggled around.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 10:09 PM
Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #133
Doug329
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Tat

Great report...brings back fond memories. Glad you got to visit with Sam. He's one great guy and really has his heart and soul into the TAT. We all owe him a lot.

Wonderful pictures..

Keep it coming.
Doug
Doug329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #134
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oklahoma.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #135
joenuclear