ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Filter

Me too I bought one of Gefr filterkits too but it's, I hope in sunny Cali and I'm here eager to go.
So I've yet to see my Greek stamps.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,819
Great comparisson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
I recently received Gefr's filter pack and it looks great.

The sock filter looks like its made from recycled granny pantys
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Stamps

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
gefr
Life is a trip

Fuel filters do not disintegrate when they are done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by licascurtu View Post
I know that after the cylindrical filter goes in my opinion it's worse having it than not, as it disintegrates itself and than u end up with lots of stuff in your injectors..
I think the paper filter disintegrated after washing it with brake cleaner. The glue obviously didn't withstand the strong chemicals. I haven't heard anybody else complaining for the disintegration of his cylindrical fuel filters.
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 01:47 AM
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 23,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Stamps

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
Hey I got a cool amoeba stamp

sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,759

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,759
Box with "HDR look" so you know it's Art:

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black

FakeName screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 03:35 PM
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #23
gefr
Life is a trip

Damn, these little boxes take a beating...

Traveling in every corner of the world, they take a hard beating. I will have to improve their stiffness in the second round.
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 11:13 PM
Old 04-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #24
licascurtu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
I think the paper filter disintegrated after washing it with brake cleaner. The glue obviously didn't withstand the strong chemicals. I haven't heard anybody else complaining for the disintegration of his cylindrical fuel filters.
Cheers.
It happened to me twice so far and also to a friend of mine riding his 990 R in Baja
licascurtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #25
gefr
Life is a trip

Hi there, could you give me some more details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by licascurtu View Post
It happened to me twice so far and also to a friend of mine riding his 990 R in Baja
Your paper filters disintegrated? You mean like the one on the photo circulating in here somewhere showing the glue "dissolved" ? What where the symptoms? bogging and fuel starvation? This happened without washing it with aggressive liquids? It seems to me you are the person to test my filters. Cheers.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #26
licascurtu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Your paper filters disintegrated? You mean like the one on the photo circulating in here somewhere showing the glue "dissolved" ? What where the symptoms? bogging and fuel starvation? This happened without washing it with aggressive liquids? It seems to me you are the person to test my filters. Cheers.
When I took the filter out the top and bottom metal parts of the filter came of in my hand and inside was all black ( all most burnt looking) and falling apart ....and yes without any cleaning ...I never clean my fuel filters and reuse them.
licascurtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #27
guglemonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
The difference with installing an external fuel filter is this: The pump pressurizes fuel at 3,5bar and then passes through the external filter and looses some pressure; in the OEM situation, fuel is pressurized through the filter and then regulated to 3,5bar and continues towards fuel injectors. However I read of a person that is running this setup and is quite happy with it. I prefer clean solutions.
Cheers.

Hallo everybody,

I apologize for not being so often on-line and not writing at all, just that following already 4 forums in Italy takes a lot of time :)

I am one of the happy user running a different fuel filter set-up

the teabag is hand made, sawn from a special 5 layer filter set adn I run an automotive big capacity filter out side the tank

I am just curiouse why do you think the pressure lowers after the regulator if the filter is between it ant the injectors. :)

as far as I know liquids cannot be compressed (almost not at all, almost ) so, even if the regulator is befor the filter, much, MUCH, bigger than the funny toilet paper one, it will not encounter any resistance at alla generating a counter pressure and/or lower pressure at the injectors.

my set-up has a much bigger teabag with lower filterin screen, 40microns, but a 3d filtering arean instead of a 2d like the original, a much biger surface and the automotive filter is more te 15times the original paper one :)

bike runs smoother than oil, no surging, never a problem, anf filters are really cheap and easy to change

in order to avoid the stupid o-ring system, I do use only Viton and never had a problem :)

couple of pictures :)

after 10km just to check how dirty east european fuel is :)

as far as I know, at least 10 people in Italy alone are running either my system, or a similar one with external fuel filter, never a problem, never an issue, just perfect.

I am setting up 2 990ADV for a raid to Dakar with my system.... i'll keep you posted :)

forgot about my original filters :)

my paperPOJ has also exploded afer 5.000km

the real problem is the design of the filter/pump assembly....

it's simply wrong :)

guglemonster screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 06:14 AM
guglemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #28
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,113
With a choce point in a pressure line the pressure is constant without flow, when flow exists after the chocepoint a pressure drop will occur when a sudden change of flow is there. With that big a filter I doubt it will be measureable though.

I suspect problems when a small 10 micron filter would be fitted instead of your big filter with 40 micron passages.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #29
gefr
Life is a trip

I am eager to hear of any aftermarket filters dissintegrating like the OEM.

That was my anxiety from the beginning. If the glue fails in petrol environment and in heat.
Cheers.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
guglemonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
With a choce point in a pressure line the pressure is constant without flow, when flow exists after the chocepoint a pressure drop will occur when a sudden change of flow is there. With that big a filter I doubt it will be measureable though.

I suspect problems when a small 10 micron filter would be fitted instead of your big filter with 40 micron passages.

agreed, but the flow mya never reach the pressure regulator if the teabag fills up or the paper thingy will clog and disrupt.

in my case the teabag is filtering around 40 (we are measuring something like 27, but let's call it 40 ) never creating a cavitaion problem on such a small pump, going to the full pressure/flow of the pump, leaving the regulator and than meeting the 5 micron std automotive filter (the one outside the tank) which is much better at non creating a barrier in the flow being 3d and huge compared to the paper one

this filter was meant to run a 3.2lt engine V6.... :)

in the end should the big filter clog the result would be the same as an exploded paperthingy or a clogged original teabag :)

btw, the choke point in this case does not exist since both the new teabag and the bigger automotive filter have much better flow capabilitiy than previous design

ktm design put most of the filtering action in the teabag, the middle membrane is almost a plastic sheet and clogs both for small and big particles

the trick is to trap bigger particles with 3 previus layers, than block the small ones allowing a longer filtering capability to the system

after the pump you MUST go between 5 and 8 microns (sorry for the previuos data) or the fuel injection will be damaged

below you can see the bigger (anyway you cannot feel them under your fingers) particles being free to leave the first layer of the filter

guglemonster screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 10:18 AM
guglemonster is offline   Reply With Quote