Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #76
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
He called me back for about a week giving me the 'are you really gonna screw over a man of the cloth?' sad song until I finally told him to go fuck himself with his cloth and go straight to hell.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #77
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
It can swing the other way too.

I was selling a DRZ400 and had put some hints in the ad that maybe it wasn't in showroom condition. "Some minor things could need improving" I think was the wording more or less.

To be more specific I knew the engine and gearbox was good but that one fork seal had started to leak, the battery probably had a dead cell and the chain had a stuck link and needed replacing.

Overall it was a good solid bike and the price was fair - but I fully expected whoever bought it to haggle a bit, tear it down and fix it up again.

Anyway - guy turns up with a trailer, takes one look at the engine oil and brakes. After 5 min we're at the point when I fully expected him to start kicking tyres, haggling and asking "what's wrong with the bike then".

Only - he didn't, he just said "I'll take it". So - within 5min of seeing the bike he's bought it with cash in hand and didn't even haggle.

Within 15 min the papers were signed, the bike is loaded and he is gone.

"Well - that was an easy deal"

Either he knew exactly what he was doing or not at all - not sure which to this day.
I did that when I bought my KLX650. It was 200 miles away. All I could think along the drive was "Detroit's a long way to drive for supper." In other words I was prepared to turn around and leave if the bike wasn't worth it.

The bike had 1710 miles with a scuff on the front fender. I almost felt bad paying $3100 for a two year old bike that sold for $5500 and was as close to show room as possible.

On the other side we, at the dealership where I worked, once put a Suzuki GT380 in an ad in Cycle News, we couldn't seem to sell the damn thing. I got a response that asked for pictures. I pushed the bike over by a neighbor's white garage doors and shot a few Polaroids (if anyone remembers that era) and sent them off... But not before having to preface that the pictures were WAY TOO GOOD. Sunny day, the bike looked like a show bike for a cover shot! No way I could let someone think that was the case. It was a pedestrian ten year old GT380. The guy came down and took it for $300 (going rate).

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #78
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Airhead owners are dreaming big these days,all the mawkish slobbering and worshipping these bikes get online has made people think they have a goldmine.

Usually one long ride after riding a new bike is enough to cure airhead want.

Even in 1985 or so, the dealer/friend I worked for bought his old R100RS back, spent all the money for complete refurbishing including paint and all. He just remembered just how sweet it was. Rode it one weekend on a long two day run, came back and said, " I musta been nuts, my CB900F is twice the bike!" Then he sold the bike to the guy who did all the fixing up, pulled out his 82 900F with the sport controls and fairing on it to ride another 10,000 miles before selling it off to go to a VFR. The Beemers don't always live up to the old dreams.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #79
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Naw, it's in the water.

Sold a 2007 SV650S last year, really nice with 4,200 miles on it. Got emails from CL offering as little as $2,500. Also a guy or two with the "All I have is $x,xxx" pitch - all before they'd seen the bike.
The one I get is "I live 2 hours (or whatever) away, so I'll give you $400 less than the asking price. To make up for gas."

I drove 3 hours one way to get my last bike, but I didn't ask for a discount because I had to drive to pick it up.

Also send a guy pictures of another bike I was selling. He emailed back that he would give me $500 less than I was asking because it looked like the chain was shot, tires were worn (less than 100 miles on them) plastic was scratched and that he would probably have to replace the crank bearings.

Crank bearings? Guess those were some good pictures.
I still have the bike, a year later. Ride it every chance I get and have not needed to replace any of those things.

WVhillbilly screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 04:05 PM
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #80
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post

Cranks bearings? Guess those were some good pictures.
I still have the bike, a year later. Ride it every chance I get and have not needed to replace any of those things.
Damn good pictures....
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #81
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Put my WR250 2-stroke on CL a few years back and had several people call or email asking would you take $XXX (several hundred less than the fairly reasonable price I was asking.) I told them all that, if they asked a few questions or came to look at it and it was not as described, or they simply had cash-in-hand and intent to buy, I'd be willing to negotiate. Not one of those sorry SOB's ever called back, much less came to look. The first viewer gave me my asking price even after I refused him a test ride (I pointed out that it was a bit of a handful to ride - the main reason I was selling it, and as he admitted he was not overly skilled in the dirt, my yard was not the place to try it out. He just said he understood and loaded it in his truck with a big grin on his face.)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #82
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
The thing that I've been hearing around here a lot lately is "What's your bottom dollar?" When people say that to me, they are just begging to get screwed with.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #83
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 783
Went to look at a Guzzi Eldo a few years ago that needed just a little "TLC"- according to the seller. Because of his description, I took the trailer. Got there and found the "complete" bike with the recent pro paint work was in boxes and sprayed with a rattle can. The crappy pics didn't show that the tank & fenders were set on the frame. Lots of missing parts.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #84
Bubbachicken
learning fast!

Oddometer: 30
Thumb They aren't all obvious, some are quietly worse!

Last year I was drooling in anticipation of a new bike, but did not have the scratch to get it. Being a NOOB, I knew I needed something cheap, that I could dent without severe regret, and that parts would be possible to locate (levers, screws, bolts, cables, battery, etc...). I scoured CL until I located an '81 CB650C across the Kentucky border, in a town about 60 miles away. Having not yet even been to a MSF course, I knew there was no way I was ready to test-ride it, but was hoping Providence would fall my way, and that I would not be screwed (If I did not spend the money then, it would evaporate). The day I left to look at the bike, the owner called and said, "I will understand if you don't want to make the trip, but I evidently fried a CDI on the bike. If you are still wanting to come, I will knock off 150 dollars so you can get another one." That seemed fair, as I quickly saw several places I could get them for 80 to 120 bucks a pop. The transaction was smooth, I had him start the bike, run up and down his street and shift up and down, etc. I was happy.

Since then, I have put in a clutch cable (he told me and showed me the old one (original) was bad), cleaned the carbs (he told me the bike had been sitting up for three months and that he had a fuel leak and had been using ethanol, and that this old a bike might have unseen issues, but he was not aware of any others. He got it several months before). I just this last week pulled the rear wheel to replace the back tire, and the bearings and brakes are great front and rear, but I had until today a minor carb issue still. I think it is fixed now. Overall, I cannot say I am unsatisfied with the expenditure of about $700 spent at purchase. Providence worked for me this time.

Next time? We shall see....

(ed.) Of course, I have spent that much or more since then on the MSF course, tire, assorted knicknacks, leather/gear, shocks and springs, fuel line, spark plugs, etc....

Bubbachicken screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 10:22 PM
Bubbachicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #85
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
When I was looking for a 950/990 Supermoto, I got my cash together. I found about 6 of them. And I was also looking at Tuonos. All of the sudden, all Tuonos and KTM Supermotos are nowhere to be found. The ones that were there earlier, were not there now. I sent about 5 emails to the guys I was in contact with about their Supermotos, the Tuonos were all sold by now, and it was only a few days. And none of them answered back. Finally, I found a stock one, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. And bought it the next day. 5 days after that, my first choice emailed me back, it was a 990, mapped, piped, dyno'd at 113 hp, just a very well set up 3000 mile bike. But I was happy with the one I've got.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #86
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Put my WR250 2-stroke on CL a few years back and had several people call or email asking would you take $XXX (several hundred less than the fairly reasonable price I was asking.)
I had that happen when I sold my previous motorcycle...all from folks who hadn't yet viewed the bike in person. One fellow, who self-identified as active duty Army (what relevance does that have to the sale?) was particularly aggressive on the phone. After a brief lecture on his efficient buying history, he said he'd come over if he had a "hard quote" from me.

At this point in the conversation, I had my fill of Sgt. Awesome. I quoted $500.00 above the listed price, explaining that this was my premium for having to deal with guys with personalities like his. He didn't immediately reply, so I said that one more call from him (I have Caller ID) would get him reported to the phone company. I then said, "Good luck, hero" and hung up.

I eventually sold the bike to a pleasant fellow a few towns away. He had a devil of a time finding my place (no GPS; a bit simple in the head), so I reduced our agreed-upon price by an additional $100.00 as a way of saying thanks for seeing things through.
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #87
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Daddy View Post
Ever notice on Craigslist, every used bike that's for sale, has always "just been washed" and the seller is so excited to get a pic of it, that they forget about the hose?

I've always noticed the wet spot on the concrete below the bike. Would it kill ya to push it 10'? :)

I've had some odd experiences selling stuff on CL. I wish I could avoid the weirdos, but that's the price you pay to get your ad out to a wide variety of people for free.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #88
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
/At this point in the conversation, I had my fill of Sgt. Awesome. I quoted $500.00 above the listed price, explaining that this was my premium for having to deal with guys with personalities like his./
I start quoting over my ask price as well. It just blows their minds.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #89
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
so I reduced our agreed-upon price by an additional $100.00 as a way of saying thanks for seeing things through.
i have done this several times. when all is said and done and all paper work is finished..bike loaded or about to be ridden away i have given back 1 of the hundred dollar bills as a thank you for showing up when they said they would and not being an asshole.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #90
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat110 View Post
I purchased this car from a guy who bought it for his (hot) daughter, and she didn't like it as it was too big.
Pics or it didn't happen......man you FF's are slipping.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote