Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
foxtrapper OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Anyone here ever actually "lay er down"?

We've been having fun with the stories we've all heard about "laying it down", and the notion of climbing on top and riding it to a halt.

But, have any of us ever actually done it? Intentionally laid a bike down while riding? I'm not talking about crashing and ended up laying on the ground, or having a bike squirt out from under you. I'm talking about deliberately laying a bike down onto the pavement?

I don't know that I've ever known a person that really has deliberately "laid it down". I don't know that I could actually do it myself. Even in a situation that warranted it (like going under a semi trailer, I suppose).

Just curious.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Nope.

If I'm to guess the whole expression probably came from Harley riders who typically use the rear brake and nothing but the rear brake. Too much rear brake when a car pulls out of you and down you go...
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Sort of. I'm one of those mid-life crisis guys, started riding at 40. BRC, check. Little bike (Super Sherpa), check. Stepped up to a Ducati Monster 620, still small but a lot bigger than the Sherpa, not gonna hold it up with legs alone when it starts tipping slowly over.

Out on a ride, tight right hander going up hill, downshifted to second, shoulda went all the way to first (Monsters are geared pretty tall). Bike started lugging, panicked, braked, didn't clutch, bike stalls, I put the foot brake on and the left foot down. Bike starts going over to the right (right hander, remember?). Still panicked, put the right foot down, can't correct the bike, soooo...

Slowly I "Layed her down." Got off, picked the bike up, and noticed the old man walking his little yippy dog. What he must of been thinking I don't know, but I bet he got a good laugh.

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,788
I use to do it with my bicycles when I was a kid all the time.

Not so much with the motos

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,117
No.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Screzzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
In before this thread gets kicked to the basement. To answer the question, no.
Screzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,367
I Laid er down just to get a pic for this thread.

I'm too good of a rider to actually crash

That's my story and I'm sticking to it

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Islesfan91
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Sort of. I'm one of those mid-life crisis guys, started riding at 40. BRC, check. Little bike (Super Sherpa), check. Stepped up to a Ducati Monster 620, still small but a lot bigger than the Sherpa, not gonna hold it up with legs alone when it starts tipping slowly over.

Out on a ride, tight right hander going up hill, downshifted to second, shoulda went all the way to first (Monsters are geared pretty tall). Bike started lugging, panicked, braked, didn't clutch, bike stalls, I put the foot brake on and the left foot down. Bike starts going over to the right (right hander, remember?). Still panicked, put the right foot down, can't correct the bike, soooo...

Slowly I "Layed her down." Got off, picked the bike up, and noticed the old man walking his little yippy dog. What he must of been thinking I don't know, but I bet he got a good laugh.

David B.
that's a drop.
Islesfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,374
Does intentionally locking up the back to take the low side over the potentially soon to come high side count? If so then yes, I hate high sides.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Not on my motorcycles, but I lay my Bianchi down all the time because it doesn't have a kickstand.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Not on pavement, but if I'm going down a hill that has become almost to steep to stand on and I know I have .04 seconds before I'm going 100 mph, I'll lock the front brake, step over the bars and grab for the nearest tree. Usually the bike flops over and doesn't go too much further down the hill.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Went riding the other day. Early spring, still cool in the morning. Hooked up with my buddy and we went to ride some sand roads in the pine Barrens. By then it was noon and I was sweating my ass off. I had to lay 'er down.
birds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
foxtrapper OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Does intentionally locking up the back to take the low side over the potentially soon to come high side count? If so then yes, I hate high sides.
So you deliberately locked the rear, and swung it round until you were down on the ground? If so, I'd say that counts! I really wonder if I could do that, or if I'd be constantly trying to minimize speed and keeping it up on the tires. Certainly I've done what you describe, but it was incidental to locking the brakes, not deliberate on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Not on pavement, but if I'm going down a hill that has become almost to steep to stand on and I know I have .04 seconds before I'm going 100 mph, I'll lock the front brake, step over the bars and grab for the nearest tree. Usually the bike flops over and doesn't go too much further down the hill.
Wow, I'd say that counts too. Not a scenario or a technique that I was thinking of either. I can't think of the time, but I suspect I've done similar "dives to safety" as well. Especially on bicycles.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
intentionally, no, but one crash I had was almost like fun
I was heading east on 221 in Roanoke, VA when I see a dinky little sign that sez "Parkway Entrance" and think to myself, "oh sh!t, thats my turn"

I was heavily loaded on my SV650, as I countersteer into the on ramp, I could see that there was more asphalt than aggregate on the ramp, one big tar snake, I felt the front end washing out and thought to myself when I slid into that granite curb, this lowside is gonna turn into a high side

so, I stood the SV up, and took my chances keeping it under control on the median/island between the onramp & off ramp. but, the grass was wet with dew, slipperyer than ice, I went down the instant I hit it, my Vermont rounder U-bag acted as a frame slider, I got some grass stains and went for a ride, 0 damage other than slight rash on turn signal and headlamp trim ring

I was tempted to do it again
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 375
I layed it down.. 100% on purpose and very strategically I might add..

Going down a steep hill covered in ice. No chance of stopping or slowing down before the 90 degree turn at the bottom. Fly out the back of the turn into a snow ditch or crank the bars over and hang on while the panniers dig in to slowly stop all nice and easy. Lay er down !!!