Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #31
raebear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Yes- in the dirt, in certain circumstances as a last ditch effort;(one still quite vivid)- never street. Burying your hard parts in the dirt will stop you faster than any brakes, saved me and the bike. Also when climbing really big hills, if you are not going to make it, you'd best plant it in the dirt, lest it cartwheel to the bottom.
raebear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,822
Did it on snow, little 100cc. It waz a lot of fun.

The Self-Preservation Society
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #33
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 802
Lay er down is just a way to avoid admitting that you crashed and a way to say you did it on purpose. It happens when you get in trouble and instead of doing what you should know from your training and experience (big assumption here) , what you do instead is something wrong and you go down. So you can argue that your actions after you knew you were in trouble resulted in going down, you went down.

I went down in a vado - a stream crossing a paved road - in Mexico not far from where I live. The algae coating the concrete was as slick as ice. I did get it over towards the low side but gravity lay'd er down, not me. I crashed. I crashed because I was actually going too slow and I wasn't paying enough attention to the road surface. I didn't relate green pavement to slippery stuff. I crashed.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #34
DepthFinder
Portly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Sure! How else do you change a clutch set out without draining the oil? Lay 'er down. Bolt it all back up, Stand 'er up.

Another time we had some extremely bad winds/tornadoes coming through and I didn't have a garage. Laid 'er down.

Pulling a rear rim to do a tube patch on uneven terrain. Lay 'er down.

That being said, when I was growing up, I often heard guys say "I laid it down *insert details* " It was simply an expression that they crashed. The folks I heard it from never sounded like they were dodging responsibility for their own mistake, nor did they say "I had to lay it down," as though it was some feat.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #35
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
We've been having fun with the stories we've all heard about "laying it down", and the notion of climbing on top and riding it to a halt.

But, have any of us ever actually done it? Intentionally laid a bike down while riding? I'm not talking about crashing and ended up laying on the ground, or having a bike squirt out from under you. I'm talking about deliberately laying a bike down onto the pavement?

I don't know that I've ever known a person that really has deliberately "laid it down". I don't know that I could actually do it myself. Even in a situation that warranted it (like going under a semi trailer, I suppose).

Just curious.
yeh

on the road and dirt

when I was young/drunk/stupid

now just stupid

I think the older bikes used to have more sticking throttles

as this seems to be the main reason for doing a foolish, I had to layerdown.

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #36
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
More than once in over 40 years of street riding. Can blame drivers of other vehicles for most of them, it pays to pay attention and wear protection. Learned that I prefer rolling to sliding.
First experience was as a teenager and had been drinking, go figure.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #37
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
No
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #38
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 629
Yup.

1979 Honda CBX.

Ripping down the back roads, go around a bend and all of a sudden the sun is in my eyes (starting to set). Can't see the road ahead, but do see the black and yellow sign of a 'T' intersection! Faaack! I hammer on the brakes and see trees and bushes coming up fast but bike is not stopping fast enough, so I throw it down and ride it through the intersection into the rubarb. The bike hits a pile of dirt and tosses me off into the bushes.

Somehow I am not hurt (too much). I manage to get up on my feet and check the bike. Surprisingly, not too much damage to the right side (footpeg, end of handlebar). I had a 6 into one pipe and it exited on the other side. Then I realize that I had just missed that 4x4 post holding the 'T' sign! Lucky bastard I was.

Did I also mention that, back in the day, I was wearing my best cut-off shorts and running shoes? Shirtless too of course. Hey, it was a hot day!
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.iboxcabinets.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #39
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,785
Sure...but NEVER intentionally . Every time I've ever lay er down was on the way to the crash.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #40
Yamarocket630
Lurker

Oddometer: 390
Yes, but not intentionally. First (legal) street bike, 2nd day after being endorsed to ride legally. Coming up on a 4 way intersection, 1 oncoming car. Jackass in a pickup pulls out from cross road on my right turning left to be oncoming traffic to me. It would have been uncomfortably close, but he had just enough time to pull out and I'm pretty sure he saw me but doesnt see the car he's turning in front of. Oncoming car locks up the brakes, jackass pickup driver stops in the middle of the road. Seeing this I think I have just enough time to brake like mad and make a quick right turn at the intersection. Somehow jackass pickup driver ends up blocking both lanes just before the intersection. I now don't have time to completely stop and take to the grass shoulder rather than broad-side him. I remember making a conscience decision to go onto the soft shoulder. Rear brake locks on the grass, bike goes down, I slide to a stop a few feet shy of his bumper.

Lessons learned:
1. Dont assume they see you or anybody else and wont pull out even if they do see you.
2. Dont ride a bike with a half working front brake because the fork seals are pissing oil on it (I probably could have stopped if both brakes had worked 100%)
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #41
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
"Laying er down" in the dirt don't count.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #42
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,555
A club ride in staggerd formation, the group was bunching on approach to traffic zone.
The rider in front of me turned out into a side street.
It took me so much by suprise I rode across his pillion seat.
On landing I realised half a dozen of our mates would have seen it.

Diplomacy demanded that I "lay 'er down"
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #43
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRoadDog View Post
Yes, back when I raced motocross. I came off a table top and my throttle stuck (it was really muddy, but I always kept the throttle clean so...), but naturally this spot was the one dry part of the track where I was landing, and it was either go off the berm and crash into a tree, or force the bike down to the ground... came out with a right elbow so bruised and purple it stayed discolored and swollen for several days. I make fun of the "lay er down" statement as much as anyone, but I actually had to do it once. A week before a kid had the same thing happen to him and there was barbed wire on the other side of the berm that he got into, and they hauled him off in life flight.
No clutch?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #44
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
. I now don't have time to completely stop and take to the grass shoulder rather than broad-side him. I remember making a conscience decision to go onto the soft shoulder.
or - when I found a better place to crash I laid it down.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #45
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
I did it once by reflex when I was 17. Guy cut me off in bumper-to-bumper traffic then slammed on his brakes. I grabbed a handful, lost the front, and slid under his bumper. It actually worked out well.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote