Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #46
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
When I was 10 or 11 we used to pedal our bikes as fast as we could onto this sloping wet grassy spot, then stand on the coaster brakes just as hard as we could... great fun until the lady whose front yard we were in realized just what we were doing to her lawn.
Not since.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #47
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
We've been having fun with the stories we've all heard about "laying it down", and the notion of climbing on top and riding it to a halt.

But, have any of us ever actually done it? Intentionally laid a bike down while riding? I'm not talking about crashing and ended up laying on the ground, or having a bike squirt out from under you. I'm talking about deliberately laying a bike down onto the pavement?

I don't know that I've ever known a person that really has deliberately "laid it down". I don't know that I could actually do it myself. Even in a situation that warranted it (like going under a semi trailer, I suppose).

Just curious.
Not on asphalt, but on dirt. When I was a kid we used to ride all around Santa Fe, New Mexico on two-track roads. One day I came blazing over a hill to find that someone had erected a barbed wire fence across a road I had ridden just a couple days earlier. I basically bailed off the bike backwards and let it go cart-wheeling through the fence ahead of me, busted the wires and I went tumbling through after it. That scared the shit out of me, jumping off was totally instinctual, and thankfully it worked. There was literally no warning about the new fence.

Doug
Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #48
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Not on asphalt, but on dirt. When I was a kid we used to ride all around Santa Fe, New Mexico on two-track roads. One day I came blazing over a hill to find that someone had erected a barbed wire fence across a road I had ridden just a couple days earlier. I basically bailed off the bike backwards and let it go cart-wheeling through the fence ahead of me, busted the wires and I went tumbling through after it. That scared the shit out of me, jumping off was totally instinctual, and thankfully it worked. There was literally no warning about the new fence.

Doug
Great story -- tell me you picked the bike up and rode it.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #49
TxRoadDog
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
No clutch?
No time to think about it really... it was either go over the berm or just get off of the dang thing. Was one of those situations where you had better been dropping a gear or two in midair and setting up for the turn before you landed.
1996 Harley Davidson FXDS, V-Thunder 3010, Torrington B-138, Hylift Johnson Lifters, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Competition Drag pipes, Riser Spacers, Santee XLX Low rise Bars, J&P Antique style grips, 13" FXDX Shocks, Shimmed and PVC'd front forks with 20w oil.
TxRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #50
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Great story -- tell me you picked the bike up and rode it.
I was a kid, maybe 9th grade, so I bounced better back then . Had ATGATT too - 3/4 helmet, leather work gloves, Levi jacket and jeans, some kind of boots. Also, the bike was a early '70's Suzuki TS90 or something like that so it wasn't real fast and there wasn't any cheapo plastic on it, it was all metal so it didn't disintegrate like today's bikes. Cast iron is very durable. IIRC the seat was torn a bit and the handle bars were tweaked, one grip was torn, but nothing that couldn't be repaired pretty fast. I also remember that the seats on those old bikes didn't ride up onto the tank like today's bikes so all mine had these funky little twin dents in the gas tank right where the seat ended. That was a long time ago and I can still remember wracking my nuts almost every time the riding got rough . I also remeber that the most advanced bikes had something like 4 inches of suspension travel, good gawd. That was one tough little motorcycle.

Doug
Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #51
marca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Years ago I had someone in a line of stopped oncoming traffic decide to bail and do a U-turn right in front of me. I climbed all over my brakes and had the front on the edge of lockup and I guess the rear locked up as well. No time to think much. All I had on my mind was when to let go of the bike as it t-boned the car so I would go over the car rather than into it. The idiot driver proceded with his U-turn without pause or care and I was "lay'n her down". I got slowed down a bunch and a hole opened up between the end of his car and the other stopped cars in the oncoming lane. I eased off the brakes, the bike stood up, and I drove right through the opening. Then I pulled over and shook for a bit. That has been my most serious "religious" experience to date on a bike.
marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #52
NMBurro
Numbnutz

Oddometer: 27
In grand style

Vintage roadrace practice @SMRI in Albuquerque, exiting turn 9 onto the strait the pipe decks, and I have a quick decision with little runoff. Try to make the corner, or straiten it up and try to slow down before the fence. I chose the fence, but realized I had too much speed to slow her down. Quick call, force a lowside. Worked great until lowside turned into a highside. Bike bucks me off into fence, which bends with my weight and throws me back up landing me on my feet. 400 suffers a bent bar, but is otherwise ok. Cornerworker says, "why didn't you just go left?" Good question.....
NMBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #53
foxtrapper OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Interesting. Far more folk have deliberately "laid er down" than I would have suspected. With quite a number of good reasons and explanations.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #54
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Quote:
Interesting. Far more folk have deliberately "laid er down" than I would have suspected. With quite a number of good reasons and explanations.
The way I see it, "layin' her down" is just another tool in the box to be used when the situation calls for it. I've been doing stoopid shit on motorcycles for 50 years, though, and I can remember doing that intentionally just once (can't count how many times I've broken that tool out unintentionally ). If it works, use it - I'd rather have the bike lead me into some situations like that fence, but it was truly instinctual, I don't recall consciously "throwing the bike down". I guess we call that experience.

Cornerworker says, "why didn't you just go left?" Good question.....

It all seems so clear and rational from a different perspective .

Doug
Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #55
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,821
I once crashed my bike coming around a corner but managed to slide for some of the way on the bike rather than on the ground.

But it wasnt intentional at all. It just cost more to fix the bike because both fairings ended up smashed (top one from me riding on it). Maybe i saved my gear though as that was relatively ok.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #56
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,791
Thought it was a myth

I thought it was a myth about the "had to lay 'er down" talk...until I had a block party. I was busy burning burgers and brats, but two neighbors start talking about their crashes and yep, both of them had "had to lay 'er down" tales.

To the credit of the MoCo, these guys are not HD riders, but do ride cruisers.

Other funny thing about that day, my wife lets the dog out of the back door and he immediately runs around to the garage were the hamburgers (mostly gone) and hotdogs (plenty, maybe 10 left) were on a plate. He gobbles the whole thing. I yell at the wife for being a little short thoughted, shall we say? Basically "WTF was going through your mind?"

I was upset, but I wasn't for long. Wife had the neighbor ladies inside with their babies and chit chatting away...the dog comes comes into the living room, middle of the circle of women, and backs a duece out right there! Probably the only time I laughed when he did that.
He was old and died later that year. He was one crazy azz dog.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #57
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,522

My own design
Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #58
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
No. I have consciously jumped off (as opposed to being thrown off) a bike though. I could see a crash was inevitable and didn't want to get sandwiched between 200KG of german steel and a rocky bank. :)
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #59
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,599
Slid out the short tracker numerous times - chop the throttle and it's like instant highside, so you stay in it and go down. It isn't really intentional in that you're doing whatever you can to save it without highsiding. Jay Sprinsteen mentioned that he actually went from a lowside back up and on two wheels. He was sliding out, ended up on the sidecase and thought about it, staying in the throttle a bit while sliding. The bike eventually raised up getting both wheels back on the track and he rode it out and on.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #60
Islesfan91
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
completely disagree. I see a number of instances of not planning ahead or being distracted.
Islesfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote