User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,081
The McGruber (Dumb McGyver tricks) thread

Maybe needs to be in another forum, but like the McGyver thread, it is partially to educate others, in this case what NOT to do. Ingenuity gone array, that resulted in less than desirable results. Come on fess up your stupidity! Let others learn while laughing!
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

I will start:

The results:

So here is how I did it, stupidity, complacency and multitasking.

So here is the story, a couple years ago our 10 year old Saab, with 170K on the clock, that now serves as my winter car, developed a problem with the starter circuit. It would generally manifest itself when you stopped for a few minutes, running into a store, stopping to get gas etc. It was VERY intermittent. I consulted my brother in law, who is still employed as a master tech at a Saab dealer and he said there was no one item, in his experience that caused it, but rather several things in combination. And every time I tried to diagnose, by the time I got the VOM out the problem was gone.

So one of the first things I did one day,when it acted up, was to jump straight from the battery to the solenoid trigger wire and the starter engaged. So as an "emergency" bypass I ran a wire from the solenoid trigger up to the battery area and secured it, so if the starter failed to engage I could pop the hood and just "jump" the system. I am sure any of the mechanics on this site would have done the same thing. The problem would come and go, sometimes not happening for months.

When I started driving it this fall, all was good for a while, but then the problem started happening frequently, it was no bother as I would just pop the hood, engage the starter and off I would go...................Well a couple months ago was in town, picking up a few things, I spoke with the wife, and we decided to pick up some take out for dinner. I called a place that was only a couple miles from the house, and they said it would be 1/2 hour, so I ran home took some stuff in the house and killed a couple minutes until it was time to run and make a pick up.

So I run out to the car, and twist the key, starter did not engage, so I pop the hood, and then think, I haven't checked the oil in a while, so before I start it, I pull the dipstick, and it needed topping up, so I go in the barn grab some oil and start adding it, all the time the key and headlights were on, and I notice they are getting dimmer, so while finishing adding the oil, I reach over and jump the starter, I am sure everyone can guess what happened.

In my haste grabbing the stuff when I came home earlier, I failed to put the car in park, which is probably why the starter didn't engage, but as the scenario was when the problem was most likely to happen, I assumed that was the issue.

So when the car started it drove forward, and pinned me between the car and the barn, at the knees, luckily I was close to the barn, and the car didn't have time/distance to knock me down, and pin me at the chest.

I tried to push the car away, but couldn't, so my first thought was to grab the leatherman and pop the connector off the ignition system, but I grabbed the cell phone instead and told the wife I needed her to run outside NOW! She backed the car away, i had no real pain, but when I tried to walk, the right knee just buckled sideways. I thought I popped the ACL (absence of pain, no lateral knee stability), but x-rays said otherwise.

Like I said stupidity, complacency and multitasking, did me in.

Guess we all need a wake up call now an then, and sometimes it is a slap to the forehead, or back of the head, other times worse.

So that is it, live and learn. Still driving the car, but now the wire is routed inside, where I jump it at the fuse box, until I get well enough to put one of those NASCAR style toggle switches on the dash.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,620
Talking

When testing for voltage, make sure you have the DVM set up for voltage not amps. Especially on 208 volts or higher. And shut the damn power off or lock out the equipment!

When cutting steel with a cutting torch, use the damn heavy gloves. Waving the thing around with those shitty goggles is asking for trouble.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,649
Remember when using the hot wrench to help remove recalcitrant objects (usually threaded) . . . just because it isn't red anymore doesn't mean it's not hot.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
A 5 gallon bucket makes a great centerstand for an LC4.

Right up to the point you take the triple tree nut loose and the front end falls forward, and the bike falls backward.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
How about keeping the stories in the "Note to self" thread?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401256
Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
How about keeping the stories in the "Note to self" thread?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401256

I think you are missing the point, this is Mcgyver gone awry, hence mcgruber.

Note to self is general hey I fucked up thread.

Mcgruber is Mcgyver gone bad.

Swiss army type stuff.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
freax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaahaha

I'm laughing my arse off even though its impolite to do so. @ post #2.

This is what inspired my post in the other thread, that started this whole thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzrOL...ailpage#t=114s

And the post: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=826

We all know that coathanger wire isn't strong enough to do what he did.

freax screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 10:27 PM
freax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,092
Murphys Law

NOT remembering to shut off the fire fluid to your gas axe pretty much assures that there WILL NOT be enough fire fluid available
for the next time you want to lite off your smoke wrench---don't ask how I know

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #10
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
NOT remembering to shut off the fire fluid to your gas axe pretty much assures that there WILL NOT be enough fire fluid available
for the next time you want to lite off your smoke wrench---don't ask how I know
That's a "Note to Self", not a McGruber. A McGruber would be running out of acetylene and trying to get by by hooking up fourteen cans of ether to the regulator using an aquarium air manifold.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
that's a "note to self", not a mcgruber. A mcgruber would be running out of acetylene and trying to get by by hooking up fourteen cans of ether to the regulator using an aquarium air manifold.

............then the thing blew up, and burned down the shed....

bingo!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
freax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
............then the thing blew up, and burned down the shed....

bingo!!!!!!!
Nah I bet the ether would've knocked whoever was using it uncouncious, THEN it burnt down the shed...
Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Wreck™
Wreck™

Oddometer: 356
I just had an excellent moment.

Anyone familiar with polishing stainless, aluminum or brass knows that you use a sewn flannel wheel and a bar of abrasive to charge the wheel, attach wheel to rotating power tool and polish away, a job which blows in all possible ways.

I have a 1 3/4" X 21" stainless tube to polish for a customer who is a boat builder, I machined both ends and welded a threaded part on one end.

Polishing this is going to suck big time.

Solution:
1 Chuck round tube in 24" swing X 72" travel clapped out 1936 vintage lathe

2 Clamp 8" right angle polisher/grinder with 10" X 1" buffing wheel to tool post of said lathe

3 Start grinder and lathe spindle, in opposing directions, engage buffing wheel to part, start lathe feed at a very slow setting

4 Add abrasive as needed, watch as part is buffed to perfection after 3 or 4 traverses, each of which lasts 8-10 minutes

5 Extinguish fire as the part will get so hot that it will set the cotton buffing wheel ablaze

6 Remove smoldering buff and drown in sink, finish job tomorrow.

It did an excellent job of polishing just don't let it get to hot.

Pictures tomorrow

Post fire

Wreck™ screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 06:53 AM
Wreck™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Maybe why they have a "max RPM" on them buffing wheels. I think the grinder could exceed that, mine goes 10,000. I'll remember that next year, good idea to polish my muffler can.The lathe I could use is sure big enough to mount the can and also my polisher, only turns at 3,500 Rpms.

And thanks for the reminder....have to take one of my fire extinguishers in for service.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck™ View Post
Post fire

Somehow I though you were at an angle to create a helical polish.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote