User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Mehaniotis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
2001 Triumph 955 i sprint wont start

Hi guys . Looking to buy a 2001 955i sprint.
The owner tells me the bike was running last summer when he put it away for the winter. This spring he went to start it but no go.

It turns over fine but its not getting spark to the plugs.
Can some one give me a run down on the possible causes . Checked the fuses ,the battery is fully charged, getting fuel.

I'm very interested in buying this bike but I'm afraid I might be getting over my head as I do not know anything about this model.
Any know issues with electrical problems for year and model?
Thanks.
Mehaniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
EvilTwin86
Hooligan

Oddometer: 5
A no spark condition can be cause by a few different things: The Control unit not getting a signal from the crank sensor, a faulty control unit not sending signals to the coils, the coils not getting power, or any wiring fault in the previously mentioned systems. If it stopped working over winter it's not unheard of for a critter to have gotten in the bike and chewed some wires. Sounds like you have a few hours of more in depth electrical diagnosis.
EvilTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,079
The ignition switch in my 00 Tiger had this problem intermittently. Then it started to die for a brief second here or there while riding. Always on left turns. I found the problem to be the solder joints on back of the switch had broken from years of turning the handlebars.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #4
Mehaniotis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi and thanks for the reply. When you say faulty control unit you mean ignition control unit? If so ,can the unit be removed to be taken to a qualified Triumph dealer for a diagnostic test without having to take the bike along as well?

Where is the crank sensor located and what is it's function.
Sorry for the dumb questions . The bike is in very good condition otherwise with less than 20K on the meter .
The price is right too at $500.00 but at the same time I'm thinking that when all is said and done I might be spending on repairs way more than what the bike is worth.
Thought?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehaniotis View Post
Hi and thanks for the reply. When you say faulty control unit you mean ignition control unit? If so ,can the unit be removed to be taken to a qualified Triumph dealer for a diagnostic test without having to take the bike along as well?

Sorry for the dumb questions . The bike is in very good condition otherwise with less than 20K on the meter .
The price is right too at $500.00 but at the same time I'm thinking that when all is said and done I might be spending on repairs way more than what the bike is worth.
Thought?
At that price, just buy it and work on it at home. Absolute worse case scenario is that you can't figure out what's wrong with it, or when you do, it's too expensive to fix. (which seems highly unlikely) In that case, you'd have no problem doubling your $500 by parting it out.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,258
Check to see if you have 12v to the coils with key on, kill switch set to run.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
EvilTwin86
Hooligan

Quote:

Thought?
I'm not familiar with that bike; I'd have to find a service manual to give you more specific answers. But im assuming that on 01 Triumph is carbed not fuel injected, so it should just have a CDI unit which can be tested with a multimeter if you have the manual to know what each pin should test at. the crank sensor is usually found on the lower half of the motor, and senses the teeth on the crank so that the spark is timed correctly, it's basically the CDI's way of knowing what position the crank is at in its rotation.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
Mehaniotis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin86 View Post
I'm not familiar with that bike; I'd have to find a service manual to give you more specific answers. But im assuming that on 01 Triumph is carbed not fuel injected, so it should just have a CDI unit which can be tested with a multimeter if you have the manual to know what each pin should test at. the crank sensor is usually found on the lower half of the motor, and senses the teeth on the crank so that the spark is timed correctly, it's basically the CDI's way of knowing what position the crank is at in its rotation.

That model and year Triumph is fuel injected.
I'm trying very hard to make it work in my mind .I been burned few time and the reason for being a bit cautious.
Thanks for the reply's guys.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
EvilTwin86
Hooligan

Quote:
That model and year Triumph is fuel injected.
I'm trying very hard to make it work in my mind .I been burned few time and the reason for being a bit cautious.
Thanks for the reply's guys.
OK, if it is fuel injected then that means it's got a full ECU that does all the processing, not just a basic CDI unit. Those are harder to test. I still think that $500 is worth it, but I'm a moto tech and can do all the work myself, and figure worst case scenario a new ECU would have to be ordered. But I kinda doubt that's the case. it's more than likely a wiring fault.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
Mehaniotis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
At that price, just buy it and work on it at home. Absolute worse case scenario is that you can't figure out what's wrong with it, or when you do, it's too expensive to fix. (which seems highly unlikely) In that case, you'd have no problem doubling your $500 by parting it out.
Trust me I'm thinking real hard. Actually the deal is an Old Craftsman table saw and $400.I figured the saw is worth $100 ,hence the five hundred purchase price.
Much appreciate the advise to buy.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
Mehaniotis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin86 View Post
OK, if it is fuel injected then that means it's got a full ECU that does all the processing, not just a basic CDI unit. Those are harder to test. I still think that $500 is worth it, but I'm a moto tech and can do all the work myself, and figure worst case scenario a new ECU would have to be ordered. But I kinda doubt that's the case. it's more than likely a wiring fault.
I understand diagnostic tests by dealers is $300+ that seems like lots of money. I also read on a Triumph forum about this unit called "USB plug with tune ECU program"
What is it, how does it work and how much should I expect to pay for one.
Who sells them. I wouldn't mind spending couple hundred for one if one can be had.
Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Triumphs have a shit load of relays under the seat. Pull one, go down to the local electronics store, buy a pile and start replacing.

You could also go to the stealer, but odds are you'll buy the same for a fraction of the price elsewhere.

Relays do not like damp storage.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
Mehaniotis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Triumphs have a shit load of relays under the seat. Pull one, go down to the local electronics store, buy a pile and start replacing.

You could also go to the stealer, but odds are you'll buy the same for a fraction of the price elsewhere.

Relays do not like damp storage.

Pete
That sounds like the plan. At least you guys aren't talking ECU'S.

I'll take a ride and look at it again tomorrow.

Thanks Pete.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #14
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 879
Does the fuel pump run? When FI bikes sit, it's
fairly common for the pump to gum up, lock up.

If so, when the pump does not run, the ECU will
usually not make sparks...

If so, replacement pumps are cheap ($35)
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #15
jamesau
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Search / post here:
http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/

Good luck!
jamesau is offline   Reply With Quote